This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NeoStar
    BTW - Caligastia, your signature may be good and profound, but I think I've beaten you there

I think not, it is you who is on "The Stand" now...

Tamerlin I would ask that poster "Boris Godunov" what he thinks, hes an opera singer, so Im sure he would be able to tell you which one Finbar was referring to.

Originally posted by Finbar
    Jeepers! You're taking me back a few years with AC/DC and Rose Tattoo. I saw them both live playing in the local pubs when they were just starting out. I don't think I've ever heard anything as loud as Rose Tattoo playing live. I couldn't hear for a week afterwards
    When it comes to rock concert sound, I prefer quality over quantity..

Originally posted by Havak
    Did I forget to add “if the Wallabies win the tri nations” after ‘long forgotten’?
    So what you are saying is that this penalty try will be brought up by aussie rugby fans every time the All Blacks 2002 Tri-nations victory is brought up?

BTW Havak, I will be getting some of those Tigers games on Fox when the season starts, so I guess I will support them in any games I see. When does the season start?

After this final Tri-nations match there seems to be a drought of international matches, or are there some coming up that are not on the rugbyheaven.com calendar? Arent NZ going to be touring Europe?
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• It's just the eccentricity that appeals to me. But I'm not sure it would be enough to sustain me.
      I seriously think you would find it very frustrating – just as Timmy Horan has. They produce the occasional awesome display, but not as often as the talent they possess should return for them. They continue to spend freely however, and now Pienaar has been booted out may finally get it together.

On a different note I would suggest the sentence of having to watch the inferior code for a straight 24 hours if I didn’t think Neostar would enjoy it!

So what you are saying is that this penalty try will be brought up by aussie rugby fans every time the All Blacks 2002 Tri-nations victory is brought up?
      I think you have understood me perfectly.

When does the season start?
      August 31st and the first televised game, on that very day, is Leeds versus Tigers

Arent NZ going to be touring Europe?
      Yes indeed – taking on England, France and Wales in November (the last game is a ‘warm-down’?).

The Australian tour takes on Argentina then heads north playing Ireland, England and Italy in November. The management are bringing handcuffs to stop players signing for UK clubs whilst here.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• Originally posted by Havak

August 31st and the first televised game, on that very day, is Leeds versus Tigers
        Cool! No doubt I will get a chance to see it on Fox. Do you have a link to a website that will give me an overview of all the teams involved and where they are from?

Yes indeed – taking on England, France and Wales in November (the last game is a ‘warm-down’?).

The Australian tour takes on Argentina then heads north playing Ireland, England and Italy in November. The management are bringing handcuffs to stop players signing for UK clubs whilst here.

So there are no internationals till November? How will the rugby thread survive?

Comment

• Start here Caligastia

Premiership sides

The information is last seasons and slightly out of date - but it will give you the flavour of the sides involved.

There are no top four Internationals until November - there are other games each and every month.

I suspect Finbar is worried, with the English league about to start, that I might hold the thread to ransom with obscure references to English clubs and players?
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

I suspect Finbar is worried, with the English league about to start, that I might hold the thread to ransom with obscure references to English clubs and players?
            Thanks for the link. Hopefully I will have some idea of what youre talking about after seeing a couple of games.

Comment

• BTW, is Josh Kronfeld still playing for the Tigers?

Comment

• Looking through that link you gave me, the Zurich Premiership seems to be like the British equivilent of the Super12. I remember you said there is no semi-final or final though. Its whoever finishes at the top of the table who wins in this case, right?

How are the points on the table calculated? How many points for a win etc...

Comment

• Wallabies versus Springbok

History against it:
                  The Wallabies have only won once at high altitude Ellis Park, back in 1963. SA confidence is running high with their near defeat of the All Blacks and because of it the team is unchanged.

History for it:
                  The Wallabies have only really won once convincingly - 26-3 in Cape Town - on SA soil back in 1992, but note that was the Springbok's first year back in world rugby.

The Tri Nations cannot be won only by penalty kicks, 25 points are needed and its not like SA will go through the game scoreless. I'm betting on Gregan to play his natural aggressive game and the injection of Rogers into the 2nd half may come earlier than before. The line out will have to be spot on, because dominating possession will be everything and fortunately, the Aussie line out is showing good signs.

And for those of you thinking maybe this game means little for SA - they must win this to aviod their first Tri Nations whitewash. They're are not just tightening down in defense, Krige has to go for the win.
                  "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

• SA have just as many reasons to play their best as the Wallabies. They certainly have a chance of victory IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                      Tamerlin I would ask that poster "Boris Godunov" what he thinks, hes an opera singer, so Im sure he would be able to tell you which one Finbar was referring to.
                      If Boris is an opera singer, he should know how to spell his surname! Moussorgsky spelled it Godounov. I did politely point that out to Boris in one of his threads and he accused me of spamming.

When it comes to rock concert sound, I prefer quality over quantity..
                      Spoken like a true Split Enz fan.

Not at all. If the Wallabies miss out on the Tri-Nations this year, they have only themselves to blame for falling in a heap against the Boks (first time round) after building a great lead. The "penalty try", OTOH, will be remembered for what it was - a tubby, follically-challenged incompetent at the height of his inconsiderable powers.

BTW Havak, I will be getting some of those Tigers games on Fox when the season starts, so I guess I will support them in any games I see. When does the season start?
                      FoxSports here seems only to show - at club level - some of the various Cup matches rather than the domestic comp. I must look into it.
                      Last edited by finbar; August 15, 2002, 20:29.
                      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

On a different note I would suggest the sentence of having to watch the inferior code for a straight 24 hours if I didn’t think Neostar would enjoy it!
                        Yeah, he's a sicko, all right. I was thinking a sentence of watching synchronised swimming (with the gels in neck-to-knees) for 24 hours straight might be more appropriate.
                        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
                          Yeah, he's a sicko, all right. I was thinking a sentence of watching synchronised swimming (with the gels in neck-to-knees) for 24 hours straight might be more appropriate.
                          Laugh it up fellas, laugh it up

Anyone would go insane after 24 hours of l*****. I'm already going slightly mad watching it every other week (stop running into the defense again and again and do something creative!!! )

I'll afford Fox. One day
                          Last edited by NeoStar; August 15, 2002, 20:13.
                          "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia
                            Looking through that link you gave me, the Zurich Premiership seems to be like the British equivilent of the Super12.
                            *Havak's computer monitor blows a fuse*

Cal - I think their Zurich Premiership is exactly the same as your NPC in that it's entirely club-based and played in divisions. In fact, Havak was saying on one of our earlier threads that there had been moves to create a S12-style comp over there - creating "provincial teams" by taking geographically-linked club player rosters and combining them. It was a nonsensical idea that seems, hopefully, to have died a death. Why interfere with a perfectly sound system? The reason the S12 comp was created here was to: (a) promote the game; and (b) expose players outside the Test squads to (as it were) international competition. The (a) is less of a factor in England, and the (b) is already catered for with their various Cup comps where they're exposed to international (NH) club teams.

BTW, I notice that the NH -v- SH club championship challenge is back on the agenda. I can't imagine when they're going to schedule it with the ABs touring at the end of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeoStar
                              Laugh it up fellas, laugh it up
                              Look on the bright side, NS, you've given us something with which to fill in the dull bit of the week - by which I mean, Sunday to Friday.

Anyone would go insane after 24 hours of l*****. I'm already going slightly mad watching it every other week (stop running into the defense again and again and do something creative!!! )
                              Good grief, man, just stop watching it! Which state are you in? If you're in NSW, you can watch the Sydney club games on the ABC on Saturday arvo. They're good fun.

I'll afford Fox. One day
                              It's only about $12 a week depending on which channels you want. You should be aware, though, that they do show a sh*tload of the L-word.

Comment

• Margins for tomorrow night

I've been doing some research on possible margins for tomorrow night with the various sports betting outfits. The Boks are getting the points start, but the margin varies from 4 1/2 to 12 1/2, with the majority at the lower end of the scale.

Comment

Working...
                                X