"What We Think of America."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What We Think of America."

This is the introduction to an interesting series of essays in a recent issue of the magazine. Granta. The essays aren't anti-American or pro-American, but largely slices of life about how non-Americans view/interact with America. It's interesting, and you ought to try and read some of the xcerpts that are provided online.

'Introduction'
    Ian Jack
    America shapes the way non-Americans live and think. Before the Cold War ended, that had been true of half the world for several decades. Now, with the possible exceptions of North Korea and Burma, it is true of all of it. American cultural, economic and political influence is potent almost everywhere, in every life. What do we think of when we think of America? Fear, resentment, envy, anger, wonder, hope? And when did we start to think it?

By way of introducing the twenty-four writers in this collection of personal story and opinion, I offer two scenes from my own boyhood in Scotland in the 1950s.

The first: a lovely ship at anchor in the firth, perhaps half a mile from our village in Fife. This is the liner Caronia on its annual cruise to northern Europe from New York. Little black launches are coming and going from its pale-green hull to take tourists back and forth to Edinburgh on the further shore. At our feet, strewn along the beach's tideline and soggy with salt water, lie hundreds of half-eaten half-grapefruits. These have been tossed overboard by the Caronia's kitchen crew. This is what Americans have had for breakfast—often neglecting (unbelievably, or so it seems to us) to eat the decoration of glacé cherries, which now also lie so abundantly on the sand. Where have I seen so many decorative cherries before? It must be in the back-page full-colour ad of National Geographic magazine, where they are spiked across something called a York Ham. Possibly some kind of pudding? All these luxuries are coming to us, or to some of us, but not quite yet.

The second: a crowd of boys on another beach, not far away from the first. In the middle is an American boy, who has somehow landed up in Fife. The crowd is taunting him, 'Hank the Yank! Hank the Yank!', and he is red-faced, bewildered and crying. Why are we being so awful to him? Possibly because of some boastfulness on his part, or some argument over whether Britain or the US has the largest number of warships. Impossibly, we insist that Britain has; as a country, we are already living historically (a fact which is illustrated a summer or two later when the USS Wisconsin sails up the firth and drops anchor at the same spot as the Caronia usually does; the Wisconsin is one of a whole fleet of battleships, and Britain by now has none).

I remembered 'Hank the Yank' in the weeks after September 11, when so much anti-American feeling suddenly rose to the surface of newspaper columns and ordinary conversation—and not only in Hebron or Cairo or Lahore. Throughout Europe, even at the supper tables and bars of America's most loyal ally, you could hear (and, let's face it, speak) twin sentiments joined by that dangerous conjunction, but. What has happened is terrible, but it's…hardly surprising or hubris surely or, the most extreme, they had it coming to them. Two months later, the International Herald Tribune reported that in a poll of 275 'opinion leaders' throughout the world—a poll, as it were, of pollsters—more than two-thirds of the non-American respondents agreed with the proposition that it was 'good that Americans now know what it's like to be vulnerable'. More than half of these 'opinion leaders' outside the US also agreed to the idea that many or most people believed that 'American policies or actions in the world were a major cause of the September 11 attacks'.

The pieces that follow are not about that day, nor are they excuses for it. They are about how America has entered non-American lives, and to what effect, for good and bad and both.

Granta 77: What We Think of America
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I used to dislike America, but then I moved here and now I love America.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Move to the south, then you can start disliking it again/
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
        Move to the south, then you can start disliking it again/
        If he moved to the South, he would learn to laugh at people as dumb as you.
        Ex Fide Vive
        Try my new mod and tell me what you think. I will be revising it per suggestions. Nine Governments Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
          I dont need to move south to do that...

Comment

-He wouldn't find too many people to laugh at, unless he also laughed at those who were dumber than me, and then he'd have to laugh at pretty much everybody.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

This is what I'm going to say: every country has its deficiencies, and every country has its share of idiots.

Comment

Now, now, the essays I've linked to are actually more literary and thoughtful than this. Read an essay or two, and stop making comments about the South. It's not that bad.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So far I like most of the southerners Ive met.

Comment

Read an essay or two,
                    -I have.

and stop making comments about the South. It's not that bad.
                    -Do you live there? If not, don't tell it's not that bad.
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

So far I like most of the southerners Ive met.
                      -Sure, they can be likeable people, but that doesn't change the hellhole nature of the American South. And that climate, ugh...
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

the "american way of life" isn't cathcing on.

there is no people with guns, DP is illegal, social security remains strong.

if by "american way of life" they mean elections that's because of democracy nothing to do with america in particular.

if I was to talk about an intrusion of american way of life I would say... consumerism maybe?
                        that's again harly an american sui generis

Comment

My grandfather was a poor imigrant from Italy. All he brought over was his bricklaying skills. He never really learned english, but he tried so hard. Before he Died, he told all of us grandchildren that The US was the greatest country in the world that he had ever been to, including the old country that he loved so well. It wasn't all the apartment building in Chicago that he built and owned, it was because in the basements of each, he had stored all the handmade salami's for curing to later be enjoyed by his family. Everyone has there own reasons for loving their country, For my grandfather, it was the freedom to do what he enjoyed. Unfortunately we were too young to understand why it was important to pay attention when he tried to teach us how to make salami's. His skill passed with him.

Four years after his death, when my grandmother sold one of the buildings, we discovered a stash of around 20 salamis hanging in a back room in the basement. A real treasure, and we were getting old enough to realize what was lost.

God bless him.

RAH
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Great post Rah.

Without a doubt, the USA is the greatest country in the world.

God bless America.

Comment

sorry man but you're gone

nice story BTW Rah.

Comment

Working...
                              X