No announcement yet.

The Arab World Takes a Hard Look at Itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I missed that part... What was that all bout?

But I don't think it strengtens Neds point, since the war was pretty much lost. The russian revolution is much closer to the current situation.

I still don't belive there will be a revolution in palestine, though...
    Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

I think I missed that part... What was that all bout?
      The whole country was going to hell, with winter coming on and food and fuel shortages from the blockade.

Comment

I think Ned's point is very important. A lot can happen in politics in 5 months time. The tide could turn against Arafat now that the fix isn't in, there could be a revolution in Tehran leading to less monetary support for the radical groups, or Saddam Hussein's corpse could be rotting in his bunker after he has blown his own brains out. On these things, I can't help but think that the delta can pretty much only accrue to the wider Arab world's (and our) benefit.

But the other non-political changes don't go so quickly, and that's some of the toughest stuff. Literacy, democratic institutions, open societies, and economics.
        Last edited by DanS; July 19, 2002, 20:13.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Are Malaysia and INdosnesia considered to be apart of the Arab world?

They aren't... that was the point I was making. Pay attention, there will be a test .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            I wonder what the literacy rates were for the US 200 years ago.
            3/4, probably; that was around what the British had.

The literacy in England was unbelievable to outsiders (especially a bit earlier, in middle of 17th century). They marvelled at common working men reading the newspapers (unsustainable without high literacy rates)...
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

First America is blamed for throwing its weight around.

Then the US is blamed for NOT throwing its weight around.

You want us to improve human rights and literacy rates, but you ALSO want to be able to complain that we're expanding our trashy culture of sex and McDonalds in places it isn't wanted.

You can't have both.

Comment

Working...
              X