No announcement yet.

German court rules Nazi reprisal executions justified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paiktis, I know the Nazi's committed atrocity after atrocity. So did the Japanese. Resistance was warranted and actually militarily beneficial.

However, if the German court is right and reprisals are justified - how much of went on was simply a cycle of violence - reprisal for reprisal, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth? We see a lot of that today in the ME.

You might come up with statistics showing a geographic pattern of Nazi atrocities. I am willing to bet that there is a strong correlation to partisan activity.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Not even close, Ned.

We are talking about mass executions by the nazis, burning up of whole villages, tortures etc.

Nothing came close to their monstrocity and I am certaintly glad for every one of those who got killed.

all should be.

Comment

• as i said beofre you are american and you cant really undestand because your country was not under occupation.

a good nazi is a killed nazi.

it's very simple.

Comment

• Partisans were not covered by the Geneva Convention and any side could execute them. The allies also executed Axis partisans.

Where the Germans committed war crimes was with reprisal killings against civilians, which was common practice in all occuppied areas.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• I'm sure the jews fit that category...

Comment

• plus if a country is occuopied by the germans, there is nothing that can be considered a "reprisal".

they came, they had no right to. we kill them we have every right.

repirslas are then war crimes just as the occupation was.

(and the famine, and the brutality)

so each time a nazi is slaughtered, God smiles.

Comment

• Originally posted by paiktis22
                I'm sure the jews fit that category...
                No they fit a different category - crimes against humanity

The guy's defence is interesting - I'd like to see the judgement. The "I was only following orders" defence was not accepted at Nuremburg but it appears to have been accepted here.

Anyway at 93 this guy will soon be facing a higher court
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• Paiktis, I'm sorry for being an ignoramus here, but I was taught when I was growing up that the Nazi's committed these mass murders of whole villages as "reprisals." Was my education wrong?
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

each time a nazi is slaughtered, God smiles.
                    I thought that bears repeating.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• perhaps you should re - read what I wrote Ned.

plus if a country is occuopied by the germans, there is nothing that can be considered a "reprisal".

repirslas are then war crimes just as the occupation was.

(and the famine, and the brutality)

so each time a nazi is slaughtered, God smiles.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I thought that bears repeating.
                        thanks che. i just made it up.

Comment

• AH, I don't think that "just following orders" is the entire defense. I think the court held that reprisals were justified. They probably were justified, under the court's thinking, even if Hitler did not order them.

Comment

• well killing tens of thousands does not count as "reprisals",

first becasue they can be no "reprisals" since the country is occupied and the people have every right to free it.

second because this too counts as crimes against humanity.

we are talking about tens of thousands civilians murdered by nazis

i'm just glad the whole thing was not left in the hands of people who had not their conutry occupied and cant understand.

Comment

• ATHENS, Greece (AP) - Greece says it has evidence that Alois Brunner, the world's most-wanted Nazi war criminal, is in hiding in Syria.

Brunner, a senior Nazi SS officer and elusive fugitive for years, is accused of directing the deportation and killing of at least 130,000 Jews from European countries, including Greece, during World War II.

Government spokesman Dimitris Reppas said Greece, which has close ties with Syria, has evidence that Brunner, 84, is in hiding in Syria. He refused to elaborate, or say where the evidence came from.

Previous reports have said Brunner has been living in Syria since 1954. Syrian officials have always denied this, and they denied Tuesday's report as well.

More than 55,000 Greek Jews, or nearly 98 percent of the Jewish population in the northern port city of Salonica, died in concentration camps.

But Reppas said Tuesday that even though Brunner is implicated in many of those deaths, Greece could not request Brunner's extradition because it transferred its extradition rights to Germany in 1959.

``Still, we would like to see Brunner pay for the gross crimes he committed,'' Reppas said.

Brunner is wanted by Austria, France, Israel, the former Czechoslovakia and Germany, where a $345,000 reward has been posted for his capture.

All other top Nazis have died or been arrested. Adolf Eichman, Hitler's main henchman for the Holocaust, was executed in Israel in 1962.

these are news that make me happy

Comment

plus if a country is occuopied by the germans, there is nothing that can be considered a "reprisal".

Under international Law that isn't right. If you aren't a uniformed combatant fighting as part of a recognised army you have no protection if you take up arms against an occupying army - you are at the mercy of their law. In Hitler's case that was the "Night and Fog" decrees of 1940 and their later elaborations.

But aren't we jumping the gun here? The court hasn't ruled yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X