European Hypocracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European Hypocracy

Many of you have been condeming the US in the threads about the world court, saying the US request that it's UN peacekeepers being exempt for it was both unreasonable and a treaty breaker.

Hope you enjoy this crow, it's well earned:

European Countries Cut Deal to Protect Afghan Peacekeepers

By Colum Lynch
    Special to The Washington Post
    Thursday, June 20, 2002; Page A15

UNITED NATIONS, June 19 -- The United States' leading European allies, who have opposed U.S. efforts to limit the powers of the new international war crimes tribunal, quietly obtained written assurances that their troops serving as peacekeepers in Afghanistan would be immune from arrest or surrender to the court.

Britain, acting on behalf of 19 countries with peacekeepers in Afghanistan, negotiated the guarantees in January in a "military technical agreement" between the British-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and Afghanistan's interim government. Under the terms of the accord, Afghanistan agreed that all members of the force, including U.S. liaison officers, "may not be surrendered to, or otherwise transferred to, the custody of an international tribunal or any other entity or state without the express consent of the contributing nation."

The agreement was reached in "a great rush" and with no public debate, a U.N.-based European diplomat said. Troops from France and Germany also were covered by it.

News of the agreement put the United States and its allies sharply at odds today as the Bush administration formally introduced a draft Security Council resolution that would exclude personnel in all U.N. missions -- military and civilian -- from the reach of the new International Criminal Court (ICC).

European governments, which have been among the court's most prominent backers, announced they would try to block the U.S. proposal. The Bush administration has opposed the creation of the court, which will come into effect on July 1 as the first permanent tribunal for prosecuting genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

European officials at the United Nations said the agreement between the peacekeeping force and the Afghan authorities does not undermine Europe's commitment to the new court. "We believe in the ICC," a British diplomat said. "We see no threat from the ICC."

But a U.S. official cited the agreement as evidence of a double standard by the allies, arguing that the United States is seeking the same guarantees of immunity that Britain and other countries secured for their own forces.

"Sovereignty is a two-way street," Richard W. Williamson, the U.S. representative to the United Nations for political affairs, said in an interview. "We have the same concerns that other members of the council had at the time that ISAF was authorized."

Williamson warned the Security Council today that Washington may withdraw more than 700 U.S. nationals serving in U.N. missions if those concerns are not resolved. He raised the prospect for the first time of a withdrawal of nearly 8,000 American troops serving with NATO forces in U.N.-authorized missions in Kosovo and Bosnia.

"We will not have American men and women serving in peacekeeping operations where they are vulnerable to the reach of the ICC," he said.

The Bush administration renounced its support for the court last month, citing concerns that it could prosecute Americans serving in military or other missions overseas. The administration announced it would seek agreements barring U.S. citizens from being extradited to the court, which will be based in The Hague.

The U.S. resolution faced overwhelming resistance from the council, making it unlikely the administration can garner the nine votes required to force council action. Twelve of the 15 council members said they could not support the resolution, citing concerns that it would undermine the international tribunal.

"We are bound by the ICC," said Norway's U.N. ambassador, Ole Peter Kolby. "This is a problem for us because we have ratified the court."

Advocates of the court have argued that it is designed to prosecute dictators and alleged mass murders, not U.S. soldiers. France and Britain have urged the United States to invoke a provision from the ICC treaty that allows the United States to secure immunity for its troops through bilateral agreements with countries that host U.S. forces.

The Clinton administration signed the ICC treaty but did not send it to the Senate for ratification.

European diplomats said U.S. military commanders insisted that the Afghan peacekeeping force, which operates under U.S. military command and includes American military liaison officers, receive assurances that its personnel would not be handed over to an international tribunal. They maintained that the decision to secure the exemption for their forces should not raise doubts about their commitment to the new court.

"It's completely different thing to negotiate a one-off exemption from prosecution in the midst of a chaotic situation than to pass resolution that gives blanket exemption for everyone," a European diplomat said. "It's a ludicrous comparison."

But a U.S. official challenged that account, saying the British actively sought the exemption to "cover their own butts."

"They did what they felt they had to, and we are doing what we feel we had to," the official said.

Maj. Brad Lowell, spokesman for U.S. Central Command, which oversees the U.S. war in Afghanistan, said there is no similar agreement for U.S. forces there.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

This is not a troll post, I'm only showwing how many of you lack objectivity.

The ol "he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones" seems to apply.
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Oh yes... It's surely so that anyone and everyone that have been opposed to the US policy in this issue took part in the decision at hand personally.

Comment

Hmm you are right.We are always insulting america while it does so many thing for uss.....
      signature:lost/does not exist/whatever/other/....

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
        Oh yes... It's surely so that anyone and everyone that have been opposed to the US policy in this issue took part in the decision at hand personally.
        Read the threads boy, then you can take your foot from your mouth.

It's been going on for two days, and yet Europe did THE EXACT SAME THING for it's people that we asked for, and were told we were arrogant, we think our sh*t doesn't stink, ect.

Your the perfect example of the pathetic bias of a lot of peope here, btw.

This is ANOTHER example of why Americans don't trust you and never will, hypocrits.
        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd

Comment

The euros are often hypocritical when criticising the US, and often bash americans to make themselves feel superior.

I guess they cant deal with the fact that the US is #1.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Croppy, since Europe has seen fit to take issue with the American stance over the World Court, these same governments cutting deals like that is nothing short of hypocrisy.

And we are not taking about every vocal critic of American policies in Europe - god knows there's no lack of those - were talking about Euro governments. There's a difference.
            Last edited by moomin; June 20, 2002, 15:35.
            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH HURTFUL THINGS ABOUT MY COUNTRY?! I find it offensive that you insult my people in this way! Stop disparaging our way of life! And enough with personally insulting me!

Comment

hypoCRISY. hypoCRISY.

*vents over pet peeve*
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                  The euros are often hypocritical when criticising the US, and often bash americans to make themselves feel superior.

I guess they cant deal with the fact that the US is #1.
                  I love the way you and Chris post such fair and balanced arguments, then criticise my posts. I can see I was wrong, you are clearly The Fountain of All Knowledge

Comment

that post was way too long, can anyone summarise for me?
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Face it boys, you are caught red handed, next time THINK before you shoot your mouths off.

Comment

that post was way too long, can anyone summarise for me?
                          Read the title
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Face it boys, you are caught red handed, next time THINK before you shoot your mouths off.

how is everyone who posted 2 days ago supposed to know this happened, the date by the story says June 19th...

now if you could find an older story...
                            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

And I'M accused of trolling?

At least I only criticise your government. You are insulting all Europeans. I would respond in kind but there are actually Americans I like (though you most certainly are not one of the Chris).

Comment

Working...
                              X