First successfull teleportation done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's IntgrSpin when you need him?

Anyway, I think quantum transportation would probably be the only way you can be transported and not have to worry about dying in between, since there can only be one of you at any point in time, so in fact you can't create a duplicate and the paradox never actual comes up.

The real question remains is what creates the illusion of consciousness, being that the entire brain remains very malleable and any one part can change. I guess an analogy can be made to a fire, which looks like a constant thing, but is in fact the very process of change
    Last edited by Thucydides; June 18, 2002, 08:26.
    ku eshte shpata eshte feja
    Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

• Clever said, very clever. Let's see how much matter teleportation differs from light teleportaion.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
        Clever said, very clever. Let's see how much matter teleportation differs from light teleportaion.
        Rather a lot I suspect.

There are two physicists that I know of here.

Rogan Josh and KrazyHorse.

KrazyHorse posted on a less active thread on the same subject. I found it just now.

I think that thread died quick BECAUSE of what KrazyHorse said. Quantum entanglement is neither teleportion nor instantaneous.

Comment

• I wish KH came here and explained something to us in plain English .

But yes, from what I know about physics, atoms and quants differ quite well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stefu

The problem is me being killed!
            If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Stefu

Oh, great. Now you made it look like a religious argument, and the whole knee-jerk atheist crowd can dismiss it out of hand.
              I'd already done that, thanks.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred
                I think that thread died quick BECAUSE of what KrazyHorse said. Quantum entanglement is neither teleportion nor instantaneous.
                They're exploiting quantum entanglement to do a form of teleportation.

It's like they're finding out everything about a particle in one place, relaying the info at lightsepeed to another place and then recreating a duplicate of the particle. The difference between this and what they actually did, though, is that by using quantum entanglement instead of actually processing data about a particle, you get an exact replica every time, and you don't actually have to do a measurement (nature takes care of things for you).

It's like the difference between an infinitely precise analog tape recorder and a CD...
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• KH:
                  1. So if atoms get transported, is the original destroyed?
                  2. Does teleportation happen at light speed, instead of being instant. That is, it will still take a few minutes to get stuff mined on Mars, then, and 2 seconds for Moon.

Comment

• 1) In the process as it stands, yes
                    2) Information cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light. It was true when Einstein came up with the special case of his Theory of Relativity, and it's true now
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Re: 2. It's an arguable thing, IMO. In theory of Einstein and others, the lightspeed is the complete speed limit. However, tachyons might be travelling faster than light, which would also possibly enable them to travel backwards in time. Again, this is what I read in Hawking's books.

Comment

• Tachyons:

a) are only hypothetical particles
                        b) even if they exist, may well be precluded from interacting with things that operate in the time-like Universe
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
                          ...but is made out of metal, then it's well-made duck-imitating robot.
                          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

• But it's not made of metal; it's made of the exact same stuff that you already are.

Stefu, you're already bubbling and fading in and out of existence trillions of times a second at a quantum level anyway. There's no such thing as a continuous consciousness. Ned Ludd would be very proud of you...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Right, there is no sould, so that's quite OK to teleport. Once that has been tested enough to prove safe, I would agree to.

Tachyons hypothetical, you say? I thought it's almost proved they exist.

Comment

• One Question
                                Why does the original need to be destroyed?

And Some Thoughts
                                If the replica is exactly the same as the original, then will it not be the same person? And by same person I mean more than just copy of body and mind, I mean the consciousness that Stefu and others (and I) are worried about being destroyed.

The only way to tell for sure is to teleport someone without destroying the original. Then, if your consciousness still exists in the replica, and in you, then you might be two people at once. But since that seems very improbable, I'm guessing Stefu is right and that it is a suicide machine.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X