No announcement yet.

Olden Days Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Ming's thread "Ok, all the regulars..." (or something like that) at the old addicted site, that summoned people there and got them over to Apolyton.

I remember a poster called Flavor Dave, who always posted interesting threads at the Civ 2 strategy forum and made an art of inventing eye-catching thread names (how about "Rehabilitating King Richard's Crusade"? ).

I remember a poster called Sieve Too, who was extremely knowledgeable in everything about Civ 2.

I remember a poster called Catullus, whose thread "And the winner is - San Marino" initiated the OCC race. I, geofelt and Catullus competed to win the space race with as few cities as possible. I think geofelt or Catullus had it down to 3, when Ming became the first to win a true OCC. I was the second one (yes, I'm a little proud of it! ).

I remember Venger's thread (I think that was his name?) at the Civ 2 strategy forum, calling WLTLD a "crunch for the weaker player". Talk about flame war...

I remember my first encounter with Sten Sture at the forums, and the first trembling MP experiences with him and Bird. As Oedo posted somewhere else, the exchange in the chat room was unbelievably funny!

I remember when the Civ 2 strategy forum was so active it was hard to keep up. New threads, new topics, new strategies, new replies by the minute.

I remember too many racists, fascists, gun fetischists etc in the off-topic forum than I want to. It seems to be better now.

All I can come up with for now.

Carolus

Comment

Woohoo! Carolus Rex posting in the OT! This is really a blast from the past!
      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
      George Orwell

Comment

Talking about the "Olden days." Carolus, you still here?

I remember Venger's thread (I think that was his name?) at the Civ 2 strategy forum, calling WLTLD a "crunch for the weaker player". Talk about flame war...

"Crunch..." was used for a lot of different situations for a long time after he invented the term...
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
          Giancarlo as a side-switcher? He started as a fascist and has evoled into... well... more moderate fascist?
          I find it offensive you still call me a fascist. You have no reason to.

Things I remember were civnation... oh goodness yes... I remember those arguments...
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Ming, already have a few ideas... just need to bounce them off people.
            Bounce!

Just for Siro or someone half-way amusing to come on ICQ .
            Awwwwwwwwwww..... I'm half-way amusing to you

Comment

Ming- you have to admit though that you have killed some story threads- remember my thread- over 15 people signed up, then it was moved to Stories, and only three or four people foudn their way there

No hard feelings though, although we should be allowed to have a good story thread again...
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Imran, I donàt know about those ideas... "1 perhaps seems best, but it also seems as though it would degenerate into a spam fest.

as for number 2, that souds as if it would get strange very quickly, or insulting as people insult others countries

what if you just try to have a political party game or reconstitute the old Mongolia threads
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Most of my post count was accumulated by story threads in the Stories forum.... gosh, that was so long ago... well at least for me it was.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

ottok lives!!!
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

What? A ottok sighting!?

edit: Hmm no

Comment

I remeber the Bill episode. I remember coming here and Empress was the reigning royal one on the board. We seemed to have more regular women posters then.
                        Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                        Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                        You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                          Ming- you have to admit though that you have killed some story threads- remember my thread- over 15 people signed up, then it was moved to Stories, and only three or four people foudn their way there
                          Give me a break... I wasn't the one that set up a diplomacy/stories forum. I'm only a poor mod, not an admin. At least I still allow a story even though there is another forum for them. So don't give me the "I killed some story threads"... I was just doing my job
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Anyone remember the first major Apolyton elections? The Republicans won at first but we were unjustly accused of voting fraud, so a re-vote was called in which the AUP won on a platform of attacking Belize. Lordstone and GS(The AUP candidates) were then immediatly overthrown in a bloody revolution with Imran, MJ, myself and many others...... Good times...
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                              Anyone remember the first major Apolyton elections?
                              I do...
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Smash was the first person to respond to my first thread...

I remember looking at the old site before apolyton... that was about '99. After they didn't have anyone there anymore. Then I found here, and became a poster after about 2 months of lurking. It took another year to migrate south to the OT.
                                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X