No announcement yet.

Damn US Police State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sinple, don't get caught! If you do take it like a man. Which, it seems, you have.

Next time, change in your car and sleep in the bathroom!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Even when I was a long haired college student, it was amazing what a little respect would get you...
      Exactly. Authority isn't something to be dreaded or feared.

It's something to be manipulated.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
        Exactly. Authority isn't something to be dreaded or feared.

It's something to be manipulated.
        The police shouldn't have that much discretion anyways. It gives them way too much power. Since damn near everything is illegal, then its entirely up to the cop to decide whether he is going to bust you for doing something. So if he is having a bad day you are screwed, or if you happen to be black or young, you are screwed.

Who honestly obeys the law to the letter? Who doesn't at least 5 over the speed limit? Hell the entire highway could be going 60 in a 55, and you could get pulled over for breaking the law.

Cops have too much power, we shouldn't be manipulating or groveling for authority, we should be fighting it.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Man, I went to Ocean City last year for senior week and got arrested. All I was doing was smoking ass loads of weed in my hotel room.

The cops were kind of nice, but one was a ***** in that he kept messing with me while I was high. They made me give them my shizzle, then hand over the pipes, then they asked if I had anything else, I said, "Pipe cleaners." This cop freaked out and started acting as though possesion of pipe cleaners was a felony or something. I was high and I started getting really scared, but then they were nice. They even complemented me on the bongs I made out of two liter soda bottles.

But yeah, the Delmarva penninsula sucks ass. I'm never going back.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Also I was as respectful and cooperative as all hell, and they still threw me in jail for the night. It's not like I was going to go on a stoned rampage and start hacking people to pieces with an axe or something. Why should I have been jailed if I wasn't a threat to anybody? The drunks in senior week are the ones who screw everything up and the cops just give them citations. I was minding my own business and giving massive amounts of money to local eateries.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
              Cops have too much power, we shouldn't be manipulating or groveling for authority, we should be fighting it.
              Hmmmm... and he wonders why he has so many problems with them

Put yourself in their shoes for a change. Low paid government servants... Any of their next actions could lead to a dangerous situation. When they pull somebody over for speeding, for all they know, the person could be armed and dangerous and ready to kill them. Think of all the crimes against humanity they have had to see... rape victims, rotting corpses, bleeding victims... you name it...
              It's no surprise that the have an attitude sometimes.

Again... I show them the respect they deserve, and usually get treated fairly in return. They are only doing their jobs.

Now, if you want to complain... complain about the idiots that pass the laws that the cops have to enforce
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have a tip for you. Ming said it and i'm gonna say it too. Treat them with respect. They're doing their job (badly or not), so they like to see someone who is nice to them for once.. be too nice if you have to. Bend over if you have to. That way you're gonna get out of it, and strike back later . Who gives a damn about selfrespect, just do what you have to do. It's not about right and wrong.
                I was pulled over few weeks ago for speeding, not to mention everyone else was doing it too, and few cars actually went by me at the time when they pulled me. So, i played yes sir no sir, and asked am i going to get a ticket for going the same speed everyone else was doing.. so he lost his marbles and let me go. If i had been aggressive etc, he would of given it to me. Fight the power, but do it in a way that it has some effect. Otherwise you're just fooling yourself and the cause.

Oh and if you get nervous, scared etc when confronting officers (some people do, even if they're clean) don't show it. It gives the bastard the feel of power .
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Look, I don't know what you guys do. I'm a notorious speeder and my parking habits would shame Madonna, but I never had a problem with the cops back when I used to live in the States. They stop you, you smile, nod really good, say "Yes, Officer!" a lot and treat them as human beings. And you get off every time - almost. Still got an occasional speeding ticket now and then, but I really deserved it, too.

Anyway, my favourite memory is being stopped by a patrol after doing something like a hundered and I hand this cop my international license and tell him - in my very best Swedish accent - that I thought that was legal because I must have miscalculated the speed in miles back to metric... and the guy scratches his head, chews me out a bit, and lets me off the hook.

Probably went back to his partner and said something bout "Stupid furriner" too. Those were the days.

Your cops are nice, Yankee boys. Cherish them, or we'll send you some Eurocom ones to teach you the true power of the state.
                  Last edited by moomin; June 11, 2002, 06:10.
                  "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                  "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

OzzyKP:

Why are you ranting at the Feds? Insofar as I can tell, all your "problems" were brought about by local and, maybe, state cops.

Comparing the US to China in this case is somewhat laughable. Rant or not, it doesn't make much sense. For starters, you might have simply "disappeared" in China or had an unfortunate "accident" instead of getting a ticket and told to go on your way.

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Yeah, i agree with moominparatrooper, your cops are nice! They can actually let you go. Here if you're getting stopped etc it's 97% chance you're going to jail, or ticket. And if you say anything it's 'shut your face' back to you and if you know what's best for you, you obey .
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I feel for you man...... go to a US province, like the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico, less rules and regulations there.
                        Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

I agree with him (Ozzy) in that there too many laws. It seems the modern way of passing laws is politicians looking in the papers over an issue du jour, becoming outraged, and saying "there ought to be a law". I think this effects people the most who have already been stigmatized, like drug users (or mideast immigrants for that matter). The public gets whipped up into such a froth that politicos can pretty much sneak through whatever they like. It's not until much later that society questions the true ramifications. Anyway, my .02.

Dave
                          "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I have no clue what you guys are doing over on the eastern shore but it must be something incredibly stupid (like smoking an ass load of weed in your when your supposed to smoke it in someone else's room ) Ocean City is a fun time if you know how to handle yourself.
                            When one is someone, why should one want to be something?
                            ~Gustave Flaubert

Comment

You guys don't register the fact that I WAS being nice. I wasn't giving him lip or anything, I complied politely with everything he asked. He demanded my social security card, I told him I didn't have it, he threatened me with jail, I offered to just tell him my number, he asked how he could trust me, I said if it matches with my driver's license then it should be fine. I tried to help him out as much as I could, but he didn't return the favor. He could have just told me to move along, but no, he gave me a 50 dollar ticket and threatened me with jail. I WAS nice.

And I'm glad to hear that our cops are better than Europe, at least there is still some legitimacy to "the land of the free" even on the East Coast. But damn we have a long way to go.

Another point I have, and the reason I intend to challenge this ticket, is that there was no postings anywhere about this restriction. I checked carefully before I parked, I saw a sign that said "permit required 9 am to 4 pm" Since I planned on leaving before 9 am I figured things would be alright for me. I guess if I was awake it would be alright, but because I nodded off I'm suddenly a criminal.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

You people you should say this when the officer asks:

Officer: Your eyes are red, have you been drinking?

And you say: Your eyes are glazed, have you been eating donuts?

A joke I know... that would not be advisable to say unless you want to spend a night in jail.
                                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Working...
                                X