Damn US Police State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn US Police State

Grrr, I'm really frustrated with my country, or at least the East Coast part of my country. (although I'm sure other places arent any better) Too many laws, too many regulations, too many people telling you not to do things and giving you tickets.

My story: My weekend started out rather boringly. So on Sunday I decided to go for a drive. I drove east to check out "DelMarVa" which is the penninsula east of the Chesapeake Bay in which Delaware is on. I drove around and it was pretty cool, I went to check out some of the beaches there, Bethany Beach, Ocean City, and Rehobeth Beach. At Bethany Beach I got a parking ticket because my meter expired 3 minutes before I got back. grrrr. I happened to get to Ocean City at the start of "senior week" so lots of fine ass drunk chicks who wouldn't talk to me. I hung out at Ocean City that night, just strolling the boardwalk, taking in the..uh..scenery...

I got back to my car and drove up the road out of Ocean City (because it was really noisy, the whole city is one big Frat House) I found a quiet neighborhood to park my car and sleep for the night. I was woken up at 6:30 by the police. grrr. Apparently sleeping in your car is illegal and he gave me a $50 ticket, I could have got a room in a motel for that much!

The cop was a bastard too (as most are) and demanded my social security card. This isn't a card that I thought people carried around with them, I don't have mine, and the cop got mad. Telling me that he didn't know who I was otherwise (I don't see the problem with that) he said he could put me in jail for 3-4 hours just because I didn't have my card. What a load of crap.

At Rehobath I see that it is illegal to: sleep on the benches, dig holes, run, have dogs, have bikes, throw objects (frisbees, footballs, etc), no changing in the bathrooms (where the hell are you supposed to change?). These rules are at the other beaches too. Its amazing they let you go in the water at all. What a load of crap.

As with every run-in with the police (i've had several) I become keenly aware of how many things are banned and illegal. There are many things. I feel suffocated, so many things I just want to do are somehow illegal. It seems like the only permitted activities cost money. Since camping, and even sleeping in (or parking) your car is illegal the only possible way the government allows you to sleep is if you pay a hotel a ridiculous amount of money to use a bed for a night.

I just want to scream, there is so many f_cking restrictions out there I feel like I am living in China or something. I'm sure many of the Chinese don't feel they are oppressed, they just know that there are many things that are against the law "for their own good" and they respect and abide by these laws. This isn't too different from how it works in the West. We don't feel oppressed, but there are just laws on everything. People are generally complacent and go along. Well I'm not complacent, and I f-cking hate this sh-t.

I'm just rambling now. But what makes this all even worse, is not that there is an oppressive government, like China, but this is a democratically elected oppressive government, and the majority of people support all these f-cking laws and restrictions. That is the most frustrating thing of all. How can freedom win at the polls when people don't support it? Even if an armed revolution were an option, it wouldn't work because people wouldn't support it. People like their over regulated lives, and I ****ing can't stand it.

I'm gonna move to Montana, build a shack and get away from all these stupid laws and regulations.

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign, breaking up the scenery, blowing my mind, do this don't do that, can't you read the sign?"
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Going to be a dental floss tycoon?

He can't ask for your s.s. card.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You should join me in the Free State Project, a plan for 20,000 libertarians to move to one state with a small population, a native culture responsive to liberty, a good job market, and a coast (or border with another country). It might take awhile to get the required number of people, but just imagine... Wouldn't it be so cool if it worked. It's a lot better than the idea I heard about forming a new country. I think Montana is actually one of the states under consideration. Along with Wyoming, Idaho, New Hampshire, Alaska... I think that's all... Good idea, huh?
      If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Comment

He's not supposed to, but he did. Cops have a lot of discretionary authority. You don't do things they way they want. and suddenly you're distubing the peace or some such.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So you're all going to move to a state and force the people who ive there to impliment your ideas? That's not very nice of you.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

welcome to George Orwell's 1984...in 2002.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

yea, i've heard the idea, (and my vote is for NH, their license plate says it all) but it hasn't caught on so far, and I'm more interested in somehow waking up the rest of the country and getting them to support liberty too. My Montana comment was just a bitter gripe, I'm too much of an activist to just leave others with their problems, I need to help them see the right way.

And if we did get a free state set up, we'd still have to worry about lots of federal restrictions, and they are growing all the time. My pick for a free country would be Liberia, cool name, fairly english speaking, and with a government so plagued by civil strife it'd be easy to take over. It also was set up by the US as a place for freed slaves to go, it would serve nicely as a place for freed citizens to go now. Hell the US Gov't may even support our effort if we could promise stability, prosperity and a good ally in the region. But anyways, I'm not moving to Africa, I'm gonna stay here and ***** about the facist laws I have to deal with here.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Edit - Nevermind....
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

That's one reason why I moved to Tennessee Ozzy. I used to live in Los Angeles and I was ready to kill someone. Here in rural Tennessee everything is legal. We can even pass on the double line (but only one car at a time). Get out of hell while you still have an ounce of sanity.

By the way, I used to live in a van and I was hasseled constantly until I learned to be more sneaky. The trick is to have no windows and pretend that you are not in there. I would hear the police radios at about 3 or 4 in the morning and the cops beating on the van but I would ignore them until they went away. Once though they started to hitch the van to a tow truck so I thought I should get up...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    He's not supposed to, but he did. Cops have a lot of discretionary authority. You don't do things they way they want. and suddenly you're distubing the peace or some such.
                    It has a lot to do with your attitude. I've had no problems with Cops. I say no sir, yes sir... treat them with respect (they are only doing the job we pay them to do), and I don't get hasseled. I talk my way out of most tickets, and even the ones I still get, I do deserve.

Even when I was a long haired college student, it was amazing what a little respect would get you...
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Every single freaken run in with the cops I have been very respectful and compliant. It just gets me screwed over. I've been arrested before, and I find out from others, that had I tried to run I wouldn't have been in any more trouble than I was. I play it nice and they still screw me over. I freaken hate cops with a passion.

Comment

Ausweis! Propuska! Cedula!

"On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                        - Lone Star

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

It has a lot to do with your attitude. I've had no problems with Cops. I say no sir, yes sir...
                          I've seen what happens to folks who mess with cops, which is why it's always yessir nosir with me as well, except once, when my friend and I were walking down the street and not doin' nothing wrong at all. Suddenly six cops were all around us and going through our wallets and questioning us. I was quite pissed and I wasn't as respectful as I could have been. I still have no idea what that was about.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                            I play it nice and they still screw me over. I freaken hate cops with a passion.
                            I'm bettin' that even though you think you're playin' it nice, your body language is saying you hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              I'm bettin' that even though you think you're playin' it nice, your body language is saying you hate them.
                              It is tough to be nice and chipper when a Pig wakes you up at 6:30 in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X