Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Day

This is the annual D Day thread.

Say whatever you like, as long as you don't forget.

Here's an interesting site.
    http://normandy.eb.com/
    Last edited by Richelieu; June 6, 2002, 13:16.
    What?

I never knew that D Day and the 6 days war started in the same date.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

The 6 days war started on the 6th of the 6th? :hmm:
      Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
      -
      My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

Comment

There's a big spread on it in the month's National Geographic. Some interesting stuff. Apparently while the Allies were practicing landings, a group of LSTs were attacked by Nazi torpedo boats. Some of the officers in the LSTs that were sunk had maps and plans on them, so if the Nazis had stuck around and pulled surviros and dead bodies from the water, they might have gotten a clue.

When the dead were picked up by the Allies, they discovered that many of the drowned were floating upsidedown in the water, because they had put their life vests around their waists, rather than their chests. No one had instructed the soldiers how to wear a vest. Discovering this mistake saved many lives on D-Day.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Drekkus
          The 6 days war started on the 6th of the 6th? :hmm:
          hi ,

its cause we are the devil himself , .......

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

And the Canadian gov't does a great job marking D-Day

OTTAWA (CP) - Despite reports that compensation for native veterans was to be announced Thursday, a spokeswoman for Veterans Affairs Minister Rey Pagtakhan said more work is needed on a deal.

"We're committed to finding a solution as quickly as possible but we can't commit to a timing," Amy Butcher said in an interview as native veterans met in Saskatoon to mark D-Day. "We're very close." She would not confirm whether a compensation package has gone to cabinet for approval or if an announcement is expected before Parliament rises later this month for its summer break.

Thousands of First Nations men who fought in the First and Second World Wars and in Korea were denied benefits offered to non-native soldiers, says Perry Bellegarde, chief of the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations.

Native veterans received a maximum of $2,320 to settle land on their return, compared with $6,000 for non-native soldiers. Spousal benefits, education and training and jobs were also denied, says the federation.

Bellegarde is pressing Ottawa to make amends to 800 veterans and 1,000 spouses.

The federation says about $420,000 per person is owed but the government is offering about $123,000 each.

Ottawa has settled in recent years with other shunned veterans, including merchant mariners.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Once again, we pay homage to the millions of soldiers all over the world in all nations who died as a result of one of the ultimate example's of mankind's stupidity and inhumanity to itself. May it never happen again.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

An "Annual" thread from a guy here 6 months?

No matter, 58 years ago units of many nations led by Britain and the United States opened the Second front in Europe in the largest amphibious assault ever seen.

Most of those men are gone now, but their fine deeds remain unforgotten, and they themselves also remain forever in our memories.

Well done boys.

They gave their lives for freedom.
                I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                  May it never happen again.
                  I guarantee worse shall befall us.

Comment

Only eight posts in this thread? Thanks to the British, American, Canadian, Polish and Other guys who gave their lives I enjoyed a very good day today...

Thanks guys, we won't forget...
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

French too.....alot of frenchmen landed at normandy. 8,000 were killed. Most at omaha...and sword.

It is important to remember. Soon as we forget, we are doomed to repeat all over again.

my grandfather used to remember this day fondly. He knew somthing was going to happen, with all the bombing. Not a phone worked in france.

Comment

Remember fondly?

War is one of the stupidest and most horrible things possible. And all of this happened because some guy thought he found the right way and because a whole lot of people were desperate enough to believe him.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

And Germans were killed, too. Let's not forget that soldiers are soldiers, and all died needlessly at the hands of stupid, hateful powermongers who used their own people as pawns in their plans.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

sorry, fondly was the wrong word. doh'. I meant to say strange. From what I knew from what he said, nothing worked in france on the night before overlord. It was so bad they were sending runners hundreds of miles cause all the lines had been cut. He lost alot of friends in the whole ordeal.

Comment

D-Day is a great moment in the 20th century's history. But let's not forget that the bulk of the war effort was carried by the brave people of the USSR.

All allied troops that gave their lives in that war deserve a heartly "thank you" from the people of the world.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X