Pakistan threatens to use nukes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan threatens to use nukes

United Nations, May 30 (PTI) Pakistan has threatened to use nuclear weapons even if India stuck to conventional arms in any conflict, asserting that it has never subscribed to "no-first-use" of atomic weapons and that ruling out their use would give New Delhi a "license to kill."

"India should not have the license to kill with conventional weapons while Pakistan's hands are tied regarding other means to defend itself," said its new ambassador to the United Nations Munir Akram.

The highly bellicose and provocative statements by Akram on the second day on the job yesterday surprised diplomats and officials at the United Nations who declined to make an immediate comment.

Pakistan, he said, has to rely on the "means it possessed to deter Indian aggression" and would not "neutralise" that deterrence by any doctrine of "no-first-use."

To a question at his first news conference after taking over the job, Akram said any action by India across the border, any aerial attack on Pakistani territory and its assets, and any action to economically strangle it would be "viewed" as aggression and would be "responded to by Pakistan."

Noting that both India and Pakistan possessed nuclear weapons, he said while that should instill restraint on both sides, "it does not seem to do so on the Indian side."

The launching of a sharp attack less than 48 hours after taking over, some diplomats believe, could mean that Pakistan plans to use the United Nations for anti-Indian propaganda.

Akram, who had been his country's ambassador to the UN at Geneva, is known for his rhetoric against India and in previous years had also made highly provocative statements on Kashmir during debates whether the occasion demanded or not.

Pakistan, Akram claimed, believed in "no-first-use of force." That was the reason, he said, that Islamabad had offered non-aggression pact to New Delhi but India had rejected it.

"If India reserved the right to use conventional weapons, how could Pakistan - a weaker power-be expected to rule out all means of deterrence."

The United Nations Charter, the Pakistani ambassador said, prohibited the use of force and India should be committed to "non-use-of-force".

Akarm said the Security Council should address the issues of tensions between India and Pakistan which "constituted a threat to international peace and security."

"Whenever there is a threat of use of force against a member state and a threat to international peace and security, there is an obligation for the Council to address that situation," he told the news conference.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

India has roughly twice the troops, aircraft, tanks etc. on the border.
    Pakistan decided to even the odds with about 10 nuclear missles being readied.
    All in all, a rather delicate situation.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Pakistan's bombs are all assumed to by A-bombs, about the size the destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki. India's bombs are supposed to be ten times more powerful.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So much for the idea of nuclear weapons being a deterrent. When tempers flair people use what ever weapon is handy in order to respond. There is no reason to believe that Pakistan will allow itself to be overrun while they sit on their nukes. A border dispute is one thing but if full scale war breaks out then all bets are off.

Comment

Pakistan doesn't have the capacity to destroy India, though the reverse may be true. India could probably destroy Pakistan. In otherwords, Pakistan doesn't have a deterent capability short of a first use policy. India may decide it can take everything Pakistan's got, and then retaliate.

US Intel is estimating as many as 12 million dead. More wounded. It would overwhelm South and Central Asia's capacity to treat the survivors.

Comment

We shall see, Lincoln. Pakistan could still inflict serious damage to India- hopefully their nukes will deter an Indian attack.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Scary - statements like these also raise the likelihood of some kind of pre-emptive strike (by nuclear or conventional means) on Pakistan's missiles in the name of self-defense.
              Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                We shall see, Lincoln. Pakistan could still inflict serious damage to India- hopefully their nukes will deter an Indian attack.
                Hopefully ? Scaring ...

The "good" strategy for Pakistan is to use their nukes as dissuading argument.

They have no enough power to have a more aggressive strategy.

It's only intimidation.
                Zobo Ze Warrior
                --
                Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye
                  Scary - statements like these also raise the likelihood of some kind of pre-emptive strike (by nuclear or conventional means) on Pakistan's missiles in the name of self-defense.
                  There was a story going around a few days ago that this had already happened, and Pakistan's nukes were in the custody of US Special Forces. Seems pretty unlikely to me though.

Comment

Well, yes... it is intimidation. Maybe get India to back down and take some troops off the border. Saying that you might have more troops and weapons on the border, but we do have nukes.

Or, they might wish to say OUR WORDS ARE BACKED BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't think that either country wants to use nukes in any case because of the response they will provoke. The real fear is in the fanatics who would like nothing more than to cause a war that would then spiral out of control.

Comment

"So much for the idea of nuclear weapons being a deterrent."

The jury is still out, but I agree that this could disprove the uniform applicability of WOMD deterrence.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Analysts believe that if the war is contained to Jammu and Kashmir, there is little threat of nuclear war. If India goes after Lahore, however, Pakistan is expected to use its nukes.

Comment

And this, ladies and gents is why the Cold War was a good thing .

The USSR might have sucked ass, but at least there was little chance of a full blown war where nukes might (would) be used.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Im have you got relatives over there?

Comment

Working...
                              X