What's the oldest thing you posess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goingonit
    My oldest artifact is a Roman coin. My oldest object is a fossil I found a couple years ago.
    I had no idea they reached Canada.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I don't possess it directly, but my Dad has a shark's tooth as big as his hand (he's 6'3" tall). Now, how old would that shark have to have been to have a tooth that size? Dad's had it since I was a kid...so it's been outta the sharks mouth at minimum, 25 +/- years. I have no idea how old the thing actually may be. Just is the oldest thing I can think of.

We also have tons of arrowheads found on the family farm and various jobs my Dad has worked.

Comment

A quilt made by my great grandmother for my grandmother when she was a little girl.

--And somewhere in the stuff I got from my parents, there should be a button off of one of my ancestors' U.S. Civil War uniform.

Comment

Not counting stuff like rocks and whatnot, the oldest manmade thing I possess (I think) would be a pair of history books from the last turn of the century. A History of the American People and A History of the British Nation, I believe they are called. Interesting to get a 1900 perspective on things.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

My violin was made in 1874, and I own a halfpenny coin from the Bank of Upper Canada dated 1851.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

i have a piece of the stone steps from which the Mayflower pilgrims boarded their ship in plymouth. these steps had been absorbed by the town and built over long ago, and only uncovered within a week or so of my meeting the owner of the tavern that stands on the location now. it only occurs to me upon reading this thread, but that is the oldest thing i own. .... do pieces of rock even count? i guess all of them are pretty old, but this one was shaped by man, and historically significant.

also, that same trip through england, i met a farmer in devonshire who had a collection of artifacts passed down through his family. mostly uncovered while plowing their fields. the oldest of which were stone arrowheads carved by cavemen.

Comment

I want I had some Roman coins, too .

I got a coin collection, with some older, some very old and some very new coins, a few Roman ones wouldn't harm.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

My grandpa's mandolin - 65 years old.
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by kassiopeia

Wait... haven't those hydrogen atoms in that water existed ever since the formation of the universe?

I have seen photons from then. Between channels on my TV. Half the noise is from the cosmic microwave background.

No wait, thats not quite as old as that subatomic particles in hydrogen.

Think I have some pennies and nickles from the 1890s or so. Hey there just isn't a lot of really old man made stuff in California.

Comment

Got this coin from the Shang dynasty. Very ancient object, that

Also have some rocks that could be 300 million years old.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The oldest thing I bought is a 1970 original of the Band of Gypsys (Hendrix) LP.
                        None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely belive they are free. (Goethe)

Comment

My virginity
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

An album full of Kosovo-related (the battle) that is between 500-100 years old. Most of it is family type stuff. I can trace back my ancestory to around 1300.

I still haven't forgiven those damn Turks for invading.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A gene pool old from at least 50 000 years...
                              Zobo Ze Warrior
                              --
                              Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

PH, I thought it was only a joke.... unless your jokes are the oldest thing you possess.... confusing...

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X