No announcement yet.

What's the oldest thing you posess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The oldest thing I possess? My brain cells, obviously.
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

My rented student accomodation is...

Five hundred years old!

The front door is less than six foot high, and the 'communal' stairs are spiral, to defend against right-handed attackers.

Comment

But you don't own it

When I come and think about it, my (paternal) grand father might own some even older stuff than these maps of mine. Can't be a lot older though, apart from some tiny knick-knack, maybe

Comment

also 3 crosses. one gold and two silver. (but i only have the gold one)

according to family legend, my grandpa, when he was young, found them in his yard one morning. he took them to a priest and the priest said "the two silver crosses mean the two daughters that you wil have. the gold cross means the one grandson that you will have".

that's exactly what happened.... my mom and my aunt are now in possession of the silver ones and i have the gold. pretty amazing.

Comment

I've got an American Indian Head penny from 1890.
            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Paiktis, you are his only grandson?

Comment

yup.

Comment

I didn't ask that to get a formal reply, I think I sort of figured that. Do you have many female cousins from that side?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                    I didn't ask that to get a formal reply
                    i know

Comment

he should ban you instead of wasting his time getting trolled by me

Comment

Not counting coins, the oldest thing I own is a Darwin Ape statue. It is an ape sitting on a stack of books, one titled Darwin, staring at a human skull. It dates to around 1963.
                        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Talking about coins, I keep getting told by my father that I once found a 19th century French coin in some field in the north of this country.

Comment

I too have a stone scraping tool. Sharp as hell. I found it in my backyard here in California, so I sincerely doubt it is more 10,000 years old.
                            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Myn grandfather's Naval sword. (1920)

Comment

GP, the oldest thing you possess is, just like in paiktis' case, also a family heirloom. It is called alcoholism.

Comment

Working...
                                X