Age of Consent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Consent

I just realised that both the UK and Israel both equalised the gay and straight ages of consent at 16 in November 2000. Coincidence.

Didn't seem to get much press when it was finally pushed through.

Wow -- that is cool.

But that is just another example where the United States is a step behind in equal rights.

But this is great news for UK and Israel.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Bullsh!t. Kids today are spoiled and like a dog (yes children are likd dogs) they are dependant upon their parents.

Therefore the kid isn't able to live on their own until at least 18. Therefore consent should be 18. Yes there are instances of kids mature at an earlier age. But that is an exception to the rule.

The way things are going today they should change adulthood to 21. Kids are living with their parents all the way through college. They aren't able to support themselves.

Comment

Actually, red_jon --- it would have been better had the age of consent been made equal for all sexual orientations at the age of 18.

Dissident had a good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
          Bullsh!t. Kids today are spoiled and like a dog (yes children are likd dogs) they are dependant upon their parents.

Therefore the kid isn't able to live on their own until at least 18. Therefore consent should be 18. Yes there are instances of kids mature at an earlier age. But that is an exception to the rule.

The way things are going today they should change adulthood to 21. Kids are living with their parents all the way through college. They aren't able to support themselves.
          Yes, before you know it they'll become black crack-addicted single mother asylum seekers!

Comment

way to twist my words around.

my post had nothing to do with crack or single moms. It has to do with maturity.

Comment

Raising the age will not stop people having sex, it wouldn't stop me or any of my friends. Or anyone I know for that matter.

Cannabis is still illegal yet most of the people I know have taken it.

Comment

well I realize it won't change when people have sex. Kids have sex at 12 or 13. That is far below the age.

But sometimes I get tired of kids who say they can die for their country at 18 but can't drink a beer. A simple solution would be to raise adulthood to 21. So they can't die for their country until they are 21 . Raise smoking age to 21 as well to eliminate confusion.

Comment

Lower everything to 16 like Holland. Was nice to have my first legal drink.

Comment

But red_jon, by lowering the age of consent, we're that much closer to legitimizing pedophilia.

Or am I mistaken??

Comment

Nah, I'd rather make everything 18. After you finish high school, then you are an adult, and can make choices. Before then you can't.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

actually I think paedophilia laws should be clarified. Although I may be mistaken. because there are separate laws for children under 14 (or is it 12). Having sex with a 15 year old is just statutary rape, but not paedophilia. Although you will still probably be listed as a sex offender.

Comment

pedophilia? What on earth does that have to do with anything? And why do so many people think we can get rid of any problems through bans, limits, laws and regulations?

Age of consent is 15 here, and the same thing with the purchase of alcohol. There wasn't even an age limit for alcohol when I was a kid, and there still isn't one for smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            Nah, I'd rather make everything 18. After you finish high school, then you are an adult, and can make choices. Before then you can't.
                            We finish high school at sixteen. I feel I am able to make choices.

And Mr. Fun - paedophillia is when an adult fancies children. I think most people have hit puberty by 16.

Comment

I thought what you meant by age of consent, was when a person can legally consent to having sex with an older adult.

Comment

Working...
                              X