Evolution: A religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution: A religion?

I personally beleive it is. Evolution cannot be proven, it requires one to have faith in it, and therefore meets my standards for a religion.

This has nothing to do with the truth of evolution, i will save that argument for later... maybe.
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

there was supposed to be a poll but i screwed up.
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

[quote]
      re·li·gion Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
      n.

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
      A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
      The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
      A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
      A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
      No, no, no, no, and no

Science is not a religion
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Yes, evolution can't be "proven" with any certainty. But nothing can be proven with any certainty.

If evolution is a religion, so is everything else.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion
          perchance you are blind? I have seen countless people trying to convert me to Evolution.

maybe a cult then, a vast cult dedicated to chance?

Comment

"A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. "

Actually, I've seen a lot of that with Evolution and it is a definition for religeon. So, it just may be a religion.
            There are three types of people in this world:

Those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

then those people may be fanatical evolutionists...but I don't feel that that makes evolution a religion...

like Ramo said...if evolution is a religion, than it's also a religion to believe that I have typed this, as you can't prove it.
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Re: Evolution: A religion?

Originally posted by SKILORD
                I personally beleive it is. Evolution cannot be proven
                Not only can it be proven, it has been proven. Not to the actively ignorant but that is not the same as unproven. Some people still think the world is flat but the fact is that is that it has proven pretty close to round.

, it requires one to have faith in it, and therefore meets my standards for a religion.
                It only requires knowledge no faith is needed.

This has nothing to do with the truth of evolution, i will save that argument for later... maybe.
                There was no truth in anything you said so far so its unlikely that you get around to using any in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by orange
                  then those people may be fanatical evolutionists...but I don't feel that that makes evolution a religion...

like Ramo said...if evolution is a religion, than it's also a religion to believe that I have typed this, as you can't prove it.
                  As for the first thing, I have seen a LOT of people who are fanatical about evolution.

And there isn't a religion to believe that you typed that because it doesn't nearly meet any of the requirements in that list. Where as evolution does..

Comment

Originally posted by SKILORD

perchance you are blind? I have seen countless people trying to convert me to Evolution.
                    Not convert. Show you reality. Its not the same thing as conversion. Unless of course the pain of thinking counts as conversion to you.

Not chance. Environment. Evolution is not merely by chance. It is directed by the environment every bit as much as breeding dogs is directed by the breeders.

Chance only supplies the raw material of variation. It is the environment that directs the changes.

Comment

"Not only can it be proven, it has been proven. Not to the actively ignorant but that is not the same as unproven. Some people still think the world is flat but the fact is that is that it has proven pretty close to round. "

No, it hasn't been proven. There is absolutely no proof that we evolved from monkeys and apes. That theory has gotten so much recognition because it is the only thing science could reasonably come up with to counter growing creationism. Also, it was created by darwin, who believed it because of opposable thumbs and semi-upright walking of apes. That doesn't sound exactly like proof to me. Also, if we evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

Comment

Re: Re: Evolution: A religion?

Originally posted by Ethelred

Not only can it be proven, it has been proven. Not to the actively ignorant but that is not the same as unproven. Some people still think the world is flat but the fact is that is that it has proven pretty close to round.
                        how has it been proven then... have they replicated it then?

It only requires knowledge no faith is needed.
                        anyone who truely beleived in their religion would say the same thing about theirs.

Comment

This has been gone over 1000 times in these forums.

Yes, evolution has been proven. It has been observed in nature. The exact nature of HOW evolution happens is what is subject of many theories, but evolution is scientific fact.

Creationists always start posting here, make circular arguments and then run away crying. So to save you time, just read this:

Explores creation/evolution/intelligent design, gives the evidence for evolution, and tells what's wrong with intelligent design & other forms of creationism.

And there you will have it. No more posts here required.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred
                            Not chance. Environment. Evolution is not merely by chance. It is directed by the environment every bit as much as breeding dogs is directed by the breeders.

Chance only supplies the raw material of variation. It is the environment that directs the changes.
                            so you accept that it's a cult then?

Comment

I've read it. That doesn't solve the arguement. The evolution of creatures in the wild who survive purely on instinct and must evolve as instinct dictates does not prove that humans(independent thinkers) evolved from purely instinctal apes just because they have opposable thumbs. So until they watch a man pop out of a monkey, it's not proven.

Comment

Working...
                              X