Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which company is more evil? Sony or Microsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saint Marcus
    loads of software companies now don't have any profit at all, due to the collapse of the market.
    Like who?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

why would I need a harddrive for my console?

Like who?
      Getronics (owners of the American Wang Global) and Baan to name the two key dutch software makers. Those are the two first to come to mind. But in general, the software makers aren't doing as well as in the late 1990s. Goes for most tech companies btw. MS is a rare exception of a company who's profits only increase over time. The obvious reason is it's monopoly.
      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

why would I need a harddrive for my console?
        Gee, I thought you were brighter than that.

• Don't ever need to buy a memory card.
      • Can rip CDs to the Xbox and use customized soundtracks in games from those songs.
      • Can cache HUGE levels and other data on the hard drive and stream it while you play (access is 10x faster from the HD than it is from the Xbox DVD, 15x faster than the PS2 DVD)
      • Can install "booster packs" like the DOA3 Booster Pack, which added more moves and more costumes and more videos for free.
      • Makes games like Blinx and Project Ego possible, which require many megabytes of permant storage space impossible to do with memory cards.

Getronics (owners of the American Wang Global) and Baan to name the two key dutch software makers. Those are the two first to come to mind. But in general, the software makers aren't doing as well as in the late 1990s. Goes for most tech companies btw. MS is a rare exception of a company who's profits only increase over time. The obvious reason is it's monopoly.
        I've never heard of either company, and I'd like you to explain how they were hurt in terms of profit. Was it MS' fault?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Don't ever need to buy a memory card.
        I do since I'm taking my GT3 garage to my mates place. a bit stupid to take an entire console with me.

Can rip CDs to the Xbox and use customized soundtracks in games from those songs.
        don't care. if I want music, I don't need my console. turn music off, turn my stereo on. problem solved.

Can cache HUGE levels and other data on the hard drive and stream it while you play (access is 10x faster from the HD than it is from the Xbox DVD, 15x faster than the PS2 DVD)
        also don't care.

Can install "booster packs" like the DOA3 Booster Pack, which added more moves and more costumes and more videos for free.

Makes games like Blinx and Project Ego possible, which require many megabytes of permant storage space impossible to do with memory cards.
        also don't care.

I have a PC. why need another, sized down, one?

I've never heard of either company, and I'd like you to explain how they were hurt in terms of profit. Was it MS' fault?
        No hurt by MS. Hurt by the current troubles in the tech sector. MS is not/less hurt by that because they have a monopoly.

as you can see, tech/IT sectors aren't doing so well. Some companies are still doing well of course. MS is one of those. It's because they have a monopoly. They can charge as much for their products as they want, and people will be forced to buy it.

Let's see if you know this: how much does WinXP pro-edition cost, and how much does OfficeXP pro-edition cost?

Also explain to me why MS stopped selling W2k/Office2000/WM as soon as XP came out? Now people are forced to buy their new, overpriced product. I myself would much rather buy W2K and Office 2000 for half the price of the XP version. Sadly, I don't have that option anymore unless some retailers still have them in stocks. This is clearly not the case for sony, since you can still buy the PSone and PSone games.
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

I do since I'm taking my GT3 garage to my mates place. a bit stupid to take an entire console with me.
          Feel free to buy the 8M memory cards, which are the same price as the PS2s.

Or once Xbox Live is up and running you can just send the saved games to him over the internet.

don't care. if I want music, I don't need my console. turn music off, turn my stereo on. problem solved.

also don't care.

also don't care.

I have a PC. why need another, sized down, one?
          You NEED the hard drive to play upcoming PS2 games, like FFXI. Get used to it, permanent storage does not make something a PC.

Nintendo and Sony should have done it to begin with, and it's rather pathetic that you say you "don't care".

PS3 will come with one, guaranteed, and when it does you'll be singing its praises. Pathetic.

The reasoning that the Xbox is nothing but a downsized PC is incredibly inept and a last-ditch effort to find something to cripe about with the Xbox. It's got lots of PC components in it, but the actual configuration of them is nothing like a PC (look at it yourself). Not to mention the PC doesn't allow you to write directly to hardware like the Xbox does (runs all code at ring0 rather than ring3), and is far more specialized so there's no OS overhead.

Let's see if you know this: how much does WinXP pro-edition cost, and how much does OfficeXP pro-edition cost?
          Depends on if you're upgrading, buying a new one, or are an OEM.

Also explain to me why MS stopped selling W2k/Office2000/WM as soon as XP came out? Now people are forced to buy their new, overpriced product.
          Because it's the old version? Duh?

And if you'd look at the pricepoints, you'd see Office XP took 2000's price point and 2000 was marked down for clearance afterwards. Windows 2000 is still being sold, btw. It's roughly the same price as Win XP Pro (give or take $4)

I myself would much rather buy W2K and Office 2000 for half the price of the XP version. Sadly, I don't have that option anymore unless some retailers still have them in stocks. This is clearly not the case for sony, since you can still buy the PSone and PSone games.
          Um. You seem to think that with every version of Windows and Office the price goes up.

You do know that the new version just takes the pricepoint of the old version, and the old versions are marked down for clearance, right?

Comment

Sony.

Back in 2000, the Offspring planned to release their newest album for free download off their website. Sony Music (which owns their label, Columbia) threatened the band with a lawsuit that would have delayed the album release and subsequent tour as well as forcing them to remove the album for download. The band released only a single off the album instead and the album was released on it's intended date. That is one major reason why I dislike the RIAA.

Comment

• Working...
              X