Agnostics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aeson
    To answer without properly understanding the question would be dishonest regardless of what answer was given.

The term agnostic is made up of the prefix 'a-" and the term gnostic. 'A-' means without, and gnostic is greek for knowlege. An agnostic is one who admits to not knowing. I consider myself an agnostic because I don't believe any knowlege is absolute, regarding God or otherwise. I admit my beliefs are not knowlege, therefore I do not know.

"I don't know" is a valid answer to any question where the answer is not known. Giving this answer doesn't mean the question is being dodged. Often people are unsure about their own beliefs, so even asking "do you believe" doesn't require a definitive answer.

Only an omniscient being could be unconditionally considered "waffling" by giving such an answer. If you atheists are suggesting agnostics are omniscient you are wrong. (but we appreciate the sentiment)
    BRAVO! , Aeson, I 'believe' I agree with everything you said.

Unfortunately many people are too pusillanimous to admit doubt.

Now let us discuss another 'simple' question:
    Do you believe in %b&@#Zq?
    Jews have the Torah, Zionists have a State

Comment

• I am a very devout %b&@#Zqist

Comment

• --"Agnostics are dodging a simple question. The question is "Do you believe in the existence of a supernatural being (or a group of supernatural beings?""

How are we dodging this question? My answer is simple. No, I do not believe in the existence of a supernatural being. This is because I am opposed to the concept of belief. I accept this a posibility, however remote, and am open to actual facts on the matter, but I do not "believe".

--"Such basic beliefs include assumptions such as:"

Please consider your terminology. Assumptions are self-evident, they just can't be proven within the system they are assumption for. Beliefs are neither self-evident nor provable, within or outside the system.

Wraith
        "Respect the gods, but have as little to do with them as possible."
        -- Confucius

Comment

• Agnostics smell like old toenails.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• I will defer to your expertise on old toe nail sniffing.

But not on Agnostics. Sometimes I smell like sweat for instance.

Do you get a high sniffing old toenails? What is the attraction in the endeavor? Does it pay well?

Comment

Working...
            X