For all heathen foreigners, I've translated the basic content:

Japan:
    GameCube: 1 570 000
    Xbox: 250 000

US:
    GameCube: 2 230 000
    Xbox: 1 800 000

Europe:
    GameCube: 400 000 (slightly dated figures)
    Xbox: 500 000 (since the release as of March, 14)

Overall:
    GameCube: 4 200 000 (assumably more)
    Xbox: 2 550 000

(Source: Reuters)

To the MS fanboys... Let me just say: Ouch.

Comment

• Ugh. Not those figures AGAIN!

Those are the Reuters figures from last week, and are completely incorrect.

Why are they incorrect? They're based on the announced figures in each company's press releases. Why is that a big deal? Sony and Nintendo report units "sold" as in "sold to retailers" (really shipped), and they report nearly weekly their "sales". Microsoft does not have the infrastructure to maintain track of its own sales, and relies on an analyst company called NPD Trust which does console sales analysis. NPD Trust accounts for about 60% of the units sold worldwide anyway. NPD Trust counts sales as in sales sold to CUSTOMERS. NOT how many the companies shipped to stores, like Nintendo/Sony report.

Now, the last time Microsoft announced sales figures was a long, long time ago (You'll actually find a press release showing, in North America for example, 1.8M Xboxes by the end of February). Hell, 1.5M were sold by December!

Will anyone really believe that since February, *0* Xboxes were sold in North America?

Even after the pricedrop?

Get real. The figures are up to date for Sony and Nintendo, and the MS figures are from February. Somehow this is an astonishing revelation?

Reuters screwed up bigtime with this. MS is announcing real console sales at the beginning of July.

All and all, a bull**** article that only seems to be making the rounds to Nintendo fansites as they all jump for joy. It'll be fun when the real figures are announced later and they all can't believe the Xbox sold that much.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Sorry, I trust Reuters more than you.

Comment

• Okay, be that way.

I expect an apology in July.

Why don't you look at it logically for a second (most newspapers did, which is why none have printed it that I know of):
          1.5M Xboxes in North America by December 31, 1.2M Gamecubes by December 31st (confirmed by MS and Nintendo and third party analysts).

Now, you're saying that in six months, the Xbox only sold 300,000 copies in North America, even after the $299->$199 pricedrop which sent sales up 800% (for both PS2 & Xbox)?

Does that make any sense to you?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• More proof: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t278-s2110538,00.html

Speaking at a news conference on the first night of the industry's annual trade show, the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Chief Xbox Officer Robbie Bach said the console sold 1.8 million units in North America in the five months after its 15 November launch.
            So the figures you're looking at are only good up through mid-March for the Xbox in North America. Whereas your Gamecube figures were as of Nintendo's pre-E3 press conference. Which was what, May 21st?

Those figures are conveniently missing for half of March and April and May, where the Xbox had a huge, huge boost in sales described by Electronics Boutique as a "second launch" when the price was drastically cut to $199, where most stores sold out in North America. Further, they reported continued strong sales as well.

Comment

• To be honest, I just found the figures spectacular and posted them. They may be incorrect, should that be proven I'll send you a Mario Pez dispenser as compensation for your suffering, OK?

Btw, December 31-Middle May would be 4,5 months, not six.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saint Marcus
                And yes, it's already over, the PS2 can't be beaten anymore.

Better luck next time, Microsoft. I'm sure there will be a new console war in 2005 or so.
                I need to use your crystal ball please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juggernaut
                  To be honest, I just found the figures spectacular and posted them. They may be incorrect, should that be proven I'll send you a Mario Pez dispenser as compensation for your suffering, OK?

Btw, December 31-Middle May would be 4,5 months, not six.
                  Well, 5 months. I was thinking it's almost the sixth month. You'll have to excuse me, I'm coming off a high right now.

Comment

• Standings in the console war:

1. PS2
                    2. GC
                    3. XBox
                    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

• In terms of sales, yeah.

In terms of games:
                      1. PS2 (250 as of today)
                      2. Xbox (70 as of today)
                      3. Gamecube (41 as of today)

The only reason the Gamecube has a very small edge over Xbox in sales right now is Japan and the pricepoint, according to Sony's press conference with their numbers. They claimed Xbox had 3.5-4M units sold whereas Gamecube had "4M", but in Japan alone the Gamecube has 1.25M more than the Xbox. Quick mental math would therefore show that in Europe and North America there are more Xboxes than Gamecubes in people's hands (although in Europe the Gamecube will probably surpass pretty soon).

Comment

• Asher, would you happen to own MS stock?
                        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

• Used to, 2 years ago.

Comment

• Ok, just checkin'. Hang in there, man!
                            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Working...
                            X