Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football (why do the the yanks insist on calling it soccer?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Re: Football (why do the the yanks insist on calling it soccer?)

Originally posted by Aeson

Maybe if you count broken nails as an injury... Tennis is a sport with a high injury rate (turned ankles and 'tennis elbow'), it doesn't mean it's a rough sport though.
    Most of the injuries are from gymnastics type stuff. Flips and what not, where there is a potential for neck injuries. They usually have minimal training for these types of tricks and do them on harder surfaces than a gymnastics floor. I doubt they get hurt much from bouncing up and down or from verbally leading cheers.

Comment

I wonder which came first: Soccer, or American Football?
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

In Ringball the losing team is killed.
        The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
        Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

With all do respect to ARF. The pads and helmets make things A WHOLE lot painful.

I know, I played when I was younger. It hurts like hell to get hit with Steel in the elbow or smashed head to head till you see stars and pass out. Or having your ****in mask fall full weight on your fingers in a cold weather game.

And the piles, Its ugly. You get 7-8 men in a pile, lots of NASTY things happen. Screaming, panicking, pinching, grabbing, hell even now and then you'de get a damn biter. I hate those guys, you never can find the ass who does it cause the victim is usually on the bottom...oh the horror the middle school football..

Comment

The Oakland Raider will be the World Football Champs this year, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              I wonder which came first: Soccer, or American Football?
              Er, soccer

Actually, this brings up the old debate about which came first - football or rugby?

Rugby Union folklore has it that some bloke called William Webb Ellis while playing football at a school called Rugby picked up the ball and ran with it. However, this contradicts reports of football developing as a working-class version of a game with tackling being banned upon the advent of cobblestones paving the roads of English towns. Once tackling was banned, inevitably ball handling must have been too. The original version of "rugby" was then confined to estates with grass fields, hence only the wealthy. Ironically, decades after the W.W. Ellis incident, Rugby League was formed as a professional breakaway to Rugby to provide compensation for injured Coal Miners. So which came first, the chicken or the egg??

I find it strange that Rugby fans ignore a much longer history in favour of a cute story about a guy inventing the game by breaking the rules of the game of the day
              Last edited by Lung; May 16, 2002, 22:14.

Comment

Football came around the 1870's. A few people would toss around pig skin stuffed with dirt or cotton. It didnt catch on till around 1910, when actual teams where formed

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                  Football came around the 1870's. A few people would toss around pig skin stuffed with dirt or cotton. It didnt catch on till around 1910, when actual teams where formed
                  I think yer wrong, dirtbag!! A couple of centuries too late, as usual Anyway, i saw them playing American Football on Little House on the Prairie set back in the 1800's, so you must be wrong

Comment

It cought on very quickly and was already a well-known college sport at the turn of the century.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                      It cought on very quickly and was already a well-known college sport at the turn of the century.
                      Just ignore him. He won't go away, but it will make you feel better

Comment

whatya drinking, Lungfish?

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                          whatya drinking, Lungfish?
                          Nothing, yet I was referring to that Faded Glory nutter. He never knows what he's talking about. He probably still thinks he was found in the cabbage patch

Comment

I remember when he explained about the famous 80's airborne invasion of Iraq (by US). Pretty funny to watch when Chris and MTG rolled in...

Comment

Hence the reference to his drnuken gibberish under my avatar

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Football (why do the the yanks insist on calling it soccer?)

Originally posted by rah
                                No it was based on severe sprains and broken bones. It's baseball players that sit out with hangnails.
                                I still don't believe it. The part about the baseball players is spot on though.

There are a lot of injuries that happen in every single football game/practice that guys just have to play through. Bruises, sprains, dislocations (mostly fingers), and hyperextensions are common things that everyone ends up with.

Conversely I've never seen a (highschool) cheerleader get injured, or come to school injured. I could believe it if it was for college cheerleaders, as for the most part they do much more dangerous routines.

The fat girls waving their pom poms at my high schools... no way.

Comment

Working...
                                X