Where are the people of my age group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the people of my age group?

You know, it is a bit of an enigma to me what people of my own age do. If you go out, you never see them around, you never come across them. I mean, what do they do? It's quite weird that I still 'have a life' at 24 when most people my age just seem to have disappeared, contracted terminal boredom or got married off.

Mike perhaps might know and understand what I am on about, or is it just the thing where everyone else my age has got out of Hull while they had the chance?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

I would expect them to live elsewhere in the UK, in Manc or even further southwards...

Comment

Well not everyone can live in other cities, there must be people around here. As I said, people like MikeH or Big Crunch would be the most useful to answer this question, being a similar age and British. Perhaps they can give me an insight I am not aware of.

It's not just me either, I have a friend who is baffled by this little conundrum.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

there are busy trying to discover new goals for their lives

Comment

I'm almost certain most of them moved out of your city, although I can't tell a lot about the situation there.

Not many of that age live in this place anymore, and not many of my age either. From 1990 on, less children were born so the youth is dying out in the East.

Comment

Please elaborate paiktis, I am intrigued...

Yeah, well I think anyone with brains got out of this place, as I am trying to do (it was a rare set of coincidences that means I am still in this city, and hopefully for not too much longer). But it just seems to be the case nowadays. Perhaps I am going to the wrong places, or the fact that they just don't go out and have fun any more. Is this the best life has in store for people? Perpetual television watchers? Bah!
            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Those jobs you're applying to, where are they? Hopefully not in Hull, otherwise would mean you're not trying hard enough

Comment

Not in Hull at all, in Manchester and surrounding area mostly.
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

After university leaving age most people find things called 'Jobs' these involve going out to 'work' each day and getting 'paid'. If you get a 'job' you will find that there are a lot of 'workers' who are in their mid twenties.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Yeah, but what do they do when not in 'work' such as 'evenings' and 'weekends'
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

There are loads of people my age in Reading, London and Bristol that I know. Perhaps it's just that as many as possible moved out of Hell.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

I hope you guys are aware of the fact there's been an 'invention' called 'TV' and in that 'invention' they do 'shows'

(couldn't reists to quote SLJ )

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          Please elaborate paiktis, I am intrigued...
                          what I mean is this (from my point of view):

when you were in highschool you had the aim of finishing highschool

when you did you had the aim of entering university

when you did you had the aim of finishing univeristy

when you did you had the aim of going to do a Master's

you did that and had tohe aim to finish the master's

when you finished the master's you knew that the next step is to do your miltiary service

you did you military service and then, suddendly you find yourself without concrete, clear cut, pre-defined goals....

society claims the next step is to find a job

you find a job and what next..?
                          society claims you should marry and have children and then die.

but somehow things are not so clear cut now - you have a freedom that sometimes seems like a chore than blessing.

suddendly you find yourself with limitless possibilities going at all directions and no "responsibilities" towards anyone but yourself. (mostly).

so you can easily become a bit lost... for a while...

you find yourself without concrete clear goals...
                          so you have to make up your own.

also the power of adraneia(?) inactivity?? where a ball keeps rolling and it will keep rolling unless you do something to change its direction - is also strong and many times makes you delay things.... you passively sometimes "let things be as they are" because of whatever reasons, because it is easier, but in the end this is bad for you

when we were younger maybe it was easier to choose and define our goals and to follow them.
                          typical stuff.

Comment

Society says: don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here.

Comment

Where are the people of my age group?

I guess that they're having sex somewhere.
                              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                              X