Council of Europe agrees to abolish barrbaric punishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun
    Striking a child on the ass still constitutes physical violence in my opinion.

I do not care how many people on Apolyton brag about how well they are now, because of the physical violence they received as "discipline."

Again -- it does not matter WHERE you strike a child -- physical violence is physical violence.
    ok. Physical violence is an effective tool for behavior modification. Good for em too. Too many computer geeks running around that think that if they get a smack the world will stop...

FYI: You are participating in the TJ!

Comment

physical violence is physical violence.
      So what? That's the point of corporal punishment.
      "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Originally posted by GP

ok. Physical violence is an effective tool for behavior modification. Good for em too. Too many computer geeks running around that think that if they get a smack the world will stop...

FYI: You are participating in the TJ!
        I know -- I guess I fell under the spell of the thread-jack topic.

And nationalist and GP --- physical violence is never appropriate for disciplining children. It just teaches that physical violence is the right way to resolve problems --- when it is not the right way.

You can brag all you want how you are now citizen role-models because of the physical violence you were subjected to. Morally, physical violence is wrong.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Morally, physical violence is wrong.
          I disagree 100%. Physical violence is not always morally wrong, and spanking doesn't teach a child to always deal with things using violence.
          "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Does anyone here remember that the US tried abolishing the DP for a period of time? Violent crime multipied during the period in which the death penalty was abolished. To aggrevate the problem monsters like Charles Manson baited the public. I'm willing to bet that of you guys had "Chuckie" in your jail making bad attempts at acting insane while giving the at large memebers of his tribe orders to kill your most prominent politicians you'd feel very different about abolishing the death penalty.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              Does anyone here remember that the US tried abolishing the DP for a period of time? Violent crime multipied during the period in which the death penalty was abolished.
              What!? Violent crime doubled??

What time period?? What source did you get this data from --- from an obviously pro-death sentence source?
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

What time period??

I'd assume from when the DP was abolished .

From Furman v. Georgia in 1972 to... Gregg v. Georgia in 1976.

edit: more specification.
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; May 8, 2002, 04:55.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

prohibition. abolishment of death penalty. affirmative action. are there any more great ideas on par with yugoslav experiment of self-governance?

Comment

Working...
                  X