Bombs Explode In Rural Mailboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombs Explode In Rural Mailboxes

URBANDALE, Iowa (AP) - Pipe bombs accompanied by anti-government propaganda exploded Friday in five mailboxes in rural parts of Illinois and Iowa, an attack authorities called domestic terrorism. Five people were injured, none seriously.

A note found with the bombs said more "attention getters" were on the way. It was signed "someone who cares."

Authorities did not immediately announce any suspects. The Postal Service suspended delivery service through Saturday in the agricultural region that straddles the Mississippi River, and urged residents not to remove any devices they might find in their mailboxes.

"We are reviewing this as a domestic terrorism incident," said James Bogner, an FBI (news - web sites) spokesman. "We don't know if all the devices have been found or there are devices remaining ... We probably won't know for a while."

In all, eight devices were found and five exploded. The bombs were not sent by mail but were instead placed in the mailboxes and set to detonate when the boxes were opened, investigators said.

Postal Service Inspector Linda Jensen said consistencies in placement suggested the bombs were linked, but that did not mean just one person was involved.

Bombs were found in Morrison, Mount Carroll and Elizabeth in Illinois, and in Asbury, Farley, Tipton, Anamosa and a farm outside Davenport in Iowa. The communities all can be reached within a day's drive.

Three letter carriers and two customers were injured in the bombings. None of the injuries was considered life threatening, but Carroll County, Ill., Sheriff Rod Herrick warned residents against opening their mailboxes.

"I don't want kids getting off the bus and opening the mailbox, or people coming home from work and opening their mailbox," he said. "Don't touch your mailbox until further notice."

Marjorie Zuidema said she and her husband, Robert, heard something that sounded "like a bird hitting a window, but a lot louder," when her mailbox in rural Morrison, Ill., exploded Friday afternoon.

By the time she discovered what had happened, "the police and FBI, postal inspectors, just about everybody" was at the end of her driveway.

She said she feels fortunate that she did not have to go to the mailbox.

"It makes you wonder," she said. "You just don't think of things happening to you in a little town."

Postal Service vice president Azeezaly Jaffer said the bombs were accompanied by a typewritten note that began: "Mailboxes are exploding! Why, you ask?"

Then it said, in part:

"If the government controls what you want to do they control what you can do. ... I'm obtaining your attention in the only way I can. More info is on its way. More 'attention getters' are on the way."

The letter also said: "If I could, I would change only one person, unfortunately the resources are not accessible. It seems killing a single famous person would get the same media attention as killing numerous un-famous humans."

The bombs appeared to be triggered by being touched or moved. Jensen described the devices as three-quarter inch steel pipes with a 9-volt battery attached. Accompanying the bomb was a clear plastic bag containing the note.

Postal Service spokeswoman Joleen Baxa said mail delivery was suspended through Saturday in all areas east of Cedar Rapids and in northern Illinois.

One of the explosions happened just north of Dubuque. Witnesses said the bomb went off when a letter carrier opened a mailbox from the passenger side of a vehicle, leaving a small hole in the door and injuring the carrier's arm.

Donna Millwright, a letter carrier in Dubuque County for 22 years, stopped her deliveries when she heard news of the explosion.

"I don't want to get blown up," she said. "I've seen plenty of things in mailboxes, but never a bomb

-------------------------------------------

****ing people that is responsible for this should be thrown under the jail when they are caught.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

The Militia nuts strike again. Didn't think McVeigh was the only one, didja?
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I get tired of people who say, "But you wouldn't think that this could happen in OUR area."

I live in eastern Iowa, and I saw the news flash to warn people about this kind of threat now. This can happen anywhere.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

who are they?

paramilitary teams (like the ones I've seen in movies hiding in the mountains and such?)

Should be easy to track them down?

Lucky there were not any victims.

Comment

They're paranoid whites who have difficulty confronting their own failures in life, so they latch on to some hapless scapegoat, in this case the government. Many of them are drunks, or are unable to hold steady jobs because of personality problems.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

And why are these men allowed to carry weapons?
            (one may ask?)

Comment

Notice that all references in the letter the perp left are "First Person Singular". My bet is that it is some "Local Missguided Youth".
              The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
              Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                who are they?

paramilitary teams (like the ones I've seen in movies hiding in the mountains and such?)

Should be easy to track them down?

Lucky there were not any victims.
                With Illinois and Iowa combined, there were two victims that were injured, according to CNN reporters.

Not sure if this increased or not from this morning though.

Comment

By victims I mean dead.

Comment

Holy sh*t, thanks for posting this, I have relatives in Farley!
                    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                      By victims I mean dead.

Your definition seems unfair to me then.

Those who have their bodies mutilated from wounds and survive, do not count as victims??

Those who experienced the psychological trauma from an explosion do not count as victims??

I got news for you --- anyone who has suffered in anyway, from a bomb or other terrorist attack are victims.

Comment

in Greek Thymata (victims) = dead

Traymaties (wounded) = wounded

Victim is dead. Dead is one thing noone can do anything about

All others can be coped with.

Comment

in general when talkiong about explotions etc we use the word victims to describe only the dead.

when in roberries and we can say this man has fallen victim of robbery.

Comment

in any case minor thingy, the definitions in front of the acts

Comment

I think you're making a moutain out of a molehill. I doubt this is so much the work of a white supremacy group as it is the work of bored teens or young adults. Does no one remember tales of kids putting M-80s and cherry bombs in mailboxes?

I still think they need to go to juvie or jail, but let's not get worked up into a frenzy. Heck, even in the rural MidWest, there are better ways to be a terrorist.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X