No announcement yet.

Fiera's 60s Thread Strikes Back. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'd better supply another question or two before this degenerates futher into the Geriatric Nursing Home Social Hour theme.

(Still British Charts)

Ten people have had posthumous* #1 records. Can you name them all?

What is the biggest-selling single in history never to have reached the #1 spot?

*Yes, this is where I originally wrote "Post-Humorous". Laugh at me, ha ha ha.
    Last edited by Buck Birdseed; May 2, 2002, 06:54.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
      post-humorous
      ?????

Comment

typo. Posthumous, of course.

Comment

Ah, I see. I thought you meant something like if Bennie Hill had had a No. 1 after "Ernie".

Comment

Benny Hill and "post-humorous" don't go together, mainly because there's no "humorous" phase to preceed it.

Comment

Tell that to some of our US posters.

Comment

Enough said.

Well, Snappy, John Lennon for starters. The "Imagine" re-release went to #1 shortly after you-know-what.

BTW, these long song and album titles are giving me the irrits!

Edit. Hang about, Lennon did it twice. "Woman" went to #1 in 1981. Does that mean I only have to find eight more?
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Elvis Presley did it. "Way Down" entered the charts 4 days before he died in 1977 and went on to reach #1. Ergo, it must be posthumous.

Hendrix did it not long after his death in 1970 with "Voodoo Chile".

Edit. Hang about again! It famously happened recently! That girl who was killed in the plane crash had a posthumous #1 and it was replaced by another one with George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord". Phew ... two in one go.
                  Last edited by finbar; May 2, 2002, 08:45.
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Jim Reeves did it in '66 with "Distant Drums". I'd better go and check out Patsy Cline.

Edit. Nuh. Patsy didn't do it. Quite surprised to find, in fact, that she only had two singles in the Brit charts and the highest she got was #31.

Comment

Buddy Holly, of course, did it in 1959 with "It Doesn't Matter Anymore".

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
                        Enough said.

Well, Snappy, John Lennon for starters. The "Imagine" re-release went to #1 shortly after you-know-what.

BTW, these long song and album titles are giving me the irrits!

Edit. Hang about, Lennon did it twice. "Woman" went to #1 in 1981. Does that mean I only have to find eight more?
                        Sorry. Lennon has in fact had three Posthumous #1s, the first being "Just Like (Starting Over)". Naw, I meant ten individuals.

Correct so far: Lennon, Henrix, Presley, Aaliyah, Harrison, Jim Reeves, Buddy Holly.

Three more. One in the sixties, one in the eighties (but the song is much older, in fact it has its own "slowest climb" record in the singles category), one (with two separate entries) in the nineties.

Comment

Freddie Mercury with "Living on my own". Perhaps you're counting "Bohemian Rhapsody" (with Queen) as his other entry?
                          "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                          - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Yes. I mean, he was dead.

Comment

I thought perhaps only solo hits were valid entries, since the rest of the group were (are) fortunately alive.
                              "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

I don't know about "fortunately"...

All the other entries are solo, and since he had a solo hit too there really is no controversy.

Comment

Working...
                                X