No announcement yet.

Fiera's 60s Thread Strikes Back. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmmm. Okay. I would never have got it in a million years.

But my sources tell me that dad was Len "Chip" Hawkes, an ex-carpenter - hence, presumably, his nickname, "chippie" being a nickname for a carpenter - who joined the post-Brian Poole version of the Tremeloes in time to sing the lead on the cover of "Good Day Sunshine", prior to "Silence Is Golden", etc. He was considered "an adequate bass player ... also blessed with a strong lead voice and was considered handsome - sexy even".

And, it seems, he also, at some point, fathered a son.

Be that all as it may - here's one that'll test out your sources. Name the last two records (and artists, if you care) that achieved joint #1 status on the British charts.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Come on, guys, the question's not that hard.

Mmmm. Maybe it is.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Where the hell are you guys!?

Comment

• I just woke up.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

• At midday?

Comment

• We're students, remember! We can wake up at midday if we want to!
              "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
              - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

• *sighs*

I remember when ...

*sighs again*

Now answer the bloody question, someone! In the meantime, I'll set about finding something easier.

Comment

• Okay, something easier. Well, relatively.

Gerry and The Pacemakers and Frankie Goes To Hollywood have much in common. As Snappy identified earlier, G & TP's first 3 releases went to #1 on the British charts. Twenty one years later, FGTH equalled the feat, something always considered just about impossible.

There are three other coincidences between the two bands. One, pretty obscure, you'll never get, so I won't ask for it.

But what are the other two?

Comment

• Well, both bands were formed in Liverpool.
                    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

• What's so improbable about having your first three releases go to #1? It seems increasingly likely in the age of manufactured pop if anything, and I can name at least three groups to have done so in the past ten years.

My knowledge of eighties music is dim. Sorry. Still, based purely on the charts, not only did their first three releases reach number one, their fourth releases reached #2, and then they never had a top 3 hit again.
                      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiera
                        Well, both bands were formed in Liverpool.
                        True. That's the first - and most obvious - coincidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapcase
                          What's so improbable about having your first three releases go to #1? It seems increasingly likely in the age of manufactured pop if anything, and I can name at least three groups to have done so in the past ten years.
                          It was considered impossible at the time - by which I mean, right up until it happened. Which was way before manufactured pop, about which you're absolutely right.

My knowledge of eighties music is dim. Sorry. Still, based purely on the charts, not only did their first three releases reach number one, their fourth releases reached #2, and then they never had a top 3 hit again.
                          True. That's the second - and less obvious - coincidence. But there's a third one. The least obvious of the three.

No one wants a crack at the last two singles to share the #1 spot on the British charts?

Comment

• Was it Vic Damone's "On the Street Where You Live" & The Everly Brothers': "All I Have to Do I Dream"/"Claudette"....in the summer of 1958?
                            Life and death is a grave matter;
                            all things pass quickly away.
                            Each of you must be completely alert;
                            never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

• In a word - NO!. Very, very good try, but.

Comment

• That was one of them though, eh? Just not the last one? Probably the "Do they know it's Christmas" schlock and a Wham! UK song then.
                                Life and death is a grave matter;
                                all things pass quickly away.
                                Each of you must be completely alert;
                                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Working...
                                X