No announcement yet.

Fiera's 60s Thread Strikes Back. Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Snappy, option (b) is a true statement. If you'll allow an appearance as a back-up singer to count. Cissy Houston, indeed, sang back-up on daughter Whitney's 1987 #1 "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". She also sang back-up on Presley's 1969 "Suspicious Minds" which went very close to the top. Well, #2, which is as close as you can go.

And I'm very damn sure there was a mother-son combo in the 1970s. I'm just having a very hard time nailing it down. Ten years is a dang lot of #1s!

So, if we're counting back-up singers, all four statements are true! Which is of academic interest only, because, obviously, back-up singers weren't included when the question was framed
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Yes, if you count back-up singers, all four are true. The Mother-Son combination includes named band members, but not the singer... Early seventies. Novelty record, practically.

The very first incidence of (c) being true for separate records wasn't Julio and Enrique, but someone else. Can you name who? (Clue: Father was a member of a 60s vocal group, son was practically a one hit wonder with a #1 and a #27 hit.)

Oh, and the question of what was the next returnee to #1 after "Oh-Bla-di (etc.)" is still outstanding.
      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapcase
        Yes, if you count back-up singers, all four are true. The Mother-Son combination includes named band members, but not the singer... Early seventies. Novelty record, practically.
        I'll get it if it kills me. My problem is that I have a couple of books full of truly obscure musical trivia. Except the answers are in a separate book. And do you think I can find the separate book!?

The very first incidence of (c) being true for separate records wasn't Julio and Enrique, but someone else. Can you name who? (Clue: Father was a member of a 60s vocal group, son was practically a one hit wonder with a #1 and a #27 hit.)
        As soon as I solve the mother-son combo!

Oh, and the question of what was the next returnee to #1 after "Oh-Bla-di (etc.)" is still outstanding.
        Ditto! And what's Fiera up to? Why isn't he pulling his weight? Traipsed off on another Spanish holiday, no doubt.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Yes, if you count back-up singers, all four are true. The Mother-Son combination includes named band members, but not the singer... Early seventies. Novelty record, practically.
          Thanks for the tip, Snappy. Of course it's Lieutenant Pigeon's "Mouldy Old Dough" in 1972. Mum played the piano, son did something else in the so-called band. Big hit here in Australia, as was another one of their songs, something with "Kathlene" in the title.

Comment

• Yikes! These threads drop quicker than the Argentinian peso!

Okay, while I'm nutting out Snappy's other two questions, here's an easy one for y'all to go on with:

Who, in the 1960s, had British #1s with their first 3 releases?

Comment

• It's not that easy! I've found a double initial one and a one one two one, but no one one one so far...

Ah, found it. D'uh. Gerry and the Pacemakers, of course.

Comment

Mr Blobby's "Mr Blobby", in 1993. WTF is that? But only according to my list, and we've already proved that it's quite fawlty...
                "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

• Mr. Blobby is the ultimate best-selling absolutely godawful novelty record. Worse than Ernie and Bob the Builder combined.

Comment

• I can't remember it, though I must have heard it then. Was it the record you were thinking of?
                    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

• Yes.

Comment

It's not that easy! I've found a double initial one and a one one two one, but no one one one so far...

Ah, found it. D'uh. Gerry and the Pacemakers, of course.
                        Yep. And their third was to be their last.

Comment

Yes.
                          Thank God for that. Because I've never heard of the thing and I'm sure I'm a better person for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar

Thank God for that. Because I've never heard of the thing and I'm sure I'm a better person for it.
                            I must confess I've been tempted to dl it off Kazaa, but after all I decided I would be better off not knowing how does it sound...
                            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

• All right, Snappy, I give up! What was the first case of father-son #1s? This has driven me mad. OTOH, if the son's achievement was relatively recent - like the last 5 years-ish - I never had a hope. My sources in this period are terribly lacking.

Comment

• Not last five years or so, no.

The answer is that the father is Tremoloes member "Chip" Hawkes and that the son is "The One And Only" Chesney Hawkes.

Comment

Working...
                                X