I hate it when your comp settings change and you can't change it back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay, it finally worked.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Amazing what happens when you do it right.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

was it my suggestion that worked??

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It was a left click drag.

My point is though that windows will tell you all sort of useless info but when you are looking for a solution to a simple problem - good luck finding it
          Last edited by Alexander's Horse; April 28, 2002, 20:52.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Talk to me about settings!

My winXP stopped being able to standby and hibernate and as far as I've figured out, this is because I have a too old ISA device (probably my sound card) which won't support this. The OS has that functionality at the beginning (after it's installation) because the sound card is not PnP and I had to install it manually. Perhaps I 'll have to create another hardware profile, without my sound card, if I want to use this feature.

At least XP run smoothly, without creating the mess that win98 did.

Btw, that was the reason that I have been missing lately. First my browsers started failing when I got online, then after I formatted my master HD and reinstalled, the modem had disappeared.
            Last edited by axi; April 28, 2002, 20:40.
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

Did you find it?

Anyway - Windows Update has stopped working for me - it doesn't run, and when I do run it, it tells me I need to update it - so I click ok, and then it tells me that it failed to update, and gives a couple of suggestions neither of which sorts it. Any ideas?

Also, how do I make IE windows have a status bar by default? My first window always does, but if I ctrl-N a new one, it doesn't.
              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Originally posted by Chowlett
                Also, how do I make IE windows have a status bar by default? My first window always does, but if I ctrl-N a new one, it doesn't.
                Go to View, and there you check "Status Bar", every IE window opened should now have a status bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Amazing what happens when you do it right.
                  What a user friendly system it is. It is so friendly that a user is incapable of performing the simplest of tasks.

You have Exhibit A right here.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The problem isn't the user interface, it's the user.
                    PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

I don't believe anyone could honestly imply a better system would be:
                    taskbar -ahpd 800 0 600 32
                    would be a better way
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Chowlett
                      Anyway - Windows Update has stopped working for me - it doesn't run, and when I do run it, it tells me I need to update it - so I click ok, and then it tells me that it failed to update, and gives a couple of suggestions neither of which sorts it. Any ideas?
                      Have you tried accessing WindowsUpdate through the Tools menu in IE?
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Typical response. When this MS "easy to use" myth falls apart, the user is blamed.

If it is so easy to use, how can a user have problems with it?

I don't believe anyone could honestly imply a better system would be:
                        taskbar -ahpd 800 0 600 32
                        would be a better way
                        OTOH, at least a user can look for the necessary information, as opposed to groping in the dark.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Whatever you do, don't go into user support. For most people PC's are a means to an end. My office PC was down all morning today - I can't afford to lose that time. I had corrupt files in my profile and couldn't launch Notes. Somebody fixed it for me eventually but there was a morning lost.

Oh well - at least I didn't get what we call here "the blue screen of death."

Comment

The problem isn't with the user, it's with the entire idea that a computer can perform even a tiny percentage of it's possible functionality while protecting the user from having to deal with complexity. This bill of goods was first sold to the public by Apple, and Microsoft was waiting in the wings as always to steal a good idea and make more money from it. This particular paradigm is interesting because the 'easier' the UI is, the more complicated it's implementation becomes, and the intelligent user is kept farther from the process where he can't understand how the process is supposed to work once it clears the UI, because he can't seperate himself from the UI to begin with.

AOL is another company making use of this paradigm. It's easy according to the ads for AOL, yet once you actually try to do something besides visit their affiliated sites you find out that it's not easy to do the things that every other more standardized ISP does without a problem at all. Frustration abounds once the user tries to actually access more of the functionality of the computer.

The holy grail here is systems that are designed to do fewer things more simply, and complex systems for power users who appreciate a straightforward approach to attempts to protect them and obscure the answers they seek. As chip and computer prices continue to drop, look to see more systems and components which are hardcoded to do their one task efficiently and clearly, and fewer monster systems which act as controllers for so many various devices.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              Typical response. When this MS "easy to use" myth falls apart, the user is blamed.

If it is so easy to use, how can a user have problems with it?
                              UR, are you really that dense?
                              You CLICK on the taskbar and DRAG it to where you want to go. It simply cannot get much easier than that.

So how is this an "easy to use" myth?

Are you so pathetic that you troll over the stupidest things now?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                                Whatever you do, don't go into user support. For most people PC's are a means to an end. My office PC was down all morning today - I can't afford to lose that time. I had corrupt files in my profile and couldn't launch Notes. Somebody fixed it for me eventually but there was a morning lost.
                                AH, when the problem is what you had: it is most certainly not something to waste your time calling support on. It is one of the classic PEBKAC cases. Like the people who call and complain their keyboard doesn't have any "anykey" or the people who ask about postage rates on e-mail.

It's one of the most intuitive things, and for whatever reason you had, it was kinda silly.

It's certainly not a design problem like Urban Ranger is implying ( ) but rather a silly brain lapse if anything.

Oh well - at least I didn't get what we call here "the blue screen of death."
                                Geeks have been calling it that for many years.

Comment

Working...
                                X