Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could add one required course for all students what would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting. :shrugs: It's a dying art.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Electronics

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        Higher Algebra II.
        I HAAAAAAAAATE you!!!!!

(joking)

Rather, I hate any mathematics.

History courses are some of the more important courses that a college student takes up on.

In particular, I would make U.S. history of 1850's through 1880's, a required course for all non-history majors and history majors.

This course would focus on the political, and socio-economic changes that occured from the last decade of the antebellum period, through the Civil War and Reconstruction, up to the tragic failure of Reconstruction.

This would greatly increase students understanding the development of our country's racial relations when integrating African-American perspective in this required course.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Higher Algebra II.
          would this be called modern or abstract algebra 2 in other places?

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No, it would be called abstract algebra VI. After Algebra IV they start calling it "Higher Algebra".
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This course would focus on the political, and socio-economic changes that occured from the last decade of the antebellum period, through the Civil War and Reconstruction, up to the tragic failure of Reconstruction.

This would greatly increase students understanding the development of our country's racial relations when integrating African-American perspective in this required course.

Sorry, I'd respond but I'm laughing too hard - you WANT more political bias in our schools???
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

No, it would be called abstract algebra VI. After Algebra IV they start calling it "Higher Algebra".
                so what algebra classes have you had??

you have had over 20 semester hours of algebra (by my count)??

that is a lot (I have had a much lower ammount, but my school only offers up through Gallian)

my mathematics is mostly applied, calculus and analysis

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Nope. I never did Higher Algebra I or II. Total of 12 semester-hours (Algebra I-IV). I also did 9 semester hours of Analysis, 8 of Geo-Top, a bunch of calculus (15 semester hours if you count CEGEP) and 2 d.eq. courses (6 semester-hours). Lots of math...

EDIT: plus one diff. geo course...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

--" If you try to make someone think independantly, they end up thinking like you."

Not if you're really teaching them how to think. Granted, you can't force people to do it, and there are certainly some who would rather die than do it, but for most this would not really be a problem. If you teach someone to, for instance, always examine an arguments assumptions, then sooner or later they're going to examine your assumptions. Teach them to recognize fallacies, some logic, some rhetoric, sooner or later most of them are going to think for themselves.
                    Personally, I quite like the Montessori based education systems (having experienced one).

--"I'd say I'd like every uni student to take public speaking and presentation."

Heh. Flash over substance, then? Doesn't matter how well you say it if you've got nothing worth saying.

--"This would greatly increase students understanding the development of our country's racial relations when integrating African-American perspective in this required course."

Sounds like you're a fan of the "multicultrualism" junk the colleges force on students these days, then. (I put that in quotes because of the silly courses my cousin, an anthropology major, got forced into by that label. Guess only currently politically influential cultures count.)

Wraith
                    "If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."
                    -- Lewis Carroll

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA Mr. Fun! You would love Purdue's Curriculum!

As an LA student I'm required to have 3 credit hours of a Gender Studies course (otherwise known as any class starting with Women in " "), 3 hours of a racial studies course (otherwise known as an African Americans in " " course). Of course we only have a 3 hours of Western Studies requirement. I accidently took two of those this semester, although I'm hoping I can have one apply to something else.
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

"How not to be a really irritating braying loud-mouthed bastard" 101
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Missed that one, didn't you?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Philosophy
                            My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Nope. I never did Higher Algebra I or II. Total of 12 semester-hours (Algebra I-IV). I also did 9 semester hours of Analysis, 8 of Geo-Top, a bunch of calculus (15 semester hours if you count CEGEP) and 2 d.eq. courses (6 semester-hours). Lots of math...

EDIT: plus one diff. geo course...
                              I think I have about as many hours but quite a few less classes

I am giving 1 author only per (main) book

8 calc (tested out of some which doesn't count (would move me up to 12)) (used Stewart and Marsden)
                              8 algebra (used Friedberg and Gallian)
                              8 analysis (used Ross and Sprecher)
                              4 complex analysis (Churchill)
                              4 topology (Munkres)
                              4 probability+statistics (Rice)
                              8 applied analysis + diff eq (Boyce and Kreyszig)
                              4 convexity (I actually had too many credits and so audited this one) (Webster)
                              + a computer science requirment (4 semester hours)

this is of course not counting the additional calc and diff eq and applied analysis courses I took for the physics requirments (covered mostly different material (but I did cover fourier analysis in 2 or 3 math and math for physics classes besides the 2 physics classes))

additional calc +diff eq +applied analysis taken in physics department (used Boas and Arfken)

8 hours

the additional courses I should have taken were another statistics course and another algebra course (diff geo is rarely offered just like convexity)

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

oh addition

I couldn't take them because the were offered rarely and iVterfered with my physics classes

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X