Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most powerful and influential countries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Israel folks, Israel. They are rich enough, smart enough and organized enough to do whatever they want (see how they got the Bomb) to whoever they want (see Uganda) whenever they want (see catching nazis till this day). Lean mean fighting machine. Plus, US does what they tell it to do

Comment

In order I'd say...

United States
      Great Britain and the commonwealth
      Japan
      Russia
      Germany
      France
      China
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

France.. I dont think so.

They are too disunited.

It takes WILL to be superpower... ALL it takes is will, national consensus that yes, you are ready to sacrifice lot of money and effort to become one. I dont think French have it... Germans too, not any more.

Its difficult to be able to mobilise people these days.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Australia?

They only have half the population of Canada.
          A quick glance at the cia-Worldfactbook proves they have 2/3s.

In any event, the Aussies (dispite some on this board) must have a pair of big brass ones to strong-arm Indonesia to grant East Timor Independance.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Seriously, Lonestar. They spend more per capita on their military, but it's still lower overall than us, and I don't see anybody nominating us into the world superpower position.

The Russians and Chinese are both much more powerful than Australia, as are Germany, Italy, Japan, etc.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
              In any event, the Aussies (dispite some on this board) must have a pair of big brass ones to strong-arm Indonesia to grant East Timor Independance.
              They also have the backing of the UN and NATO...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Seriously, Lonestar. They spend more per capita on their military, but it's still lower overall than us, and I don't see anybody nominating us into the world superpower position.
                That's because Canada doesn't need to blow it's money on a large military. It doesn't have a large, agressive country next to it that outweighs it in population 10-to....

Oh wait, damn.

Point is, The Aussies never had 10% of it's armed might held hostage by a disgruntled shipping company. That is all.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

A TV show I was watching tonight were talking about the Saudi Prince and G. Bush.
                  Saudi has GDP last year of $200. Billion. The US had a GDP of $10 Trillion even with the 9-11 event and the later slow down on the stock market. So on the ecom. side it may be hard for someone to catch us for a few more years.
                  On the military front anyone can build a hugh military, but will it be any good. Iraq was the forth largest in the world until Jan 15, 1991. Before Jan 15, China was no. 1, Russia was no. 2, the US was no. 3, and Iraq was no. 4.
                  Today I think China is still no. 1, but now I thing the US is no. 2, Russia is no. 3, who know who is no. 4, N. Korea?

Comment

Turkey has a standing army of over 500 000, so they may be it.

Comment

On the economy, USA and EU are equal in commercial bargainings (ca. same GDP, EU is unified in these talks). Militarily, the US will be outstanted in the middle term (20 years or so) by the rising China. But today, the US has no rivals when it comes to fiplomacy or military, even if it often needs support.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Vet, the NKs have 1.1 million and the SKs have over 650,000 - both ahead of Turkey.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Finland!

(Christ, I'm surprised no one got THAT one yet!)
                          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Orange, I'm going to have to remind you of the criterion you should apply :

If Canada could kick their ass, then they're not a powerful country.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Germany and Japan are economically powerful (well Germany was before its economy has become tied into the EU), but they lack the military forces (and natural resources, despite their technological manufacturing) to be influential.

thanks
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

This thread is great... Thanks KH and Lonestar.

Canada vs Finland. Now there's an interesting Winter War.

'Honey, I'm home.'

That's nice dear. Did you have a good time?

'Funny thing happened. I thought we were going to fight a war, and then a hockey game broke out...'
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X