How long have you been here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher

I've been on the internet since 1991. Way before there was cutesy graphical web browsers and all that.

On SidGames I did lots of design work (HTML), did scripting/forum coding (ColdFusion), and some database work (MySQL). Then I managed the hardware review section that we started off, got some free video cards and MP3 players from companies so I could review them.
    Impressive! Not bad for someone too young to drive!
    "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

I'm still not sure if the companies knew they were sending $300 electronic devices to a 14-year old kid to review, months before retail availability.

I also didn't realize that some companies (*cough*ATI*cough*) refuse to send out review samples unless you sign a contract which basically implies it'd be a positive review. To do a negative review you must buy it at the store...And all companies send you a big package of marketing bullsh*t about how wonderful the product is, hoping you quote from it in your reviews...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        I'm still not sure if the companies knew they were sending $300 electronic devices to a 14-year old kid to review, months before retail availability.
        What got you into computers at such a young age? I know that to obtain a degree in Comp. Sci, you need High level Calculus and other math. Did you know how to do the math, or did you just pick up on the more technical, less mathematical aspects of computers?
        "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

Originally posted by nationalist
          What got you into computers at such a young age?
          I always had a computer in the house growing up, and in the winter it was too cold to do very much. So I played games on the computer, eventually found my dad's MS QuickBASIC book and even started doing some basic programming.

I know that to obtain a degree in Comp. Sci, you need High level Calculus and other math. Did you know how to do the math, or did you just pick up on the more technical, less mathematical aspects of computers?
          You don't need the math aspect of computers to do most of it. I wasn't writing 3D engines or doing complex algorithms, so I didn't need the math background. It basically relied on technical skills and logic skills. A lot of the stuff I'm learning now in computer science seems so very basic to me, and a lot of people struggle with it. I've grown up with the skills so much of it's as second-nature to me as addition and subtraction, and some people have problems getting their heads around the basic concepts.

Now that I'm actually taking computer science, I'm getting the math background as well as enforcing the technical background.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Started to read the site in the summer of 99. Signed up in Feb., of 2000. and had to resigned up in July 2000. Old log in would not work on both my work and home computer. I had 253 post on my old log in. If someone could add those to my current name that would be nice.

Comment

nearly a year...
              since july 7th, 2001
              my first post began at roughly 12:30 am and was posted at roughly 5 am.
              "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

I've been here since March of '99. Other than the SDMB, this is the only place on the internet where I come to "talk."

Comment

I started way back when Ming only had a few thousand posts, and Mao was yet to come... Holy ****e!
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

I've been coming to Poly off and on for three years now, but I haven't been a member of the forums until last december, making 4 months.

Steele

BTW: Monolith, is your avatar Rasputin, the mad monk>
                    If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Apolyton's Most Hated since March 1999...
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I found the site back when it first merged. But I only started posting about a year ago.
                        I refute it thus!
                        "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

I arrived after Stefu ( 3 1/2 years) but before Bugs ****ing Bunny (3 years).

werefox was our only female then. i miss her.

Comment

Yes
                            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                            Drake Tungsten
                            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                            Albert Speer

Comment

what about ivy (i think that was her name), DCA, Himla, etc?
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Used the Ultimate Civ II Site wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back. Theben dragged me here kicking and screaming in the summer of '00, just before he hightailed it Indiana, and stopped posting. I think he was just requiting someone to take his place.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X