Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Stanford discriminating against Christians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    I rest my case. Your quote proves that while Brown disapproves of homosexual sex, he doesn't preach hate toward homosexuals.
    From a 1999 CBS Sportsline story

"I have to admit," Brown said on The Husker Sports Report with Ron Brown, "My hatred for (homosexuals)
    didn't end after I became a Christian at the end of my
    college years ... They have been my untouchables, the
    group I have placed the lowest in my spiritual caste
    system, God's worst enemies as far as I was concerned."

Yup, no hatred there.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• Due to the spirit of this thread right now, it's a good thing that there are no Apolyton members coming into this thread armed with virtual weapons.

And Tingkai, thanks for quoting the idiot's words -- now let's see what the other side has to say.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Never heard that before, Tingkai. Maybe he's not as nice a man as I had believed. I'll have to read the article you linked to.

edit: Has anyone found a transcript from the radio show in question? I'd like to know what was actually said that caused all the trouble. The article Tingkai linked to didn't give any information other than that quote, so I'd like to know more.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I think this adds some context to the quote Tingkai posted.

And shine Brown does. Coach Brown holds a voluntary prayer session after each "Huskers" football game. Brown is also in demand as a public speaker. He tells public high school students how Jesus can help them resist drugs. This past week he got national media attention for stating on his local, 5-minute radio show that Christians need to show love and mercy to homosexuals. Brown said that he wanted to change the way he and other Christians treat homosexuals but acknowledged that the Bible condemns the act of homosexuality and calls it sin.

Brown also was clear that he was speaking out personally seeking repentance for his past behavior toward homosexuals. He admitted that in the past he hated homosexuals and that his feelings didn’t end when he became a Christian at the end of his college years. He told his radio audience that he does not endorse that lifestyle nor did he change his opinion of God’s definition of that lifestyle. What he did change was the desire to include homosexuals in his prayer life and his desire that churches will invite them to fellowship and show a love for them, the way Christ loves people.

Brown really does some to be a decent person. In a way, it's really unfortunate that he believes so strongly in the absolute truth of the Bible. I don't want to insult the man's faith, but it seems to be causing him all sorts of problems. I wonder if it is worth it...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Drake, the context does help somewhat, but it's quite clear he holds homosexuals a notch below everyone else.

Show "mercy" for homosexuals?

It's not outright hate or intolerance, but it's a way of belittling who they are and what they go through, and he's convinced that Jesus can help them.

It's much better than outright hate, but it's still bigotry. But it's Big Brother Friendly-type bigotry.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• As I said before, Asher, I find the whole situation to be morally ambiguous. Yes, Brown has a view that many people find offensive. However, Brown is also acknowledged to be a good person. Many people (including me) think that his faith is a little misguided. But does one unpopular view make a man bad? In the end, I think that his good behavior outweighs his unfortunate views on homosexuality. Maybe you feel differently, I don't know.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• No, it doesn't make him bad, it makes him a bad candidate for a public position at a high-profile liberal university.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                  No, it doesn't make him bad, it makes him a bad candidate for a public position at a high-profile liberal university.
                  I don't know if I agree with this, but it's Stanford's call. They're still hypocrites, though.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X