Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Stanford discriminating against Christians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Stanford discriminating against Christians?

This article was on the front page of our campus newspaper today and I want to know what you guys think about it.

For those of you who are too lazy to click on the link, here's some of the highlights.

In early January, shortly after Miami crushed Nebraska in the Rose Bowl, Nebraska football Assistant Coach Ron Brown journeyed to a Los Angeles hotel to interview for the coaching job at Stanford.

But he didn't get any further than the initial interview.

The reason: It soon became apparent his religious views, among other things, were incompatible with Stanford's liberal student body and active gay community.

"If I'd been discriminated against for being black, they would've never told me that," Brown said. "They had no problem telling me it was because of my Christian beliefs. That's amazing to me."

Personally, I think that this definitely seems like discrimination. I don't agree with Brown's views on homosexuality, but I certainly think that he is entitled to believe whatever he wants. I've never heard of an incident where his personal beliefs have affected his performance as a football coach, so I don't really see what basis Stanford has for their decision. It seems like Stanford didn't consider him for the job simply because of his beliefs, which seems wrong to me.

Discuss...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

What if his beliefs included race superiority or that poor people are dumb or some crap like that? It wasn't that he had a particular religious disposition, it was his personal interpretation of that belief system. People who (still!) discriminate against gays are a not a welcome part of the culture in the bay area. Period.
    Be the bid!

Comment

People who (still!) discriminate against gays are a not a welcome part of the culture in the bay area. Period.
      Its comforting to know your area has ordinances against thought crime.

This is PC hypocrisy bullsh--. In essence, this "diversity" cause has created its own old boys' network.
      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

From the sounds of it, it seems your Good Christian had a bigoted attitude which clashed with the "liberal student body and active gay community".

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Nobody cares that he's Christian, but it would seem that he had some fundamentalist Christians views that would kinda paint a bad picture for the university because they actively put down segments of society because he doesn't agree with it or understand it.

Perhaps if he wan't a whacko he'd have had better luck.

Would you be up in arms if they stopped the Head Wizard of the KKK from becoming Dean or something?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Sten Sture
          People who (still!) discriminate against gays are a not a welcome part of the culture in the bay area.
          Last I checked, "belief" and "action" are two different things. Brown wasn't discriminating against homosexuals, if the article is correct.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I think bigots who hate homosexuals should be welcomed just as much as racists are welcomed -- that is, both should be admitted fairly, however disgusting their ignorant beliefs are.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Stanford is a private institution, yes?

As long as those same religious people have places like Baylor, which flat out refuse admittence to Homosexuals and the like, Stanford should be permitted not to allow bigots and other people who enjoy spreading hatred and intolerance.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Stanford is a private institution, yes?

As long as those same religious people have places like Baylor, which flat out refuse admittence to Homosexuals and the like, Stanford should be permitted not to allow bigots and other people who enjoy spreading hatred and intolerance.
                Good point --- as long as Christian universities can refuse homosexuals, then liberal, private universities can exclude homophobic applicants.

But then, that means we're standing on the claim that two wrongs make a right.

Or, we could be saying that fair is square -- you change your standards, and then we will change our standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Just because Baylor's actions are legal does not change the fact that they are disciminatory. The question is not whether Stanford's (or any other private university's) actions are legal, the question is whether or not their actions are discriminatory.

Comment

Would he have been the best man for the job, with his moral views? Perhaps not, in which case why should someone who would not have been the best man for the job be hired?

Comment

Universities have tenured professors who have Very unpopular viewpoints about social issues, and who deal with many more students on a personal basis.

And where did it say that this guy "enjoyed spreading hatred and intolerance" ? He has a certain religion=based belief system. That's it.
                      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I think that it is important to note that Brown, while he believes in a literal interpretation of the bible, is not anything like people like Jerry Falwell and others who preach intolerance towards homosexuals. Brown rarely discusses his views on homosexuality and when he does so it is at Christian forums where discussion of religion is specifically sought. While people here sometime question his faith, I don't think anyone considers Brown to be anything less than a good human being. This isn't a bigot you are discussing, but simply a man who believes deeply in Christianity.

"I don't believe homosexuality is biblically correct," he said. "But that doesn't mean I disdain the people or do anything to disrespect anyone here."

Are these the words of a bigot?
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

As long as there are people who believe that it is right for Christian universities to exclude gays and lesbians, then there will be people who can justify private liberal universities in excluding too-conservative Christians.

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitDave
                            Universities have tenured professors who have Very unpopular viewpoints about social issues, and who deal with many more students on a personal basis.

And where did it say that this guy "enjoyed spreading hatred and intolerance" ? He has a certain religion=based belief system. That's it.
                            Obviously Stanford turned this guy down because he has a history of publically talking about it, or doing something about it.

Otherwise they wouldn't know or care.

And yes, damnit, it is disciminating, in the same sense that we discriminate by trying to only throw criminals in jail, and allowing only 16 year olds and above to drive, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              As long as there are people who believe that it is right for Christian universities to exclude gays and lesbians, then there will be people who can justify private liberal universities in excluding too-conservative Christians.
                              Nobody's saying that Stanford isn't allowed to discriminate against Christians. AFAIK the coach isn't pressing charges or anything, but just wants the university to own up to its discriminatory policies (just as Baylor has owned up to its discriminatory policies).

Comment

Working...
                              X