How looks like the cities where you live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice thread... Good to see where some of you live

Arnhem, The Netherlands... About 150,000 people, capital of the province of Gelderland. The town center was flattened during the (in)famous battle for the bridge and rebuild during the late 40's, 50's and 60's. And since everyone knows how they thought about esthetics during those years... But things are changing, after talking about it for the last 30 years finally they are trying to really rebuild the city center. Only thing is that I probably won't see it finished, it's a 30 year plan

Well, here's that bridge (not the same one tho, Andy's grandfather blew up the original in 1945 )
    Attached Files
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Yeah, Hull took a lot of bombing during the war, but the best buildings seem to have been preserved and the rebuilding in the city centre was mainly in the 50s and was done fairly tastefully, so we don't have too many 60s monstrosities compared to other cities, but still more than enough. I mean if you want to see that concrete architecture, look at Birmingham. That city is truly ugly.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        Yeah, Hull took a lot of bombing during the war, but the best buildings seem to have been preserved and the rebuilding in the city centre was mainly in the 50s and was done fairly tastefully, so we don't have too many 60s monstrosities compared to other cities, but still more than enough. I mean if you want to see that concrete architecture, look at Birmingham. That city is truly ugly.
        I was in Hull during a trip to the Lake District in 1977. We spent a night on the university campus there. Can't remember much of it tho, must be the huge beer glasses you people use

Here's the building that was used as a high school when I was still a brilliant kid with high ideals, in 73-75... After that it was some fancy art gallery and now it's a fancy restaurant
        Attached Files
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

I was in Hull during a trip to the Lake District in 1977. We spent a night on the university campus there. Can't remember much of it tho, must be the huge beer glasses you people use
          Hehe, I was born in Hull in 1977 Yeah, to be fair, the city used to look an absolute dump back then from pictures I have seen, but like most British cities, has undergone major redevelopment in the past 10 years or so.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Ashdod, Israel

More pics of Ashdod there than of Cottbus

Comment

Colon: I definitely see what you mean. If you made the Antwerp streets that you pictured wider and removed the trees, you would have a spitting image of K Street here in DC. Even down to the service streets on the side.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

DP
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

this is waco, just east of downtown facing Baylor University. Ugly huh?!
                  Attached Files
                  "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Dan,
                    ”Colon: I definitely see what you mean. If you made the Antwerp streets that you pictured wider and removed the trees, you would have a spitting image of K Street here in DC. Even down to the service streets on the side.”

Antwerp has several of those avenues, set with sycamore trees. (I live on one myself) Despite the traffic, I find them very pleasant to walk in, particularly in the summer. In several avenues the trees in blossom, creating a green ceiling punctured by rays of sunlight, combined with the buildings functioning as walls give the feeling you’re inside a huge hall.
                    Last edited by Colon™; April 9, 2002, 07:36.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Looks a dive dm
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

It's scary how close some of you guys live to me....

Since Toronto (where my heart is at home) has been covered and I don't want to remind myself that I live in King Township, York Region (pointless urban sprawl that should be burnt down and redesigned from scratch), I'll find some pictures of Felixstowe, the quaint English town where I will be living from late August onwards.

Here we have a night view of the Felixstowe Port, Britain's largest container port and Europe's fourth busiest port. The port itself is owned by a Hong-Kong based company, which led to this explanation of what would happen if the Chinese decided to gain a foothold in the UK by nationalizing the port.... "If there are any Reds under the Hutchison [the Hong Kong company] bed, which is unlikely, it would take a policeman on a bicycle armed with an appropriate Court Order to take any of its English ports back into national control."

Here's a pic showing the town centre at the height of summer. Hides any embarrasing elements (like the locals) rather well, doesn't it?

That's really all the nice pictures I could find. No pictures of the (one) club or of historic sites or of anything remotely interesting. Because there really isn't anything.

I am so going to be spending a lot of time outside Felixstowe.
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I did a thread like this recently, but it only got half the replies. And just for that, I'm not going to post any pictures.
                          yada

Comment

Working...
                          X