No announcement yet.

China Invades Taiwan!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suprised people would support a repressive regime over a democracy.

Well It wouldnt happen. Taiwan is the Israel of the pacific. They pretty much have are unflinching support. China niether has the logistics nor the technological edge to defeat Taiwan, let alone a USA backed Taiwan.

Any rhetoric coming from Beijing is political.

Comment

Suprised people would support a repressive regime over a democracy.
      Before the elections, Shrubya said Musharraf was good for his country because he brought stability. So he prefers a dictator, which he now supports, over a democracy.

Also, I might be wrong about this, but I thought there weren't any open elections in taiwan either prior to 2000. (might be wrong about this). So if this is true, the US supported Taiwan long before it became a true democracy.
      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Before the elections, Shrubya said Musharraf was good for his country because he brought stability. So he prefers a dictator, which he now supports, over a democracy

Damn Im getting sick of these strawmen

Umm so thats pretty damn irrelevant. Your drawing some paralell's here. Your saying its =ok= for a Dictatorship one side of the globe, to conquer a Democracy. Because USA supports a dictatorship on the other side? Very idiotic Logic here. Unless im missing somthing.

So what does Musharref has any bearing in this? Who cares.Thats completely irrelevant in the straights of Taiwan. And if you Support Chinese unificant via force. And this is your reason. It sounds more like a concokted excuse for taking yet another anti-american view.

Also, I might be wrong about this, but I thought there weren't any open elections in taiwan either prior to 2000. (might be wrong about this). So if this is true, the US supported Taiwan long before it became a true democracy.
        Nope. Taiwan has alwys had Elections. Since Chang died anyway. I believe. Just type in Taiwan in a search engine.

Comment

OK, just typed Taiwan into a search engine.

They had martial law from 1949 to 1987 and had the first democratic legislative elections in late 92 and the first presidential elections in 96.

Oh and the cold war is filled with incidents of the US overthrowing democratically elected governments in favor of dictatorships.
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader

Oh and the cold war is filled with incidents of the US overthrowing democratically elected governments in favor of dictatorships.

Another irrelevant troll. What does that have to with USA's alliance with a DEMOCRATIC Taiwan.

knock it off.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
              Another irrelevant troll. What does that have to with USA's alliance with a DEMOCRATIC Taiwan.

knock it off.
              It serves to proove the fact that Taiwan being democratic is actually irrelevant to the US government.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

That still doesn't answer him. You're saying that the world should stand by while Taiwan's invaded because the US supported a dicatorship in the past.

Isn't the EU also being hypocritical in supporting Iraq despite violations of peace treaties while condemning the leader of the democratically elected USA and Israel?

That's irrelevant.

1) The question was should the EU help the Taiwanese.

2) Doesn't Taiwain have nuclear weapons?

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

It serves to proove the fact that Taiwan being democratic is actually irrelevant to the US government.

And its against the rule book to support a modest anti-communist dictatorship against a Large repressive communist one?

I dont get it. It was the cold war. who cared then. Moreover ; why should anyone care now? One has predictably changed. The other is still as repressive as ever.

Tiwain have nukes?
                  No. But I believe the USA would use nukes against any chinese invasion fleet. If convential means failed

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                    Well, I think France would respond by immediately surrendering.
                    I literally fell off my chair when I read this! Good one!
                    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      note to aall

this is a hypothetical thread as far as I can tell

JOn Miller
                      100-0

My this thread took an unexpected, yet amusing, turn.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Do you really think that some one could miss this line?
                        this is a hypothetical thread as far as I can tell

If such events were real, probably we all be already dead because of nuclear war.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory

And its against the rule book to support a modest anti-communist dictatorship against a Large repressive communist one?
                          Before 1987, one was just as repressive as the other. The Americans chose to support Taiwan, not because it was more "free", but because it was anti-communist.

The point remains that the US has no qualms in supporting repressive and corrupted dictatorships (Taiwan before 1987, South Vietnam, etc.), despite its claims of "defending liberty".

No. But I believe the USA would use nukes against any chinese invasion fleet. If convential means failed
                          Better hope that doesn't happen! If so then we'd probably be dead.
                          Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Originally posted by Serb
                            Do you really think that some one could miss this line?

If such events were real, probably we all be already dead because of nuclear war.
                            I was really bored

I was hoping something would happen

was thinking of others like me

JOn Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by ranskaldan

Before 1987, one was just as repressive as the other. The Americans chose to support Taiwan, not because it was more "free", but because it was anti-communist.

The point remains that the US has no qualms in supporting repressive and corrupted dictatorships (Taiwan before 1987, South Vietnam, etc.), despite its claims of "defending liberty".
                              Thats still completely irrelevant. Taiwan changed. And the martial law imposed from Tapai, was hardly repressive. Just against illicit communism. China didnt. And besides, there is nothing wrong with backing the lesser of the two evils to see the evilest (that a word?) crumbles. Its not a Moral Hazard, its just how it all works.

Better hope that doesn't happen! If so then we'd probably be dead.
                              Ya thats why we got the NMD going. Chinese/NK cant reach us with bombers

Comment

I think we should let the Strawberry Advocates take over Tawain and install a new republic government.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X