Are Customers Trained In Stupidity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Customers Trained In Stupidity?

-or the lonely lament of the till worker.

Some people are so stupid.
    • Yes, that sign indicating that we cannot by law sell anything until 10:30 actually means that we cannot sell anything until 10:30. This includes if your children are crying for their clematus and dahlias, and I don't care how long you've been waiting.
    • And no, I don't want your credit card before I've run everything through the till. That can wait.
    • Yes, your clubcard is a different matter, you have to give me that before I've given you your change and wished you a good day. It has to be put through with the sale, or it won't work, as clearly explained on this big bold sign in front of the till...
    • Being narky isn't going to win me your sympathy.
    • I realise you've been queueing for a few minutes, but in that space of time, I've served eight other customers: you've got it easy pal.
    • So let me get this straight, you pick up the one item with no price label or barcode on it, then come to till and complain bitterly that you have to wait a few minutes while we find out what the damn thing is meant to cost?
    • We would discount that damaged item for you, but there are 20 flawless others over there...
    • We would discount that damaged item for you, but we saw you ram your trolley into it a minute ago...
    • We would refund that 'incorrect purchase', but its a Christmas decoration, and today is January 8th.
    • I can see you have a £5 note there to make your £3.99 purchase, please for the love of God don't give me that £20... Oh, ok, if you want to then, don't whatever you do make my life easy.
    • No sir, don't give the pen back to me - Its on a string. If you give it to me, all I'll do is put it down right in front of you again. Do you really need me to do this for you?
    • You take that basket outside and you're a dead man/woman.
    • and the final insult... Three types of trolley, Types A, B and C, each in their own stacked line. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE TROLLEY A IN THE TROLLEY B QUEUE. IT BUGGERS UP THE WHOLE SYSTEM. THE CARPARK IS NOT A GIANT TROLLEY PARK - USE THE AREAS MARKED 'TROLLEYS'.

So how has your day been?
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

You shouldn't drink so much coffee before going to work
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't drink coffee.
      Maybe that's the problem
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Hmmmm... maybe it is.

But as somebody else here posted somewhere... half the people you deal with have an IQ in double digits
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sounds like the other half have IQs in single figures
          Last edited by C0ckney; March 17, 2002, 16:47.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

i only complain if u give me too little change....

i'll take a little (lot) extra any day
            I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

I worked for 3 years at a Best Buy, left as a supervisor (lower mgmt), and I can confirm everything IW says

Of course, we went a step further and profiled customers by gender, race, and economic status for kicks - and our profiles were generally correct.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Are Customers Trained In Stupidity?

yeah, we have to take classes in shopping stupidity before we're allowed to make any significant purchase. it turns out to be about 14 hours of night classes a week for 6 months, and you usually want to take the extra classes (another 5 hrs a week for 6 months) if you want to be a Certified Idiot.
                A proud citizen of the only convicted terrorist harboring nation!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!

Comment

Yeah? Hmmm....I thought you people were just birn that way
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

When I worked in a bakery I had people come up and interrupt me and ask me where the bread is.

To their left, bread.
                    To their right, bread.

There's also people who come in and complain about stale bread they bought about a week earlier, even though the expiry date clearly mentions it expired days earlier.

I can go on for hours.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      But as somebody else here posted somewhere... half the people you deal with have an IQ in double digits
                      I feel sorry for people sometimes.

Comment

A typical day, trying to get a badly needed cup of coffee 5 minutes before my lecture starts. In front of me there's about half a dozen persons. There's always at least one type that drives me mad (this 'type' is usually a woman 30+ years old but not always). The person in question is about to buy coffee/the and some sort of snack/bread with a total price of around 30 SEK (maybe $3 or less than £2 p50). How is this person going to pay for this purchase? Well, a credit card of cource!! Is this person getting ready and picking up the card while in line instead of looking out in the air with his/her empty, cow-like, eyes? No of course not, (s)he's got the card in his/her card in the wallet a the bottom of a purse etc and starts to look after it when he/she are told what to pay.

In short, these kinds of persons conducts a purchase of a ham-sandwich and a cup of the the same way I would cunduct myself if I bought a new car.

The worst think is that they often move around in large groups and makes my purchase of a 5 SEK (50 cents or 35p) cup of coffee into a nightmare.

Comment

Yep, see that kind of thing in supermarkets all the time - paying for £2 or £3 purchases with a credit card.

Even worse, they'll pay by Switch and ask for cash back.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I once worked at the check-in for a cruise ship, and to add to your list:

* No, don´t try to speed up the queue by actually placing your ticket in your hand. Instead, wait impatiently in the line for 10 minutes, and when you finally reach the check-in counter, don´t remember in which pocket you have your ticket.

* Me: "You have booked 4 persons".
                            Customer: "Yes".
                            Me: "What about the child? Doesn´t that make you 5?"
                            Customer: "I though he didn´t count!"
                            Me: "He is a person, is he not?"
                            Customer: "Well, yes, but..."

* Never read your ticket to double-check what you have booked.
                            Me: "This was booked for yesterday."
                            Customer: "What???"
                            Me: "This ticket says 14.3. Today is 15.3"
                            Customer: "Why would I ever want to go on a Thursday? I obviously meant Friday!"
                            Me: "Well, we aren´t mind readers"

* No, the ship won´t come back for you when you arrive too late.

And one classic:

Elderly customer: "Have we left already?"
                            Me: "Well, if you would first be so kind to board the ship it could actually leave today."

Comment

ahhh

did any of them come from the Willamette Valley Customer training center

a steve perhaps

or a paul

those were some of my favorites, I knew they were going places

you have to have that much stupidity ingrained

the center was part of a world wide network, so you might be seeing the results of our affilitates

well, nice to see that theings are going well

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X