Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Should the US Reduce Petroleum Consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Should the US Reduce Petroleum Consumption?

The United States uses a whole lot of oil. Per person the rates very high; only Canada compares. The question is how can the US use less petroleum, thus reducing CO2 emissions and resulting in less need for foriegn countries, that may be hostile to us sometime in the future, to control our economy.

(I picked Option 2, btw)

Oh, and this is the BEST option, not a mix of them all. Make decisions people .
    Drastically increase gasoline taxes
    15.15%
    Use tax breaks/penalties for emissions targets
    36.36%
    Pump money into electric/gas hybrid cars
    30.30%
    Use Banana's as fuel
    18.18%
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; March 6, 2002, 18:15.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Short term, tax breaks/penalties. Long term, get the auto industry and military to use fuel cells (or something similar).
    "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

But I'd figure those tax breaks/penalties will cause fuel cells to be used in the long term, so that emissions will fall further for greater tax breaks.

A market solution (kind of).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Oil is your friend. Use more oil.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          But I'd figure those tax breaks/penalties will cause fuel cells to be used in the long term, so that emissions will fall further for greater tax breaks.

A market solution (kind of).

Um, word!
          "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Of course Canada is up there, do you have any freakin idea how far everything is away from each other.

Actually it would be nice to see the advent of alternative fuels based on ethanol, yet I'm not sure if this would really help pollution.

Wouldn't electric based vehicles just increase the necessity of power plants which seem to run on hydro-carbons anyways.
            What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Damn you Albertans. Your as bad as Texans .

Wouldn't electric based vehicles just increase the necessity of power plants which seem to run on hydro-carbons anyways.

Purely electric based cars would. Gas/electric hybrids have the batteries recharge when the gas is in use, or when it is warming up (doesn't take too long from I've heard). So emissions end up being less.

Comment

I recommend tax breaks to those who use renewable sources and GENEROUS to EXCESSIVE tax benefits to those who develop them.

Tax breaks are a better incentive than penalties - dangling a carrot is better than threatening to take away the carrot.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Oil is great stuff.. it's just a shame we burn the damn stuff in vehicles. Ah the wonder of hydro-carbon based products.

Did you hear that there is a new plastic coming out based on soy beans? Seems like the only good thing for them!

Comment

I don't doubt tax breaks are better than penalties. However, for those cars (or factories) that are suitably horrible, they should have a penalty placed on them. So that the company attempts to change the vehicle to avoid the penalty.

Comment

You know, I remember a few years ago, the Denver area, I believe, gave tax breaks for people who bought low emission vehicles. They ended up in debt or other somesuch financial straights because of it.

Should definitely be planned well beforehand.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

hehehe, that's amusing.

Yes, it should be well planned, but they have the huge bureaucracy in Washington. You'd hope to think they could do something right .

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Were drilling as much as we can out of you guys. We get almost 10% of our oil from you. Canucks wont let us drill much more for enivorment reasons. Tho there is lots of USA investment money behind canadian exploration.

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                            Were drilling as much as we can out of you guys. We get almost 10% of our oil from you. Canucks wont let us drill much more for enivorment reasons. Tho there is lots of USA investment money behind canadian exploration.
                            What are you talking about?
                            There's tons of new oil being drilled every day. In Eastern Canada as well as the huge deposits in Northern Alberta where the oil giants are spending billions upon billions to get at the oil.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory

Sounds good to me! Care to invest a little money with NA Explorations? It will make you rich!

Comment

Working...
                              X