Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replies versus views ratio

friday afternoon

I've looked at views and replies of threads. A lot of threads seem to have a ratio of something about 1:9 in posts:views. Some more, some less.
    How about that? Any mathematicians can tell me why, in a way that I probably don't understand? Maybe a good statistics person can break this down into neat graphics?

We should approach threadcharacteristics more scientific to improve on quality.
    Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
    -
    My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

the weird thing is that i almost posted this exact same thread two days ago...I had almost finished it when my computer crashed =(
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
      the weird thing is that i almost posted this exact same thread two days ago...I had almost finished it when my computer crashed =(
      sure you did.

well, what's your opinion on the subject then?
      -

Comment

that finns look more and post less =) all the finnish threads have much higher ratios...
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

that finns look more and post less =) all the finnish threads have much higher ratios...

don't talk about finns, don't talk about finns

Although it would crank up the number of views.

just now 26 views for 3 replies. fits nice.
          -

Comment

it is the about the time of day when they are lurking about, looking and not posting, eh?

Comment

We had this same discussion a ways back. The average ratio at the time was 1:10. Nobody could really answer "why" that ratio, but it doesn't look like it has changed much over time
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

well, i think the ratio is really only 7 to 1 or 8 to 1. When you post, it takes you back to the thread, so that is 2 right there...same for every person. maybe 5 to 1 is more accurate

Comment

I lurk most of the threads that are interesting here almost daily, im guessing there are a few of my kind watching us right now.
                  It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Hmmm I thought it was 9.

Anyway, anything below 10 is good.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

okay, i think this would give a better ratio

realviews=views - (replies*2-1)

Comment

Originally posted by Wille
                        I lurk most of the threads that are interesting here almost daily, im guessing there are a few of my kind watching us right now.
                        Well done Drekkus, you flushed out a lurker

Of course of the 9 or 10 views per thread, 7 are probably Finns
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

okay, i think this would give a better ratio

realviews=views - (replies*2-1)
                          You assume that everyone who read the thread once also replied to it.
                          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

hmmm...not really sure what you mean, but i have an updated formula:

realviews=views - (replies*2-1) + replies

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                              Hmmm I thought it was 9.

Anyway, anything below 10 is good.
                              The entire population of finland saw BfB's thread, twice. So that ratio was above 80 or so. Is that less good?

What makes a good thread anyway?
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X