Thinking to yourself.... how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking to yourself.... how?

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine today about thought processes. Usually I think things in images. If I am trying to solve a puzzle, add up numbers I use abstract imagery to do it. When people are talking I abstractly see the scene in my head.

I hardly ever think of things in words, and if I do I end up talking to myself. As a result I am a bit slow on puns based on words that sound similar, but a lot quicker on "visual" camparison jokes.

Anyway what precipitated the discussion was my friend said that he knew he could speak fluent French because he could think in French. I commented that I don't even "think" in English. To me language is a nothing more than a communication interface. That is, without language you can still think, but expression is hampered.

So how do you think? Or more philosophically - What is thinking?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Don't know but I was always getting pissed at those old fart full of themselves linguistic academic dinosaur professor who kept claiming that "if you can't say it, you can't feel it and you can't think it".

Although I never had any problems with (Greek) words and vocabulary and I egotistically take pride at what I think of as great personal eloquence(gotta think you have something ), they always got on my nerves these paleolithic academic remains.

So let's say a simple farmer who only had basic education and never got around to reading Aristotle's Rhetorics can't feel the joy of his daughter getting married for example simply because he can't "express" it with more than 100 words?

bull

and of course what about a fully distored G-string or dancing or singing, or painting, sculpture etc?[/minor threadjack]

Comment

Mainly in words, but I've noticed that since begining to read books on a regular basis I can imagine images and scenes much better and more often then I used to be able to. But I started reading around the age of 15 - so it's possible that it's not really relevant, since alot's changing in the body around that age, regardless.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

In words and images. Sometimes, real great parts of books/stories create something like a "movie" in my mind - I even can imagine the right sounds/noises which would fit exactly to a certain atmosphere.

Hm, hope that is not a case for the doctors...
        Blah

Comment

I think in terms of naked women

Comment

I sometimes think in terms of naked men when I'm not thinking of something else.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'll post more coherently tomorrow when I've sobered up a bit, but I definitely think in English by now. I dream in English as well (which was kind of weird when it first happened after about 6 months in England). Now that i can think in onw foreign language I find that my other foreign languages have improved asw ell, eventhough I hardly ever practise them.

I think in words in general, in pictures when I am thinking about a specific situation.

Comment

An interesting question is; since you don't choose which thoughts that will enter your mind yourself - who the hell does?

Thinking is like playing a tape and we're the taperecorders, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Juggernaut
                  An interesting question is; since you don't choose the endless streams of thoughts entering your mind yourself - who the hell does?
                  Your subconscious mind.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I think it is a matter of education. I used to read a lot of books, so as a result I used to think excusively in the English language, but that has changed a little. After learning a lot of math I can think to myself in terms of math; seeing the equations themselves and the language of math. Sometimes if I see a lot of movies or play a lot of computer games my thoughts are more purely visual.

A similar thing sometimes happens with music or foreign languages; my thoughts are best expressed in a verbal but non-english format.

"Freude schöner Götterfunken,
                    Tochter aus Elysium,
                    ...."

Basically the mode of your thoughts will reflect the data that you take in. No surprise there.

Comment

hmm. well let me analize this.

When I read english, I think in terms of images. Whether it be a description of a historical figure, or a fictional book. I try to picture it in my mind.

One problem I have with foreign languages (I'm only familiar with one) is when I read that I tend to convert them to English words. And in turn I have to convert that into images. This slows me up. Hence why I'm not very good at speaking spanish to other spanish speaking people. It's much easier to read it- although I do that slow as well. I would like to be able to convert Spanish words directly into images. Part of the problem I blame on the U.S. school system . This would have been much easier if I took Spanish in elementary school. But I started learning in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                        Don't know but I was always getting pissed at those old fart full of themselves linguistic academic dinosaur professor who kept claiming that "if you can't say it, you can't feel it and you can't think it".

Although I never had any problems with (Greek) words and vocabulary and I egotistically take pride at what I think of as great personal eloquence(gotta think you have something ), they always got on my nerves these paleolithic academic remains.

So let's say a simple farmer who only had basic education and never got around to reading Aristotle's Rhetorics can't feel the joy of his daughter getting married for example simply because he can't "express" it with more than 100 words?

bull

and of course what about a fully distored G-string or dancing or singing, or painting, sculpture etc?[/minor threadjack]
                        Reminds me of when I got rejected from a medical school because I pointed out a crucial flaw in one of my interviewer's theories on thought processes. Though I did nod politely at his poor defense. Stupid state schools.

Yes, I'm getting meaner.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I think in words. If I'm running an idea through my head (pros and cons) I run it through like a discussion.

Comment

Ok, I have my serious answer now that I'm not thinking of naked men.

This semester, I am taking an Argumentation and Debate course. Next week, we will be discussing language from our textbook. The definition I have available is the following:

language: systematic coordination of grammar and vocabulary used to convey meaning

To elaborate on that definition, I have also read about the nature of language in the textbook:

1) people who share same language share set of cultural assumptions and way of thinking
                            2) words function on many levels and have capacity to change recipients' minds in different ways
                            3) language and meaning--words by themselves have no intrinsic meaning and only acquire meaning when people use them to describe their world
                            4) language and abstraction--langauge serves as a vehicle for conveying meaning between a source and receiver
                            5) connotations and denotations--when constructing an argument, one must deal with meaning of the language as he/she understands it, and how the audience understands it

So from what I have learned so far, I have come to the conclusion in my opinion, that we not only speak in our language, but we also think within the frame of whatever is our native language.

SOURCE: Critical Thinking and Communication--The Use of Reason in Argument, 4th Edition by Edward S. Inch and Barbara Warnick
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              1) people who share same language share set of cultural assumptions and way of thinking
                              I don't think this one is true. I honesty believe i have more in common with regard to cultural assumptions with Germans than with Americans. (I do admittedly think in German if I have been speaking it a lot but I grew p with English.)

Comment

Working...
                              X