No announcement yet.

What's WRONG with the Euro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why you design the image yourself and not rely on acquiring images from outsiders.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

The map (which cost $25 million to make, btw) consists of hundreds of spliced-together satelite images, all taken during perfect conditions. However, in the process several mistakes were made, small errors in colouring, etc. The mapmaker claims to be able to spot exactly the same small errors on the Euro notes.
      Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
      Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020124/1/2cpjm.html
        Actually, this was known before the Euro even went in circulation. It was in the papers here back in november or so.
        Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Not that it makes much difference it the grand scheme of things anyway. I mean, how many people are going to go through all that trouble of getting a load of Thai coins, just to save themselves a few cents at a vending machine?

Things like this happen. For instance, some venders here in Britain can be fooled quite badly. If you get two 1-pence coins and stick them together correctly, sometimes you can fool venders into thinking that you just put a £1 coin in. Few people do it regularly though.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

One of our customers makes coin apparatus for slot machines. Everytime someone releases a new coin there are different coins that can fool it. It's not as bad as the old 5p being accepted as a 1 mark coin in all German slot machines.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

For the Americans, Canadians, Brits and anyone else who hasn't seen the Euro yet: the map of Europe on the notes is only an outline - there is zero geographical content in the map except for the shoreline, which I think is pretty well know. So I don't see how they can claim it is their map!

The article talks about how the plains of Spain are slightly too big, but since it is just an outline on the notes I have no idea how this is used to compare. (There is some shading but it looks just like random shading - as if someone has shaded it in with a pencil.)

If they spend $3m making an outline they deserve to be laughed at.

Comment

Er, it's not just an outline. Look carefully and it's basically a two-colour, hi-contrast version of the satellite photo. It looks like it's filled in with random squiggles but apparently they are not.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

The shading is not random. But it isn't the first such claim - some german bureaucrat claimed rights to the name "Euro"....

Also, the distribution of euro notes is a matter where the ECB should be under the European Court of Justice jurisdiction, not that of national courts. It's not entirely clear, but I'd think so on first glance....

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
                    Er, it's not just an outline. Look carefully and it's basically a two-colour, hi-contrast version of the satellite photo. It looks like it's filled in with random squiggles but apparently they are not.
                    It is hardly high contrast - you can just make out bits like the alps in a slightly darker shading. Also it has wavey lines all over it (which is how the shading is done) - are you implying that these are geographical features? And why would North Africa and Turkey be in different colours on a topographical map?

If you think that is high contast you need to buy yourself a new atlas!

Even if it were done from a satellite photo, how could you tell which satellite photo it was? ANY satellite photo would look the same (unless Europe's mountains move about ). For that matter, you could draw the mountains on by hand with as much accuracy as that map!

Comment

Are they going to let Euro's circulate freely? Im curouis..

Say a traveler from the Vatican deposits his Euro's while on a trip to the germany. Will the Vatican Euro's be rounded up and sent back to the Vatican. I think you should let them move around freely. After a few years, you will have an awesome variety of Euro's .

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                        (and if I'm not mistaken many vending machines have already been adapted, at least here in the Netherlands)...
                        Remember the parking meters in Amsterdam?

The parking meters accepted 2 Eurocent coins (=4.4 Guilder cents) for 25 Guilder cent coins, hence: "Free" parking, w00h00!

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                          Will the Vatican Euro's be rounded up and sent back to the Vatican. I think you should let them move around freely. After a few years, you will have an awesome variety of Euro's .
                          I'm not aware of any plan to "repatriate" euro coins (notes are identical anyway). The only thing I've heard about is related to general supply issues with the northern hordes moving southwards in summer....

Comment

I thought that each nation got a different note..of course they are all the same Euro currency. But the Vatican got pictures of the pope on there's. And (not sure about this) France got the eiffel tower. Each nation had somthing important on theres.

So thats what I thought

Comment

Notes are identical. Coins have one identical side across the eurozone, and one with national design. Vatican, Andorra, Monaca and San Marino also have the Euro as legal tender, though I'm not sure whether all also issue coins.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                                The parking meters accepted 2 Eurocent coins (=4.4 Guilder cents) for 25 Guilder cent coins, hence: "Free" parking, w00h00!
                                Damn, I think I missed that scandal Did that ever make the national news or was is more of a local thing? Cause if it was a local thing, I think I'm gonna put the meters here in Twente through a little test

faded glory,
                                I think the idea is to let the Euros circulate more or less freely. Of course, even before the Euro came coins were taken out of circulation and replaced with new ones all the time. But I've already spotted the first Greek coins here in the Netherlands so I think having 8+ different 'nationalities' in your wallet (I currently have 3 myself: Dutch, German, French ) won't be very exceptional a few months/years from now
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X