Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABA

American Bar Association (the lawyers)
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Oh.

Isn't there a separate trial lawyer group for most of the lobbying, or is that really done by/within the bar association ?

Comment

• Naw... the ABA does all the lobbying. There isn't a seperate trial lawyer group that is really influential at all in lobbying.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Hoek - If buying diamonds is immoral because some people murdered others to acquire diamonds to sell, does that mean buying other products is immoral if some people murder others to acquire those products to sell? Is having money immoral because some people commit murder to obtain money?

Comment

• The ABA portrays itself as an upstanding professional organization, and so far as I can tell it is. The dirty work of lobbying is done by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. http://www.atlanet.org/ This group, which conists almost entirely of plaintiff's attorneys, is at the forefront of virtually every effort to frustrate tort reform.
            Old posters never die.
            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam Smith
              The dirty work of lobbying is done by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
              That was the group I had in mind.

Comment

• Adam S is right. ATLA is very active both at the state and federal levels. Don't get me started......
                "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Former ENRON executive John Baxter was just found dead in his car--apparent suicide.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• --"Isn't there a separate trial lawyer group for most of the lobbying"

I was more referring to the number of current or ex-lawyers in office than any lobbying group. It would be interesting to see how many current Congressmen are ex-trial lawyers as opposed to other types, though.

Wraith
                    "Bunny goes hop... bunny goes hop... bunny goes hop"
                    -- Wollen ("Fire Always Makes it Better")

Comment

• I hear a lot of demand for tort reform, but alot of what I hear seems like it would really hurt the people that tort is supposed to help. I am aware there are problems with the way the system is now, but it seems like those who call for tort reform the loudest are trying to minimize their liability for their mistakes. If someone gets seriously hurt by their negligence and malpractice, they get off the hook pretty lightly (this is the way tort reform worked in Illinois).
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                      X