I'm back, and I'm madder than before!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris,

Both you and Higgsy show promise, your both intelligent and show potential, but a "me first, f*ck the world" attitude will only lead to disaster later in life, I can promise you this.
    Actually, that's a mischaracterization of myself, at least. I do not have a "me first, **** the world" attitude. I'm actually very non-selfcentered in lots of ways. The thing is, though, that I do feel that the concept of rights are more important, that the government has no right to stick me into the military against my will. This is not a selfish attitude, as I view selfishness. This is simply a political viewpoint, one that I'm willing to back up.

In the USA and Britain, nobody makes you join a military outfit, and if you don't want to, that's your buisiness.
    My premise for these discussions is WHAT IF a draft was instituted.

But the brainless attacks about it show a depth of intense ignorence.
    Actually I don't recall attacking the institution of the military itself, I recall attacking things such as the draft and the use of the military for purposes I disagree with.

MtG,

Assuming you wanted to try that, (10-20 in Leavenworth discourages most people) do you honestly think that 30 or so year old full time professionals aren't prepared for someone to try and have a go at them?

You've got the dual problem of dealing with a professional who is selected for the job by professionals, and an institution that is stacked 100% in their favor. The basic point is that you will be transformed from an individualist to a team player.
    I'm sure they are ready for someone to have a go at them - but honestly, how much do you REALLY think that happens on the first day of Basic? Probably not that much, although I don't really know.
    And I underdstand what you're saying about the consequences, etc., but my point is that if I was drafted, and actually caught (although I doubt I would be) I'd really cease to care.

So what do you plan to do for a living? What you're describing is pretty fundamental to having almost any job.
    Not necessarily, and there's a big difference between being ordered to go fight in someone else's civil war, and some normal everyday thing at another job, although I will admit lawyers skirt the edge

There's a big difference in people who've trained for competition, and people who also train for fighting. And a much bigger difference if you run into anyone from the belt factory set - they're just so much BS it's sad, especially when they don't know it and they're getting ripped off.
    I totally agree - it's so funny, they like to talk big about their 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and really, it's like well whoopdi****, you can kick high

I've studied/played around with lots of different styles, but primarily Kajukenbo system, which is a purely street-fighting style developed in Hawaii in the late 1940's. Currently, I'm just a ****ing pussycat.
    Not heard of that style, actually. And I'm sure you're not a pussycat, just being modest

If the strength comes with a compromise in coordination and speed, yes, but all other things being equal, it helps. I can take some little 200-pounder and literally pick him up and throw his ass across a decent-size room. My brown-belt buddy weighed in at about 145, I weigh in about 270, and I lifted him off the ground, spun him and threw him over me with one hand. I was a little sore afterwards, but nowhere near as bad off as he was.
    Sure, strength does help, but I don't think it's most important.
    What you did to that guy is certainly pretty cool, but it might be a bit harder to pull off against a good grappler (not against me, though, hell I'm only 160 you'd probably break me in half if we were doing a fight demo or whatever - I could probably take that brown belt though )

Leverage affects whether someone will take you to the ground, but strength and balance fit in the mix. Really, all you're doing with leverage is applying some area where you're strong against an area where your opponent is weak - it doesn't matter how much you can bench press, there are simply ways your arms aren't designed to move, and most people tend to cooperate in lieu of having an elbow or shoulder torn out. But again, it's all balancing different strengths and weaknesses, and it takes a lot of training to be able to reliably get control over someone stronger - if the training levels are similar, the physically weaker guy is at a disadvantage, and sure as hell can't afford to make any mistakes.
    Yes, if training levels are similar, both people are trained in the same art, and one person is heavier, the heavier person has the advantage. However, if a small grappler is fighting a big striker, the small grappler is probably going to win, simply because he understands how to use leverage, especially on the ground, while the striker generally does not.
    The other element is, once a fight is on the ground, if a guy significantly stronger is on his back, with a weaker guy on top in some fashion, the strong guy is emphatically NOT going to be able to just lift the small guy off - it doesn't work that way, and if he tries he'll probably get armbarred.

Hell, boy, come on down this way, and we can stack jarhead ass every Saturday night in up in La Zona Norte. Seriously, though, people trained to kill in combat (and it depends on what these specific samples of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children do, if they're clerks or mechanics, it's a bit different from a force recon Marine) aren't really trained to spar around.
    Maybe someday, hehe.
    Yes, I understand most people trained to kill aren't trained to spar, but how many soldiers are well-trained in how to kill someone in hand-to-hand combat in a couple of seconds? Not that many I'd assume.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LOL what's that smell? Rutting season for all the stags?

That said... I think all this nonsense about 'technique' in fighting is just nonsense that the fighters try to believe for psychological reasons.

My cousin Luke did 4 years for agg. assault. He said a lotta guys do nothing BUT train and fight in that world. Viciously. He saw 400 lb + guys break supposedly 'armoured' bulletproof glass. Nobody is invincible. You can be fast, strong, tough, and have absolutely no hesitation. There's always going to be someone faster, stronger, tougher, and with even less hesitation than you.

Also: Total security is a dream. I've known men who have lived in the bush, devoting their lives to rendering their property as impregnable as possible, mines, bombs, claymores, hidden bunkers, the whole thing. It's a dream. Security is a state of mind.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
        You weigh 270, MtG?
        What a satchel ass.
        Yeah, and I can probably arm-curl you with one arm, and DF in the other.

I'm the runt (vertically speaking) in my family - got cousins all over my dad's side from 6-4 to 6-8, but I stopped growing at 6-1 and change. There went my career opportunities in the NFL or NBA.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
        X