The Best Science Fiction Series of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I don't know if you ever noticed it, but on "The Next Generation" they occasionally have men with shaven legs walking around in Uhuru-esque miniskirts. How much more gay can you get?
    That explains a lot, you're a trekkie

Comment

I get the feeling that whatever you said, you said to me.

Enjoy your vacation.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Before I forget (again), I better add NieA_7 to the list of good anime sci-fi.

It's the story of a very poor cram school student (cram school being what those who don't pass the university entrance exams the first time go to), just trying to get by. It's a slice-of-life style show, so it wouldn't appeal to everyone. Just the story of her trying to get by, working several part-time jobs to cover expenses.
        Where's the sci-fi, you ask? Well, she just happens to have an alien for a roomate. Eating her food, and building (more or less) functional UFOs out of garbage and generally being obnoxious.

It's just the kind of thing that happens after humans got used to having all those aliens around, after their mothership crashed.

And in non-anime animation, I better bring up both Star Trek: The Animated Series and my current favorite US cartoon, Invader Zim.

Wraith
        "And at the end of the wormhole... a room with a moose!"
        -- Zim ("Invader Zim")

Comment

Hey, if you start talking about science fiction animation it would be outright criminal to forget Futurama.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Say, that would be an interesting kink to throw into the new "Enterprise" series, a story line that the Klingons encourage the formation of "Sacred Bands". The "Sacred Bands" were special units of warriors in ancient greece formed exclusively of homosexuals. Pairs of lovers would bind themselves together and make a sacred vow to fight to the death for each other. It was thought that such units would fight with extra vigor.

The Romans made short work of them.

My favorite TV sci-fi series would have to be Babylon 5. I can think of numerous examples of bad writing on any of the Star Trek series.

I eventually grew to like "Farscape", but I thought that the first season especially suffered from both bad acting and bad writing.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Books are superior to TV.

1. The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov
              2. The Dune series by Frank Herbert
              3. The Fire Upon the Deep series by Vernor Vinge
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

Yeah R_J you should really be watching the original Star Trek - it's sooo camp!

I still love it though!

I have to say my favourite is Stargate - there's hardly a poor episode and the whole realisation of the universe is fantastic!

As for still having 'primitive' weapons, it seems ironic that the other race's technologies have advanced so far that they have no natural defence against mere projectile weapons - thus making them all the more powerful...

In fact only today I watched an episode where they demonstrated the difference between a staff weapon and a P90 (isn't that a French weapon?)

"Yours is a weapon of intimidation, ours is a weapon of WAR!" O'Neill

Also they have tried harnessing alien tech, if you witness what happened when they tried adapting their own death glider...

My favourite character has to be Teal'c - some of his expressions have me in stitches!

What else DS9 was head and shoulder above the rest of the Treks, with the conflict and the intrigues - and less of a 'sappy episode' quotient... TNG in particular and Voyager seemed to have too many crappy moral tale type episodes, or anything to do with Wesley Crusher was a big no-no!

Farscape is awesome too!

Dr Who was great too - but only as far as Tom Baker. It went downhill after that as everyone on the BBC saw it as an excuse to camp it up and overact more and more outrageously with each passing series...

When I was a kid it was Battlestar Galactica (They might do a new series when Enterprise (who else here thinks this is utter sh*te!!?) finally coughs out...) and Buck Rogers mmm... Princess Ardala!

I remember seeing Flash Gordon as matinees down at the local cinema for the kids!
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Awww damn.....MOBIUS beat me to the punch

Dr.Who......I watched it when I was little. And damnit, bye todays standerds its petty corny. But back then, it was awesome. I used to dream about Dr.Who......the Darlecks and Cyber-men were awesome .

My favorite one was the one where that davros dude and the Golden Darlecks went to war on the spaceship .....damn....Im probably the only one who remember's that

edit- tom baker? There where 11 Dr's if im not mistaken. All of them traveled in the Tartus police box(was that it!?)

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                    It has a gay robot head?!?! How exactly does that work?
                    Um, male plugs and oral sex only, I guess.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by faded glory
                      edit- tom baker? There where 11 Dr's if im not mistaken. All of them traveled in the Tartus police box(was that it!?)
                      Seven I think...

William Hartnell (B&W, a bit too crappy by the time I saw them...)

Patrick Troughton (B&W/Colour - not bad!)

Jon Pertwee (A lot set in England with the hapless British Major character)

Tom Baker - THE DOCTOR! He was the one true doctor - he was born for the role.

Peter Davidson - OK once I got over the shock of losing Tom... He could never shake off his 'All Creatures Great and Small' character in my eyes - I kept imagining him trying to birth a Dalek or give a Cyberman a Foot and Mouth injection!

Colin Baker - Uggggh! This man should have been staked out in the Sahara desert and has his entrails picked over by vultures just for having the same surname as the great Tom

Sylvester McCoy - Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse they scrape the bottom of the BBC's 'talent' (uses word very loosely indeed!) barrel and come up with an ex children's science show presenter who proceeds to completely destroy the last vestiges of what was once a truly excellent show...

My favourite character was The Master, I also loved the Daleks (Where's a decent sized flight of stairs when you need them!!?) and Cybermen etc... Dr Who's best companions were K-9 and Romana

Oh, it's a 'Tardis' BTW, though I can't remember what that stands for...

Does anyone else remember Blake's 7?
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I personally thought the camping it up made Dr. Who quite fun in the late years

...and only remember Blake's 7 because it was the **** that was on before Dr. Who in the mornings on UK Gold

Comment

MOBIUS:
                          I wouldn't blame either Baker or McCoy, I blame John Nathan Turner since he was in charge...and let's face it, the scripts were generally poor by that point (I have no idea why).

(and TARDIS stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space...ie gibberish)

...oh yeah, and there were 8 (9 if you include the 60s movies)...Paul McGann still counts, even if it wasn't a particularly good story.

(Lefty...Leela)

... one more edit...she was last seen playing Beppe's mother on Eastenders...
                          Last edited by Tolls; January 17, 2002, 12:06.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

Dr Who's best companions were K-9 and Romana
                            I like the barbarian chick (can't remeber the name) he had for one season, between sarah & Romana IIRC. She was always looking for a opportunity to gut someone with that knife, and gleefully gloated over deafeated enemies.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

(Do I have to show myself to be even more ofa geek than Tolls?)

There's another Doctor you missed out man... think Trial of a Timelord.

Comment

...hehehehe...he doesn't count...he was half a Doctor (or some such twaddle...between regenerations blah blah blah)

A mate of mine at Poly went to the conventions and the like, had the whole thing on vid (or what was available)...we all wanted to see Jon and Tom, but he insisted we had to watch through from the start, so much watching of very poor quality, eye-straining Hartnell...

I am now scarred for life, and do occasionally catch myself going through rec.arts.drwho on google...I've been told there's no cure...

Comment

Working...
                                X