Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Science Fiction Series of All-Time

My list:

1. Farscape. Real science fiction. Interesting characters that are flawed enough to avoid the Curse of Trek---ie, they aren't a bunch of perfect people standing on their perfect bridge congratulating one another on how perfectly they avoid interferring in other people's affairs---but likeable enough to identify with. Farscape also dares to do things no other series has attempted-----has any other series ever had the audacity to drive their main character insane for a full season? The episodes do get a little too shrill at times, what with two or three raving madmen running around Moya trying to kill one another(and those are just the recurring characters!)----but they are never boring.

2. ST:TNG. Okay, the first season was a little strange, and the last two seasons were repetitive and dull. But there is no arguing with episodes like The Best of Both Worlds, Yesterday's Enterprise or Ship in a Bottle.

3. Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Took absolute garbage and turned it into some of the most entertaining science fiction television ever made. Funnier overall than Red Dwarf. Despite the fact that it is pure comedy, it nonetheless deals with science fiction issues-----through gentle sarcasm and affectionate ribbing.

4. ST: TOS

5. Babylon 5. Some of the greatest moments in science fiction, marred by highly uneven acting, writing, plot and character development. Every moment of riveting high drama is matched by some moment of bathos----one of JMS's "humorous" moments, or a deadly serious "character building" story. A great opportunity that never quite gelled.
    Last edited by Khan Singh; January 13, 2002, 13:28.
    Now get the Hell out of our Galaxy!

MST3k is good, but the others.
    Wheres X-files (the originals were awesome)

When I was a kid I watched the minseries V (that was really cool cause' I was like 10 or so)

What about Robotech (ok, its a cartoon, but it was the first cartoon that I ever saw that people actually died, not like GIJOE or anything where everybody parachuted out of their planes when they got shot down.)

And Starblazers
    "were off to save the world.... our starblazers"
    that was a killer cartoon.

Many many more, I just cant remember any of them

Comment

Farscape is definately one of the best SF series. Quality writing, acting, and decent special effects.

The more I look back, the more I realize that Star Trek: TNG was an exceedingly formulaic series. Either it was about a character realizing that the world was wrong and struggling to get his psyche back to reality or it was some dilema that could only be solved by fixing the flibberty-do machine. When it wasn't one of these two, then it required pulling a deus ex machina out of their butt. Despite that, there were some quality episodes, the Borg Invasion probably being the best (though still marred by the deus ex machina).

For its time, Star Trek: TOS was quite good, but often I find the series unwatchable these days.

Dr. Who, cheesy stories, over the top acting, but lots of fun. Still on of my all time favorites.

I loved Bab 5, but all of Kahn Singh's critiques are correct. Still, they had some of the creepiest moments in SF. Also, they knew how to create a story arc.

The original Flash Gordan. Come on, you know I'm right.

Since CB2034 brought in anime, I'm gonna have to bring in Coyboy Bebop which is just fantastic. Distopic future, well written, good voice actors (in English), excellent art, deeply flawed characters.

Robotech A very interesting story, and decent English voice actors. More or less based on the orginal Japanese series.

Serial Experiement: Lain, what is humanity in the electronic world? Possibly one of the best SF series period.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hey is this only for TV series?

If not then I nominate:

1. Star Wars.

C'mon remember that awesome feeling when the Star Destroyer soared over your head & Lando piloting the Falcon into the second Death Star?
        And despite the criticism Episode 1 has had roughly the same effect upon the generation now 5-10 as Episode 4-6 did on my own.

2. The Foundation series by Azimov.

Impressive space opera, even after nearly half a century since publication. Combine this with the later books written by Asimov and the even more recent titles by various other authors and it makes compelling reading.

3. The Uplift series by David Brin.

Another great space opera with an interesting take on Enviromentalism.
        19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

I like Stargate personally.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
            I like Stargate personally.
            I liked that show, but:

1) They killed off all the likable aliens.

2) How come they haven't usen stolen alien tech to equip themselves with something better than a machine gun?

Comment

When a sci-fi programme has a gay character in it, I'll vote.

Comment

Originally posted by el freako
                2. The Foundation series by Asimov.

Impressive space opera, even after nearly half a century since publication. Combine this with the later books written by Asimov and the even more recent titles by various other authors and it

When I first read it, it was somewhat amazing that the books had been written in the fifties.

Do not forget the Empire and Robot series.

Nor must one not forget the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series, whether it is the books or the radio shows.

There are many nominees here that I like, but the only TV-series that I have had the opportunity to completely view, thanks to the complete moronity of local television broadcasters, is Babylon 5.
                When I read the first post, my first thought was: "WTF is 'Farscape'?"
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                  Wesley Crusher, from The Next Generation.
                  That actor actually has a website up here where he posts regularly: www.wilwheaton.net
                  Last edited by Asher; January 13, 2002, 16:42.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                    Bab 5 had a gay relatioship between one of the telepaths and the main female human character.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I said gay, not lesbian

We all know that's just so nerds can get their rocks off

Comment

If you want gay characters, go watch a musical.

Inserting gays, lesbians, people with drinking problems, or people with problems getting dates is exactly the sort of soap opera mentality that ruins fiction. Science fiction should deal with larger issues than the personal problems of its poorly acted characters. If it doesn't then it is just a soap opera that happens to be set in the future.

The character's personal problems should only come into the story if they in some way interact with the science fiction problem and help to resolve the science fiction plotline.

Comment

Originally posted by Khan Singh
                          Inserting gays, lesbians, people with drinking problems, or people with problems getting dates is exactly the sort of soap opera mentality that ruins fiction. Science fiction should deal with larger issues than the personal problems of its poorly acted characters. If it doesn't then it is just a soap opera that happens to be set in the future.

The character's personal problems should only come into the story if they in some way interact with the science fiction problem and help to resolve the science fiction plotline.
                          It's interesting how you say gays should not be included in the shows, but you've made no mention of straights.

Are you homophobic?
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

How the hell did KAhn Singh work that one out? Sci-fi characters have boyfriends and girlfriends all the time! Why can't a couple be gay, it doenst have to be a storyline in itself!

Comment

I stated that inserting gay characters simply because they are gay is soap opera, not science fiction.

Can you read?

Comment

Working...
                              X