Five best rulers of your country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five best rulers of your country

And I'm NOT talking about those measurement gadgets. What I'm talking about are leaders of country! For countries like US this means presidents, and for countries like Great Britain it could mean either five best kings or five best prime ministers.

For Finland:

1. Carl Gustav Emil Mannerheim - While this is more of lifetime achievement award, there was still one important thing about Mannerheim's two-year-long presidency - it allowed us to distance ourselves from Germany and make peace treaty with SU, thus saving our country from communist tyranny.

2. Juho Kusti Paasikivi - Governed during the Danger Years of late Fourties when it looked possible local Communists might take over, and set course for policy of neutrality that saved us from communist tyranny.

3. Kaarlo Juho Ståhlberg - the first president is responsible for much of Constitution, but we shan't forget his contribution to national unity - amnesty for Red soldiers shacked up in concentration camps after the Civil War. If Finland hadn't managed to mostly heal it's wounds by time of Winter War, we would have surely went under the heel of communist tyranny.

4. Pehr Evind Svinhufvud - During the thirties, Finland, like about every other country in Europe, had a fascist movement. Thirties were their heydays, and they actually attempted a coup in 1935?, converging in town of Mäntsälä and making various demands, believing conservative Svinhufvud to be receptive. Svinhufvud, however, told them to disperse in a radio speech, and his authority was enough to make all but most hard-core fanatics disperse. It's doubtful someone with less authority in righty circles would have managed to save us from fascist tyranny.

...which would have most likely led to eventual Soviet conquest and communist tyranny.

5. Urho Kaleva Kekkonen. Kekkonen ruled for 25 years and became almost synonymous with presidency. While his autocracy and want of power were rather uncouth, he still continued the foreign policy line of Paasikivi, thus saving us from communist tyranny. And he was one of the most interesting characters in Finnish history, that's for sure.
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Well as the product of our fine Canadian educational system, I really can't remember to many of our PM's, and what they did.

But probably the best KNOWN one would have to be Trudeau. IMO I think he was one of the worst though.
    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

The Dutch king William I was the best ruler of Belgium
      In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
      In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Well, I'm going to go pretty much with the standard set for the US:

(in order)
        1. George Washington
        2. FDR
        3. Abraham Lincoln
        4. Theodore Roosevelt
        5. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Stefu, there are a lot of jokes about Kekkonen.

Comment

Of course there are, Lars-E. Of course there are.

President Kekkonen was on a visit to countryside. Suddenly the care he was in stopped.

"What happened?" Kekkonen angrily demanded to know from chauffeur.

Chauffeur stepped outside, soon came back and said "Looks like I hit someone's pig."

"Well, you should go and apologize for it, then" said Kekkonen. Chauffeur left for a house nearby.

An hour went. Another hour went. Kekkonen got more and more annoyed. More hours went. It was past midnight when the chauffeur returned.

"What the hell took so long?" Kekkonen shouted.

"Well", chauffeur began, "I just went there and they all got very happy and the father came to shake my hand and gave me money and mother went to cook me a fine meal and father went to cellar to get some of his finest wines, and after I had eaten and drunk they heated up sauna for me, and after I had bathed and was resting the beautiful daughter of the house came and had sex with me, and it got kind of late so I left."

"Oh? What did you tell them?" asked Kekkonen.

Chauffeur answered "I don't know what got them so excited. All I did was go there and say "I'm a chauffeur for president Kekkonen and I just killed the pig.""
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Good leaders of my country were Helmut Kohl, Otto v. Bismarck, Frederick I Barbarossa, Frederick (II) "the Great" of Prussia... and I can't think of a decent fifth one...

Frederick I "Barbarossa" was actually the first to re-unite the German empire. Regional lords had gained a lot of power and questioned the Emperor's authority, which he stopped. His greatest rival, Henry the Lion was defeated by him
              Frederick II "Fiederico" was a paper tiger compared to him. Being the former's grandson, he dissolved the empire again, did nothing against the Tatars/Mongols (1247) and just lived for fun on Sicily

Frederick II of Prussia, "the Great" - made Prussia one of the most powerful states in Europe, in a time when Prussia was still Prussia. Later on, in the 19th century, Prussia was a symbol for militarism. Back into the 18th century, it was symbol for enlightened/reasoned absolutism, liberal politics and the like; Frederick the Great gained lots of territories for Prussia and gave proof to Europe that the French army was not unbeatable. A second Great Power on German territory meant more stability in the crumbled empire.

Otto v. Bismarck - he became Prussian MP in 1862. He reformed the army, made tactical war against Denmark, Austria and then France in order to gain political allies, finally founded the North German alliance and then made the 2nd German Empire possible. Many would consider him a militarist, imperialist and ultra conservatist... and that he most certainly was , nonetheless the re-unification of the empire was an important step for balance in economy and living standard for Central Europe. After 1871 (reunification), there were more than 40 yeras of peace. And WWII did not break out because of Bismarck's stupidity. German's share on war responsibility lies in Wilhelm II.

Helmut Kohl - "3rd reunificaiton" as I call it in 1990 is officially attributed to him, even thouhg it was an achievement of many people. Now considering how hard the social democrats were fighting the reunification back then it is odd how they can get so many votes in this part of the country nowadays

Can you help me with the 5th?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew1999
                Well, I'm going to go pretty much with the standard set for the US:

(in order)
                1. George Washington
                2. FDR
                3. Abraham Lincoln
                4. Theodore Roosevelt
                5. Thomas Jefferson
                Not sure what you mean by the "standard set" but here's mine in chronological order:

George Washington
                Thomas Jefferson
                Andrew Jackson
                Theodore Roosevelt
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'll leave our insight to Laz. I'm sure he will have a much more informative and hilarious one than I could compose
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Then shut up Provost, I used to get banned regulalry because of bullsh!t answers like that

Comment

The best Prime Minister we ever had was a Conservative. In fact, he was recently voted "best British person ever".
                      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Can you help me with the 5th?

Ecthelion,

Is Charlemange considered German? He lived and died in Aachen, so that would count I think.
                        Well, lets just imagine my question is not hypothetical then...
                        -
                        My God, I'm thirty, I need a drink - english textbook spelling error

Comment

David and Solomon... But it's hard to differentiate facts from myths about them. As for modern Israel, I'll go with Ben Gurion for getting the whole thing going.
                          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Fairytales don't count, Eli...
                            Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

They are far from being fairytales. After the Torah(or whatever the first five books are called in English) most of the stuff are a bit exaggerated facts. But still facts.
                              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                              X