Apple's new iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's new iMac

Well, it looks like the TimeCanada.com webmaster will lose his job. They spilled the beans on Steve Jobs' big announcement tomorrow at MacWorld: The new Apple iMac.

Story and details here, and the picture is here.

It looks like a desklamp.
    Attached Files
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

And another view:
    Attached Files
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I still think it's cool.

I've been hanging around a Mac forum the past week or so and those that have seen it love it.

This whole MacWorld coming up tomor...er, today is supposed to be huge. I don't own any Apple products, but they still get my interest piqued when they release new stuff.
      "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Gee, more eyecandy and gimicks, who would'a thunk?
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Instead of making the outside look 'cool', shouldn't they focus on the insides a bit more?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Instead of making the outside look 'cool', shouldn't they focus on the insides a bit more?
            Up to a gig of RAM, a G4, a Superdrive, and Airport ready, I think they did on that regard.

Gah...I'm talking like a Mac zealot now.
            "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

And how much does that cost, compared to a PC with the same stuff inside?

By the insides, I meant, make it into a PC, not a ****ty Mac .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The cost is pretty much identical to an IBM LCD-on-a-crane system, except the IBM has a Pentium 4 1.6GHz.

Comment

am i the only one who thinks the new iMac, although boasting nice stats, is even uglier than the original iMac?

i mean, the original iMac was bad enough, with all of those colors that hurt the eyes, added to the bubbly package... and this one? sure, one, nice, simple color, but it looks like a toy. ugh.

i don't want a computer that's shaped like a kid's toy. and at that size? it looks to be as useless as a G4 Cube, at least in terms of expansion outside of Airport and Memory...

utterly worthless, if you ask me. If i'm getting a Mac, it'll be one of those nice, cute, G4 towers. or one of those nice, sweet, PowerBooks Titanium. (Or is it PowerBook Titaniums?)
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

i don't want a computer that's shaped like a kid's toy. and at that size? it looks to be as useless as a G4 Cube, at least in terms of expansion outside of Airport and Memory...

utterly worthless, if you ask me. If i'm getting a Mac, it'll be one of those nice, cute, G4 towers. or one of those nice, sweet, PowerBooks Titanium. (Or is it PowerBook Titaniums?)

If you can afford those, then you're not the one Apple is marketing those to. Remember when the original iMac came out, people bought it as their first computer, etc. while the more serious computer users stuck with their PC's or the high end Mac towers.

This is mass market fair. Something I'd have my sister buy, while I'm ordering an Alienware PC.

Thinking like that, memory and airport expansion is all someone is going to need. I think the thing goes up to a 60 gig harddrive, that's plenty.

I for one couldn't use one of these full time, simply because I can't use monitors under 17" for a long period of time. I'm used to the 17" at work and my 19" here at home.

But when it's all said and done, Apple will never gain market share (double digit) unless and until they can put out games at the same time as the PC.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
                      Remember when the original iMac came out, people bought it as their first computer, etc. while the more serious computer users stuck with their PC's or the high end Mac towers.
                      Exactly, they are scamming people who don't know what they are geting into by offering them a bunch of shiny boxes and 'cool' designs.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Exactly, they are scamming people who don't know what they are geting into by offering them a bunch of shiny boxes and 'cool' designs.
                        while i personally despise crapintosh computers, i don't exactly think they are scamming people...if all u want to do is listen to music, chat, surf the net, and use office any computer will do...while the mac zealots are tiresome i do think that they have a decent vision at the company (though a very poor implementation in my opinion)

but have they ever adopted a two button mouse? if not what are they thinking?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by korn469

but have they ever adopted a two button mouse? if not what are they thinking?!?!?!

No, but two button mice do work with it.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

The cost is pretty much identical to an IBM LCD-on-a-crane system, except the IBM has a Pentium 4 1.6GHz.
                            *yawn*

Intel measures clockspeed in a slightly more "interesting" way than Apple currently does (see video, http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/). This paragraph especially caught my attention:

In tests involving 9 Photoshop actions, the new 733MHz system is 33% faster, the 867MHz system is 58% faster and the dual 800MHz Power Mac G4 creams the 1.7GHz Pentium 4 by a blistering 83%.
                            Photoshop, granted, but the performance gap is still MUCH tighter than you'd think.

Also, RAM esp for Macs is extremely cheap (easily take it up to 512 from 256). Add in the DVD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM/CD-ROM capabilities, along with the Airport setup and flat panel monitor, and there's one hell of a deal on the table here. All with Apple's recognized performance and support - and OSX (+9.1, no real emulation but then again no compatability issues like the ones with XP). This puppy doesn't take up much space either.

Apple's on the right track. Buy some stock guys, it's all uphill from here.

Comment

But Wig.. you can't do anything with it unless you are in the graphics design end of things. That's why they tested it with Photoshop.

Apple has jack for games.
                              What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Working...
                              X