Marijuana Legalization - Why Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juggernaut

When they legalized cannabis in the Netherlands in 1976, the usage amongst 15-16 year olds was about 3%, same number for 17-18 yer olds was 10%. 10 years after the legalization were the numbers 2% respectively 6%. To compare with restrictive US's High School students' 59%!
    I think that tell us that a more liberal aproach actually diminish the problem, not the other way round. Banning is generally bad.
    The only critisiscm I have of Netherlands' Drug Politics is that they didn't went the whole way and legalized hard drugs as well. The government do give out pure needles however, this is not a way to encourage narcotica usage, but is seen as a way to save lives.
    With I do respect, though my opinion is extremely unpopular around here, I think we should increase the sentence for drug related crimes. We should strengthen the DEA and give the Drug Dealers hell. If we want to fight this problem we must not legalize because that will make it worse, but we must increase the funding for the Drug Enforcement Agency, and double prision sentences. A hard offense is the best defense.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

we must not legalize because that will make it worse
      Yes, exactly what my quoted post claimed...

We should strengthen the DEA and give the Drug Dealers hell
      Yes, go ahead and strengthen the Colombian drug mafia...

Comment

The Marijuana you smoke is not natural Sloww..its heavily fortified with THC that wouldnt be there otherwise. It creates a bigger high.

And ya it ****s you up. I smoked lots of it....it hurts your mathematical/coping skills alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Juggernaut
          Yes, go ahead and strengthen the Colombian drug mafia...
          No it is the other way around. If we legalize it will strengthen the drug cartels because the prices will drop. Though some smaller cartels would be put out of business, the larger ones would start to grow more, have demand from those in the US who previously could not afford the illegalized marijuana and the whole situation would blow itself out of proportions.

I believe we must send troops into these areas and wipe them out. Specifically Colombia. The drug cartels in Colombia are controlled the AUC, ELN and FARC. All must be destroyed because they are terrorist groups, and all terrorist groups must be eliminated and the fact that they are screwing up the country aiming for false ideals. I think the Colombian Government should passes articles of war, deploying its entire 125,000 men Army.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Why stop with marijuana?

Almost half a million non-violent drug offenders are currently locked up in the US prison system. Weed abusers are not the only people who deserve their freedom.

I believe that there are currently trial runs of heroin legalization in London and Geneva. Hopefully their success will lead to the legalization of hard drugs accross Europe.

have demand from those in the US who previously could not afford the illegalized marijuana and the whole situation would blow itself out of proportions.
            Everyone can already afford marijuana in the US. If I really wanted to, I could get some weed right now for very little money. The cost is not prohibitive.

and the whole situation would blow itself out of proportions.
            Learn some economics, BAM. By criminalizing mj, we're artificially increasing the price, and therefore the supply.

The drug cartels in Colombia are controlled the AUC, ELN and FARC.
            The guerillas are about as complicit in drug trafficking as the Colombian state.

All must be destroyed because they are terrorist groups, and all terrorist groups must be eliminated and the fact that they are screwing up the country aiming for false ideals.
            Yep, the terrorist Colombian state also needs to be destroyed.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
              No it is the other way around. If we legalize it will strengthen the drug cartels because the prices will drop. Though some smaller cartels would be put out of business, the larger ones would start to grow more, have demand from those in the US who previously could not afford the illegalized marijuana and the whole situation would blow itself out of proportions.
              Uhm...if we legalize there will no longer be any drug cartels... That's kinda the point with legalization..
              Drugs will be handled by the government. Which drugs do you think buyers prefer: expensive, unsecure, possibly mixtured drugs, or drugs cheaper, sold open over counters, quality-assured, federally approved by the Drug Agency?
              Each year, thousands of addicts die from mixtured drugs. Each year we lose millions on not selling narcotica. There are potential jobs for the unemployeds in this business, people shouldn't have to turn to illegal sellers.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                I know this makes me "unpolular" but I don't think marijuana should be legalized.

It also makes me smile saddly when I see people fighting for it like it is the most important thing on earth
                There's more to it than that. It's more of a symbol of the government today...

Really, why does the government ban marijuana when using the stuff isn't any more addictive than alcohol? It's not any more damaging than alcohol... and right now, many people are dying because they're smoking some mixed drugs (somebody already touched on this). If the government legalized it, the same people who are doing it now will probably continue (unless it suddenly becomes uncool now that it's legal and that's all they care about). But because it's now legalized, the government can ensure the stuff isn't tainted, the drug cartels would collapse (and therefore crime rate), the government can make a fortune off of taxing the stuff like they do for cigarettes.

If they're going to keep weed banned, I want to see them ban cigarettes and alcohol as well. And if they do that, I'm moving to the Netherlands.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

[SIZE=1] We should make the MCBO and the MLBO for marjuana and tax it to hell.
                  How very Canadians of you...

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                    It also makes me smile saddly when I see people fighting for it like it is the most important thing on earth
                    Illegal drug business actually affects society more than one believes. It causes crime, prostitution, spreads contagion, power to criminal groups, overdoses - to name some of the disastrous consequences.
                    Just think - how do we best spawn criminal activity? A: We illegalize something.
                    How do we best decrease criminal activity? A: We legalize something. If it isn't restricted, it will not be handled by criminal groups due to simple demand & supply-side economics.

Comment

Re: Why stop with marijuana?

Forget this... it is like the other opinion is not allowed.

I get called BAM if I even try to express my opinion. The other opinion is unsupported. The drug war will continue with body bags of drug dealers and traffikers as a result. The Colombian Army is declaring victory over the rebels, and has killed over 2,000 in the last three months. The Army estimates it lost less than a 100.

Comment

Oh, you poow widdle baby. Do you want a wowwy pop?
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                          Oh, you poow widdle baby. Do you want a wowwy pop?
                          This is exactly why some people here are communist *******s without a clue. They go ahead and call me BAM when themselves have nothing to back up their saying.

Comment

One thing that I don't understand - if marijuana is legalized and "taxed the hell out of", won't there still be a black market, etc. because people want to avoid these taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Oogkloot
                              One thing that I don't understand - if marijuana is legalized and "taxed the hell out of", won't there still be a black market, etc. because people want to avoid these taxes?
                              In the same sense, look at the huge black market for cigarettes...
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Also it's harder to do on the spot tests for it so stoned drivers would be a problem.........
                                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                                X