Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lord Of The Rings (Real reviews, please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord Of The Rings (Real reviews, please)

Going to see that movie in 30 minutes, just waiting for a friend to arrive here, than right into the car and on our way to fetch another one blabla and at some point we'll be at the cinema and watch that very movie

If the rumors are true, then I will see the White Tower of Ecthelion tonight

Why do you need reviews if you are going to have already seen it?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I posted a real review, you *****. I linked to a review of the movie too.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

He could at least post his review of the first half from the lobby, the lazy bastard!
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Re: Lord Of The Rings (Real reviews, please)

Originally posted by Ecthelion
          If the rumors are true, then I will see the White Tower of Ecthelion tonight
          Wasn't that Gondolin?
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

This thread is supposed to be for Apolyton posters who want to post their personal reviews. Not for whiners who want to **** about how sh!t their life is (chegitz ) and not for those who want t oread official ones either.

At Gondolin, Ecthelion was one of the fighters, and he killed Gothmog. But that was back in the First Age.

And I did see it, the White Tower of Ecthelion, in Minas Tirith

And U R all ignorant *****, so bugger off guys

I like the movie

Comment

bump

Comment

I'm going to watch the movie friday,
                I could only get tickets on the front row
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I like the movie
                  That's your review?

Comment

At Gondolin, Ecthelion was one of the fighters, and he killed Gothmog. But that was back in the First Age.

And I did see it, the White Tower of Ecthelion, in Minas Tirith
                    Oh that tower of Ecthelion
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                      I'm going to watch the movie friday,
                      I could only get tickets on the front row
                      I thought all movie thearters were general admission.

I'm going tonight.... yeah. I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...!
                      What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Again Ecthelion's moaning about nothing. You really ought to lighten up a bit...smoke some fags, play some pool...live a little...

I believe Rich and Dr Oogkloot saw the tower of Ecthelion as well a few months ago...

Manchester!!
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

i have tickets to see this at 530 this afternoon
                          yipeeeee i can't wait.
                          "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Spoilers for those who haven't read the books

Okay, f*ckin' wow. Better than I expected, and I had high hopes. Anyone who hasn't read the books but wants to see the movie, DON'T READ THIS!

The casting is excellent (okay, maybe not Liv Taylor as Arwen, but she still does a good job). Cate Blanchett makes a perfect Galadriel, I didn't think she was beautiful enough to pull it off (Galadriel is supposed to be the beautiful woman in Middle Earth), but she was incredible. Her moment of temptation when Frodo offers her the ring captures the scene better than Tolkien's words. She is definately the fairy-queene of old.

In fact, what struck me over and over was that Peter Jackson described Tolkien's world better than did Tolkien. Granted, Tolkien provided a greater depth than the movie does, but the history lessons of the book (which are absent in the film) would have truely slowed things down. Unnecessary characters are gone from the film, so I hope you weren't expecting Gil-Galad or Gloifindel. We all know Tom Bombadil and the Barrow WIghts are gone, and the movie suffers none for their loss.

Christopher Lee as Sauruman. Who else could be your wise and powerful friend and so smoothly reveal himself your enemy. He has all the charm of a cobra.

Could anyone but John Rhys-Davis play Gimli? Okay, Brian Breathed, but aren't they the same person, really? He is over the top, as all dwarves should be. His dislike for the elves is palpable and his pride is almost pompous. Watch for some great one-liners.

Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith from The Matrix) is nearly perfect as Elrond, except his face is to pock-marked for the perfect skin of an elf. Still, it's is petty quibble, except that every other elf looks as if they were bathed in Oil of Olay their entire lives. Other than that, he looks and acts as I always expected of Elrond. Okay, maybe his deilvery could use a little work, but it was good.

Boromir plays well the tormented youth from Gondor and you can see the conflict building within him as the ring weaves its spell upon him. His death scene is moving and believable, and as he dies you can see the anguish in his face is not because he dies, but because he cannot save Merry and Pippin. Like Gandalf's death, you know this is coming, and it still hits you hard. Well played, Sean Bean. Especailly enjoyable is his flip comment, "Oh, they have a cave troll," as if it wasn't bad enough having a zillion goblins coming for you.

Despite knowing the story, and everything that is coming, Galdalf's death hits you hard. When Frodo is run through in Moria and he collapses, we know he's not dead, but the look on his face as he is pierced, and the anguish on all of the rest of the characters makes you believe that he is killed, when you knowhe isn't. We know Boromir must die, and it is still a shock when it happens. These are great actors and the dircetor really outdid himself.

Then there's the scenery. The architecture of the elves is straight from the latice artwork of Alphone Mucha, both in Rivendell and Lothlorien. Everywhere are the little touches, the detail that went into making everything seem like it was in its place. The Shire seemed like the perfect English countryside. The landscapes were fantastic. Who knew Middle Earth was in New Zealand. Caligastia, why'd you ever leave!?!

And the villains. The Ringwraiths are terrifying. When Frodo puts on the ring on top of Amun Sul, you can see them at once as death and then as the majestic kings they once were, tragic and monstrous. When they chase Frodo and the elven rider towards the Fords of Bruinen, you know he's going to get away. You've read the books, you know how it ends. Yet it is one of the most tense scenes I've seen. You are on the edge of your seat, you have stopped breathing, you are scared.

The orcs are far more disgusting creatures than I ever imagined, and the effect of their swarming in Moria is like the scarab scenes in The Mummy. Not very scary, except when the company is surrounded by thousands of them. But then comes the Balrog.

Oh my god! The Balrog is awesome. Jackson gets the tension perfect. He only hints at the Balrog. Gandalf is terrified long before the rest of the company knows what they face. Only distant footsteps and the glow of flame announce the terrifying creature that hunts them. And when it appears, oh my god, it's a ****ing BALROG!

I'm gonna see this several times!
                            Last edited by chequita guevara; December 19, 2001, 17:18.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Again Ecthelion's moaning about nothing. You really ought to lighten up a bit...smoke some fags, play some pool...live a little...
                              I've smoked more stuff than you, greenhorn

I believe Rich and Dr Oogkloot saw the tower of Ecthelion as well a few months ago...
                              Don't forget about Zopper

Manchester!!

Comment

Working...
                              X