The EU's problem child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EU's problem child

Which of the EU countries poses the biggest obstacle to the EU, be it economically, politically, population in general, etc....

Some things to help you decide:
    • Greece, Portugal and Spain are the poorest countries in the EU (GDP per capita).
    • The UK, Sweden and Denmark have not participated in the Euro.
    • The French are arrogant and obstinant - demanding things be done in French and being the most "illegal" EU country when complying with EU laws.
    • Germany is seen as too dominant and can throw the EU out of balance if not kept in check.
    • The UK "didn't fight two world wars to be ruled by the Europeans".

OK now I am running short of bad things to say about the other countries. Provide some more info please people.
    • Benelux - Give names to nasty EU treaties, like Maastricht.
    • Ireland, Austria, Finland, Italy anyone? They tend to be quiet and compliant but do they do anything to help the EU either?

What are your biggest complaints/praises about EU countries in respect of integration.
    Portugal
    4.11%
    Spain
    2.74%
    France
    9.59%
    Ireland
    5.48%
    UK
    26.71%
    Netherlands
    3.42%
    Belgium
    4.11%
    Luxembourg
    2.74%
    Germany
    2.74%
    Denmark
    8.90%
    Sweden
    5.48%
    Finland
    3.42%
    Greece
    10.96%
    Italy
    6.16%
    Austria
    3.42%
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

• Italy - Ruled by corrupt media mongul who's main concern is making laws to protect himself.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Please, don't get me started on the EU!

However, I think the most anti-EU countries are the UK and Denmark, for different reasons each.

The most pro-EU country is definitely Belgium.
      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
      George Orwell

Comment

Ireland, because they will do everything in their power to hold up reform of the CAP.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

France. They disobey EU laws (by not lifting the ban on British beef). Though the UK hasn't joined the Euro, at least we obey the EU...

Comment

Spain is catching up rapidly with the rest of Europe. $18,000 per capita and growing fast. We still have an awful 12% or so unemployment rate, that is falling... more slowly because of the world-wide recession.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The UK I think, because of its size. Denmark, however, has reservations about participation on no less than four very central issues - the economic and monetary union, European defence policy co-operation, regulations about union citizenship and expanded judicial collaboration.

(Edit: I wonder who voted for Luxembourg)

Comment

Spain is catching up rapidly with the rest of Europe. $18,000 per capita and growing fast. We still have an awful 12% or so unemployment rate, that is falling... more slowly because of the world-wide recession.
                GDP per capita, 1999 (www.geohive.com):

Portugal: 15,300
                Greece: 13,900
                Spain: 17,300
                Ireland: 20,300
                Netherlands: 23,100

GDP per capita, 2000 (www.cia.gov):

Portugal: 15,800
                Greece: 17,200
                Spain: 18,000
                Ireland: 21,600
                Netherlands: 24,400

Unemployement, 2000 (www.cia.gov)

Portugal: 4.3%
                Greece: 11.3%
                Spain: 14%
                Ireland: 4.1%
                Netherlands: 2.6%

GDP (PPP) growth rate, 1999 (www.geohive.com)

Portugal: -
                Greece: 21.92%
                Spain: 6.39%
                Ireland: -
                Netherlands: 6.38%

GDP growth rate, 2000 (www.cia.gov)

Portugal: 2.7%
                Greece: 3.8%
                Spain: 4%
                Ireland: 9.8%
                Netherlands: 4%

In what ways exactly is Spain "catching up fast"? And where did you get the 12% unemployement rate from?
                Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

4% is a decent growth rate compared with the EU standard 2.5%. However it is now 1.9% compared to a .7% of the rest of the EU.

12% was the latest figure.

Why the heck are you against the Spanish and the progress they have made? Do me a favor shutup, and read the CIA factbook description. We had a bad economy.
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Personally I put Greece, Portugal and Spain at the top of my list.

Portugal for general poverty

Greece for unemployment and whatever trouble they're going to kick up if the Turks end up joining

Spain because it will piss somebody here off.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It depends on how you define an "obstacle"... obstacle to what? Integration? Efficiency? Reform?

Anyway, my twopenneth...

Reform of the CAP is essential given the ridiculous percentage of the EU budget it takes up. I don't think it is possible to overprioritise this. Problem children here are the (relatively) poorer countries who are net beneficiaries of CAP (Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Greece) and those who are scared stiff of their own farmers (France, possibly Italy?).

As far as integration goes, the UK is probably (and quite rightly!) the biggest obstacle. Due to size and influence, a strong EU (and probably a strong Euro) requires British participation to achieve full potential (this isn't national ego-massaging - the same would go for Germany or France, maybe Italy).

If Greece keeps detaining fellow EU-nationals on mickey-mouse charges, then it'll swiftly become not only a problem child but also a laughing stock.

And yes, France seem to want everything done "their way" and have the potential to cause the whole thing to fall flat on it's face sooner or later.
                      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        Spain because it will piss somebody here off.
                        Horsey, don´t quit your day job.

Comment

Everyone but Belgium.

Because everyone picks on Belgium.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I chose UK and Belgium.

UK because it's world famous for being an obstacle to EU development.

Belgium, because I just don't like the country

Comment

Andre :

anyway , everyone knows that EU is just an evil scheme by Belgium to take over the continent . notice that even now , if analists talk about the EU policy , they say 'Brussel's' position on the issue .

makes you thing...
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X