China:::They Ain't All Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sprayber

Hey, I live in a small city that is surrounded by rice and cotton farms. It has nothing to do with where you are, but what you have been told about other people.
    And let me guess, it insults you to be stereotyped as a brainless idiot who believes whatever others tell them, no doubts as it would offend the rice farmers in remoter regions of China to be reffered to as the same way.

In China as in all places, the are those who mindlessly believe what they are told, but there are far more who question.
    A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

David, Chinese ceased their xenophobism long time ago. Well, maybe not against the Japanese who dropped tons of Anthrax on Chinese villages and towns during the WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by Transcend
        David, Chinese ceased their xenophobism long time ago. Well, maybe not against the Japanese who dropped tons of Anthrax on Chinese villages and towns during the WW2.
        Though its hard not to notice that the Japanese way of life has altered incredibly since that time, and those anatgonisms though justly founded are perhaps outdated and best forgotten.
        A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
          Are you sure she wasn't a UR DL?
          oh well, I guess anything is possible.

Faboba:

And let me guess, it insults you to be stereotyped as a brainless idiot who believes whatever others tell them, no doubts as it would offend the rice farmers in remoter regions of China to be reffered to as the same way.
          Exactly where have I said that the rice farmers in the remote regions of China are anything? If I'm not mistaken I said people are basically the same everywhere and only view things according to how they were taught to. Anyway, this is a fun thread. It has nothing to do with rice farmers here, there or on the moon. It has to do with a very sweet and lovely girl from a Chinese city who doesn't seem to have near as many hang ups as people around here do.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Besides, she could watch CNN and find out more

Actually, few Chinese can watch CNN on television. CNN.com is blocked by the national internet firewall.

I believe they call non-Chinese "foreign devils"?

That's really a thing of the past. Now we are usually called waiguoren ("foreigner") or sometimes laowai (something like"respected foreigner").

Though its hard not to notice that the Japanese way of life has altered incredibly since that time, and those anatgonisms though justly founded are perhaps outdated and best forgotten.

Forgotten? You must have missed the recent controversies over the latest Japanese history textbook, the Prime Minister's visit to the war hero's shrine, Tokyo's handling of lawsuits involving wartime forced prostitution, etc. The issues are still very much alive for many in China and South Korea. However, young Japanese and Chinese do not seem to be much affected.
            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Just got through talking to her about Civ. And I don't even play the bloody game, but I figured that it was easier then trying to explain SMAC to her. She seemed interested in it but I have no idea when it would get there or if you could even get civ2 there or not. Anyway I we didn't talk long, she was sick and had to lay down. It's cool how the computer brings people together from opposite sides of the globe. Oh, and voice chat is great.

She even likes sci-fi stuff.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Your English is better than my Chinese would be if I studied it full time
                Got that right.

Wo shi waiguoren, ni ne?
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

"Actually, few Chinese can watch CNN on television. CNN.com is blocked by the national internet firewall."

-I believe I've heard it reffered to as the Great Firewall of China.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                    Got that right.

Wo shi waiguoren, ni ne?
                    Ye shi waiguoren. Ni shi naguoren?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
                      Are you sure she wasn't a UR DL?
                      Oh, Sprayber was whom my former roommate's bother-in-law's aunt's cousin's uncle's next door neighbour's sister talked to.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR:

Ta bu4 shi4 Zhongguo2 ren2??
                        Wo3 shi4 Mei3guo2 ren2.
                        Wo3 you3 liang3 ge nu3 hai2zi.
                        Tamen shi4 Zhongguo2 ren2.
                        Xingqi tian wo3men xue2 Zhongguo2 wen2.
                        Wo3 shuo yi2 dia3nr, xie3 yi2 dia3nr, zhidao2 er2 shi2 Zhongguo2 zi2.
                        Old posters never die.
                        They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                          UR:

Ta bu4 shi4 Zhongguo2 ren2??
                          Wo3 shi4 Mei3guo2 ren2.
                          Wo3 you3 liang3 ge nu3 hai2zi.
                          Tamen shi4 Zhongguo2 ren2.
                          Xingqi tian wo3men xue2 Zhongguo2 wen2.
                          Wo3 shuo yi2 dia3nr, xie3 yi2 dia3nr, zhidao2 er2 shi2 Zhongguo2 zi2.
                          My pinyin is definitely worse than yours

I think I got what you're saying after staring at the screen for minutes.

Just some nitpicks:

"yi2 dai3nr" is probably "yi2 dain3" if you want to say "a bit." "Dain3r" is mainly used by Beijingeses (those who were born in Beijing, or those who learned the local dialect).

"Zhongguo2 wen2" is not wrong but not the way it's customarily used. "Zhong wen2" is the standard form.

Shuo de bu cuo
                          Last edited by Urban Ranger; December 9, 2001, 01:59.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Oh, Sprayber was whom my former roommate's bother-in-law's aunt's cousin's uncle's next door neighbour's sister talked to.
                            Exactly where are you located at?

Speaking of family. She was slightly depressed that she only got to see her family ever so often. This was after I mentioned that I was visiting mine this weekend.

And I'll let all those other things pass without comments since I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

*goes off to find a Chinese to English dictionary*

Comment

No, No, No, you mistaken the Evil(and frankly quite moronic) communist government's agenda of taking over the world with what regular chinese citizens want(money).
                              Talk and chat in the Freebie and Webmaster Discussion Forums

Comment

Two years ago, I met Chris, a Chinese foreign exchange student to America. They're not suppossed to stay, they're suppossed to return to their home country. . .

He stayed.

He's currently in some New Mexico college or Arizona and doing really well.

He believed that the Dalai Lama was an evil-bandit figure when he came over here.

I consider him a success story.

By the way, does anyone know about the Chinese pyramids?
                                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                                Drake Tungsten
                                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                                Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                                X