Automatic or Manual (driving poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual.

I dunno..is it even possible to wheelspin in an automatic? How?
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

wheelspin in automatic? It's easy. Long as you have enough power and not too much weight on the wheels that power the vehicle.

It's super easy to do in front wheel drive saturns. And they probably have less than 100 HP

Comment

I learned on manual (so that's what I put down). Unfortunately we don't have a car, so I don't drive anything.

Anyway, automatic is preferable.
        Rome rules

Comment

Manuals are way better, you get much better acceleration and control.

Even with an automatic I have a tendency to leave my hand on the gearstick, force of habit - if I don't have my hand there I feel out of control of the vehicle.

and after being stuck more than once on the freeway in 2-3 hour traffic jams with my clutch leg about ready to fall off, I vowed to get an automatic on my next car

I tend to use the handbrake, and stick it in neutral.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

handbrake??

One shouldnt need clutch at all in a traffic jam....use the clutch to regulate speed and in need of a stop, drop into neutral and use brake. Give foot rest. When ready to move again, just put back into 1st. Sounds easy enough to me!
            I see the world through bloodshot eyes
            Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

You can also spin the wheels on an automatic by something that I think is called brake-torquing. You hold the brake in and press the accelerator until the car starts to kind of budge and twitch, then let off the brake and slam in the gas simultaneously for best affect. It works even on SUV's and minivans.

Comment

I have no problem spinning the wheels in my automatic. It's called winter, and we just got a crapload of it in the past week
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Manual. I learned to drive up the Rocky Mountains, and that gives you a very good appreciation for the difference between the two.

It's also quite nice for city driving. I don't know about anyone else, but I love the extra control a manual gives, even in the city. It helps that I've got a nice little Honda Civic EX, and the red-line on them is rather high When playing dodge-traffic with the kamikaze drivers on the interstate it comes in very handy to be able to downshift and accelerate 30 mph in a couple seconds.

Wraith
                  WARNING! Driver only carries $20.00 in ammunition

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                    Manual. I learned to drive up the Rocky Mountains, and that gives you a very good appreciation for the difference between the two.
                    Reminds me of a story.

After much driving around in the Rockies, Yellowstone park etc... a friend of mine got into a conversation with some other tourist who had been following us for much of the way.

He said "I think your taillight is shot out, it hardly ever works".

My friends reply "No, I just use second gear as a brake".

That is one good thing about manuals, going downhill is a lot safer.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Automatic. That last thing I want to worry about coming home during rush hour on the Washington Beltway or Bay Bridge, is shifting gears.

I just want the thing to get me where I'm going, I don't want to be 'one with the car.'
                      Last edited by Kyle; December 4, 2001, 21:02.
                      "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

That's called stalling Sloww, try using the clutch

I am quite used to driving a manual, quite like it actually, although autos are easy enough. I don't see any real need.
                        No crap, Provost? Wow! Thanks for the pearls of wisdom.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm with Kyle. Who cares about feeling more of a connection with the car? Just get me somewhere. And I'd feel safer if some people I drove with were able to keep both hands on the steering wheel 90% of the time .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

Reminds me of a story.

After much driving around in the Rockies, Yellowstone park etc... a friend of mine got into a conversation with some other tourist who had been following us for much of the way.

He said "I think your taillight is shot out, it hardly ever works".

My friends reply "No, I just use second gear as a brake".

That is one good thing about manuals, going downhill is a lot safer.
                            *Looks at auto tranny on truck*

*Notes the '2' and the '1' next to the 'D'*

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Eroberer
                              You can also spin the wheels on an automatic by something that I think is called brake-torquing. You hold the brake in and press the accelerator until the car starts to kind of budge and twitch, then let off the brake and slam in the gas simultaneously for best affect. It works even on SUV's and minivans.
                              Yep, that's a trick (preferably without wheelspin) used by drag racers with automatics to get a better jump at the start.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                Who cares about feeling more of a connection with the car? Just get me somewhere.
                                That's what happens to people who don't drive German cars
                                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                                X