Gibraltor to be given to Spain in the next decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltor to be given to Spain in the next decade

Wow I watched BBC last night. Apparently Spanish and British diplomats are negotiating it. It has been a thorn in the side of Spanish-Anglo Relations. And the EU has been pushing england to hand it over.....

Anyway hard to believe. The British empire.....once the mightiest and most feared on earth just 50 years ago has been reduced to this

Why reduced? Isn't the value of Gibraltar much lower in the age of air power?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It should be up to the population of Gibraltar who they want to be governed by.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        This is true. But its still would be very strategic in the event of war.

Also I meant 'reduced' by taking demands from the EU/spanish of all nations

Oi! King George III would tell you it looked good on the world map

He must be rolling in his grave.....

Gibraltor should stay british in my opinion. Or be given independence..... (not a bad idea? Autonomy)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          reduced as in taking demands from Spain/EU.

I would think that since the province is all anglo. Independence would work alot better.

King George III must be rolling in his grave

Comment

Crap i didnt think that first post made it (Server full error)

Comment

I think this means that the British Empire now consists of the Falklands and Pitcairn Island.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

PH - then they would be under british rule . do-h.

anyways , It should be spanish, in my opinion. not that it would matter , when the glorious EU will come.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

...and Diego Garcia.

Even the French still hold St. Pierre and Miquelon.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Its just difficult to think that British empire 50 years ago consisted of 1/3 of the world.

anyway I would tell the people at EU to keep there mouths shut and let the population of Gibralt'a'r hold a referendum on this issue.

British also have bermuda. (For what its worth)

Comment

Well I take this opportunity to say that Brits, despite their power (former and present) are very pleasant and not at all irritating, in contrast with, for example, the french.

They are not plagued by rampant nationalism, they are informed about other peoples' positions and not at all chauvinistic.

Especially our Apolyton bunch has surprised me pleasently more than one time.

Truly worthwhile people to be around (minus exceptions of course .

They don't try to show - off their country like the French do, they are very pragmatic, focused and (for greek standards) unbelivably organised.

I remember my english teachers at my secondary school. *they taught history and geography).

They were the best teachers I've had.

Greek teachers were plagued with their own misconceptions and trying to impose them on you for no good reason. And they didn't work very hard.

French teachers simply didn't care about the lessons. They were much more interested in talking about life, relationships, screw ups and wonders in ones life than actually teaching the lesson.

And during my journeys to England and France, the difference is staggering. The french just try to demonstrate how «superior» they think they are. The english are much more «cosmopolitan» and polite.

Of course such generalizations are doomed to do injustice to many people but that's what I've gathered.

Comment

What is it about Spanish speakers that make them want British territory?

The only thing the EU has stuck its nose in about is the tax haven offshore status it has. Amusing given that it is not offshore.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Because we stole it from them?
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I say make it a commonwealth and give it independence. hell...its only 40,000 people or so anyway.

I think its stupid to allow a shadow, powerless confederation of nations like EU meddle in these kind of things.

btw- Was Gibraltor taken by force or what? Seems to me that during World War 2 all it would of taken was a thousand spanish or Italian troops to take it. Then the British Empire would be cut from supplys from India and middle east.

Comment

Well if the populace want the status quo to remain, then logically, that is what should happen. I can hardly see the Spanish attempting an invasion.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X